Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BSA Meteor MK I help

Hi,

I have an original front bead sight blade for a MK1 Meteor marked 44, it is 11.25mm in overall height and comes with the grub screw. You can have it FOC if you PM me an address to send it to, or, if you're feeling flush, just chuck a few coins in a charity box to cover postage, sound fair?

Cheers,
    Dave
    blah blah

Dave - so sorry I totally forgot about this topic, having got so tied up with my 77k lately and have not checked back here!

If the offer still stands that is very kind of you and I will do the charity thing and PM you!

Back to the power thing - having now shot the Meteor a fair bit it has dropped right off again so I really think the spring is toast - I have a WTD out for a Meteor spring as I want to try modding it and would rather do this on a cheaper spring if possible.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

I will throw in another Meteor question to save a new topic.

I understand the rear of the action was spot welded - behind the trigger and into which the rear stock screw fits.

Mine like many has unwelded itself and when released is sprung open about 2mm and the two halves of the trigger plate are opened slightly.

This does not seem to be a big issue as when mounted the stock clamps it back together and the rear screw then holds it all fine.

BUT - the trigger pins are pretty loose and not peened over either end - I was thinking of using M3 stainless steel roll pins (3.3mm un-expanded) - is this a good/bad idea?

For my Webley pistols in the past I have used shanks of new HSS 3.0mm cut to size and these work perfectly but the Meteor pins appear to be 3.1mm or so. I cannot fit longer pins and peen them over as I don't think they will hold in the 'springy' apart trigger plates.

This reads back terribly and may make no sense...
    Last edited by felix gunner; 12-02-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Could you not have the cylinder rewelded?,either another resistance weld or a mig plug.

Could do but you have given me an idea to drill a couple of 4mm holes maybe and use the above mentioned roll pins in there peened over. It's under little stress as the stock and rear screw holds it together. It could then be mini plug welded later if need be when I get a chance...

Well, sometimes (more often than not) you think I'll just try something and it all goes wrong.

Other times it's wow - that really works.

The roll pin idea worked a treat and is an easy way to sort the failed welds on these without resorting to the welder.

I used 3mm SS pins and left a little proud following the grinding. Holds together very well now and the trigger mounting plates no longer want to spread apart once the stock screw is out:

Finally got round to installing the new spring (seemingly an exact match in OD/ID etc) and this raised power from 4.82 to 9.29. BUT trigger was absolutely on/off and it's pretty harsh and twangy in the extreme and horrible to shoot now.

So, shortened/collapsed to same length as old spring - power down to 7.26 now but still pretty much as twangy and jumpy and horrid to shoot.

Old spring is pretty canted in places but super smooth and a pleasure to shoot..

Any suggestions - try another spring? Don't really want to go to the trouble with this old thing of installing delrin bits and sleeved bobs - they never had them originally.
    Last edited by felix gunner; 27-02-2019 at 10:04 AM.