Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Meteor MK I help

BSA Meteor MK I help

Hi chaps, not been on for years but still shooting now and again.

Decided to strip down my old Meteor (T prefix MK I) and I'm not sure if something is missing from the piston head assembly. The gun is very original AFAIK.

Please see pic - the piston head fits into a keyhole type aperture on the end of the piston but is loose on there when central - is there supposed to be a circlip or something or another washer to make it a tighter fit??

Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Piston head,leather seal,buffer and two bearing washers,all present and correct.

If and when you replace the buffer the fit to the piston will tighten up.....until you fire the gun,no circlip needed.

Thanks for that - so is the thicker middle washer the buffer? When assembled I can pull the head forward a mm or two. Should I add another washer to tighten it?

mk1

i ALSO BOUGHT AND STRIPPED a mk1, cleaned and polished it internaly , bought a new leather piston/buffer washer, looking at the old and new buffer washer side by side, i thought they had sold me the wrong one,so during the call he explained that over the years the old washer had been compressed hence the different thickness, so if i was you i would buy a new buffer/ piston/breech washer

Cheers, just to be clear - is the 'buffer' we're talking about - the thicker rubber/plastic black washer in the centre of the pic?

Sorry if coming across as a bit dumb here but ".....until you fire the gun,no circlip needed." How do you mean exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Cheers, just to be clear - is the 'buffer' we're talking about - the thicker rubber/plastic black washer in the centre of the pic?

Sorry if coming across as a bit dumb here but ".....until you fire the gun,no circlip needed." How do you mean exactly?
    The piston head is held on with the key hole shaped slot. Once it and the piston are in the cylinder it cannot come off.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Got it. So is it normal to have a little play (1-2mm forward/back) or should the fit be reasonably tight? Gun fires fine I must say, power last time I tested about 6.5 so tired but accurate and works fine for indoor target stuff.

Just to follow up last post - I'm not sure how worn the main spring and leather washer are - could be original for all I know...

Power last tested was around 6 lb ft. Should they be putting out nearer 9?

Any recommendations for a good original spec spring/leather washer in the UK?

Just to follow up last post - I'm not sure how worn the main spring and leather washer are - could be original for all I know...

Power last tested was around 6 lb ft. Should they be putting out nearer 9?

Any recommendations for a good original spec spring/leather washer in the UK?

Meteor spares here click on the diagram for the parts you want,

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...2B%2526%2BMk2/

If your MK1 is .22 it should be capable of 8.5 to 9ftlbs.

Buffer washer, http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...rt-No.-16-995/

Piston washer, http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...t-No.-16-1048/

Spring, http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...t-No.-16-1035/
    Last edited by mrto; 25-01-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I think it's worth doing as the rest of the gun is so original for it's age and in generally excellent condition with a pleasing patina.

Only annoying thing is I snapped the little leaf spring under the sight on dismantling but I can fashion something although it's not really needed as the sliding part is tight enough. Also the small runner part under the front of the sight perished but I replaced that with a small square cut from a rubber washer.

I have found though even on the lowest/closest setting (ie slider all the way back) that it still shoots 2 inches high indoors at say 25 ft.

No problem,the MK1's are the best of the Meteor's and definitely worth saving!

I have found though even on the lowest/closest setting (ie slider all the way back) that it still shoots 2 inches high indoors at say 25 ft.
    You need a taller front sight then

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

The rear sight should have a tiny coil spring located in a hole at the front of the base.

Be careful when refitting it to the barrel,it's easy to separate the base from the dovetail section,the two are held together with a single spot weld.

A new replacement standard mainspring should be around 240mm long,cheapest supplier protek supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    You need a taller front sight then

Matty
    Just before I read that I noticed the screw in the front sight! - they certainly made these junior guns to a high standard in the good old days.

[goes to workshop to make new taller front sight]

EDIT: See Knibbs has these too - mine is currently the lowest he stocks 9mm = A (I).
    Last edited by felix gunner; 25-01-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    The rear sight should have a tiny coil spring located in a hole at the front of the base.

Be careful when refitting it to the barrel,it's easy to separate the base from the dovetail section,the two are held together with a single spot weld.

A new replacement standard mainspring should be around 240mm long,cheapest supplier protek supplies.
    Ahhh, mine had a small rubber piece that seemed original as it had a dimple at the base to fit in the hole?

To replace it I drifted out the pin in the main sight assembly that the moving part (that holds the slider) pivots on...