Thread: Lincoln Jeffries / BSA 1906 Bayonet Under Lever Rifle

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Lincoln Jeffries / BSA 1906 Bayonet Under Lever Rifle

Good evening to the elite of the BBS (those who frequent this, the Gentlemens Section). I have a quandary. I have what I believe to be a 1906 Lincoln Jeffries Model 'H' with a straight / shotgun style stock and bayonet ended under lever in .177. The top of the action tube is stamped something like 'Mod H Lincoln Jefferies".

I have had this rifle for five years, and always believed it to be exactly as described, but with the anomaly of having the BSA piled arms three rifle logo embossed on it's shotgun straight stock (as it is widely known that during assembly, if parts were short, accomodating and interchangeable components from other air guns being produced by the BSA factory would often be used, said stock stamping has never worried me).

A friend with an interest in both LJ and BSA pre WWI air rifles has today cross referenced the serial number of my gun though, and has found that the serial number as on the trigger action appears to correlate not to an LJ, but to a 6th batch BSA of the day.

This in mind, could the above serial number discrepancy be another classic example of the mix and match BSA factory air gun assembly techniques of the era (as indeed I hope), or could it be that my rifle is actually an aftermarket amalgam hybrid as put together by an artisan gunsmith at some juncture in the distant past?

All the components and sections fit together and marry up perfectly, however, which would suggest all is well and factory fitted, and it shoots superbly, too (further suggesting that all the component parts are working in complete harmony). But I am now curious as to my rifle's pedigree, although in essence, being 112 years old, whatever its heritage (BSA bitsa or shed build bastard), it is a wonderful curio from before the First World War.

Thoughts please. Many thanks: Gareth.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 03-02-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: now sold.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.