Thread: BSA Meteor MK I help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA Meteor MK I help

Hi chaps, not been on for years but still shooting now and again.

Decided to strip down my old Meteor (T prefix MK I) and I'm not sure if something is missing from the piston head assembly. The gun is very original AFAIK.

Please see pic - the piston head fits into a keyhole type aperture on the end of the piston but is loose on there when central - is there supposed to be a circlip or something or another washer to make it a tighter fit??

Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Piston head,leather seal,buffer and two bearing washers,all present and correct.

If and when you replace the buffer the fit to the piston will tighten up.....until you fire the gun,no circlip needed.

Thanks for that - so is the thicker middle washer the buffer? When assembled I can pull the head forward a mm or two. Should I add another washer to tighten it?

mk1

i ALSO BOUGHT AND STRIPPED a mk1, cleaned and polished it internaly , bought a new leather piston/buffer washer, looking at the old and new buffer washer side by side, i thought they had sold me the wrong one,so during the call he explained that over the years the old washer had been compressed hence the different thickness, so if i was you i would buy a new buffer/ piston/breech washer

Cheers, just to be clear - is the 'buffer' we're talking about - the thicker rubber/plastic black washer in the centre of the pic?

Sorry if coming across as a bit dumb here but ".....until you fire the gun,no circlip needed." How do you mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Cheers, just to be clear - is the 'buffer' we're talking about - the thicker rubber/plastic black washer in the centre of the pic?

Sorry if coming across as a bit dumb here but ".....until you fire the gun,no circlip needed." How do you mean exactly?
    The piston head is held on with the key hole shaped slot. Once it and the piston are in the cylinder it cannot come off.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk