Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Jeffries / BSA 1906 Bayonet Under Lever Rifle

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Lincoln Jeffries / BSA 1906 Bayonet Under Lever Rifle

Good evening to the elite of the BBS (those who frequent this, the Gentlemens Section). I have a quandary. I have what I believe to be a 1906 Lincoln Jeffries Model 'H' with a straight / shotgun style stock and bayonet ended under lever in .177. The top of the action tube is stamped something like 'Mod H Lincoln Jefferies".

I have had this rifle for five years, and always believed it to be exactly as described, but with the anomaly of having the BSA piled arms three rifle logo embossed on it's shotgun straight stock (as it is widely known that during assembly, if parts were short, accomodating and interchangeable components from other air guns being produced by the BSA factory would often be used, said stock stamping has never worried me).

A friend with an interest in both LJ and BSA pre WWI air rifles has today cross referenced the serial number of my gun though, and has found that the serial number as on the trigger action appears to correlate not to an LJ, but to a 6th batch BSA of the day.

This in mind, could the above serial number discrepancy be another classic example of the mix and match BSA factory air gun assembly techniques of the era (as indeed I hope), or could it be that my rifle is actually an aftermarket amalgam hybrid as put together by an artisan gunsmith at some juncture in the distant past?

All the components and sections fit together and marry up perfectly, however, which would suggest all is well and factory fitted, and it shoots superbly, too (further suggesting that all the component parts are working in complete harmony). But I am now curious as to my rifle's pedigree, although in essence, being 112 years old, whatever its heritage (BSA bitsa or shed build bastard), it is a wonderful curio from before the First World War.

Thoughts please. Many thanks: Gareth.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 03-02-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: now sold.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I read an article recently where the author said that a well meaning owner could bring about the premature demise of a stock.

Lubricating the action and standing the gun upright, allowing the mix to soak into the timber.

According to the John Knibbs book, the sixth batch BSA's first came out in Feb/March 1907.

And by action tube do you mean top of the cylinder? Im sure they were stamped H the Lincoln and not Lincoln Jeffries Mod.H

If you could provide the serial number it would make things a lot clearer.

A bit odd but you could have a early batch Lincoln jeffries which has had another stock put on at a later date, or it could be a BSA made H the lincoln (but I believe only the early models made by BSA were stamped H the lincoln or Lincoln jeffries pattern).

Or I could just be getting things muddled up. Like I said a serial number will tell us exactly what it is (at least what the trigger block is off. if it is a bitsa)

But still, dont think I have ever seen one stamped Lincoln Jeffries Mod.H so I am a bit confused but very intrigued.

Hi Gareth,

There should be a serial number on the inside of the cocking arm that is supposed to match the serial number on the trigger block.
    Have a look if you can find one, and see if they match....sometimes the cocking arm doesn't have one though.

I'd be suprised if the H.Model cylinder and BSA trigger block were factory assembled, as technically they are two different brands, albeit both manufactured by BSA.
    It's definately possible though.

Not sure if the cylinder and trigger block were screwed together first, then drilled for the trigger bolts. That would mean they probably were not interchangable.

Hope someone can shed some light on it for you.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I read an article recently where the author said that a well meaning owner could bring about the premature demise of a stock.

Lubricating the action and standing the gun upright, allowing the mix to soak into the timber.
    Yes, I have heard of that, so thanks for the considered thought, as you may very well be on the money.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post

According to the John Knibbs book, the sixth batch BSA's first came out in Feb/March 1907.

And by action tube do you mean top of the cylinder? Im sure they were stamped H the Lincoln and not Lincoln Jeffries Mod.H

If you could provide the serial number it would make things a lot clearer.

A bit odd but you could have a early batch Lincoln jeffries which has had another stock put on at a later date, or it could be a BSA made H the lincoln (but I believe only the early models made by BSA were stamped H the lincoln or Lincoln jeffries pattern).

Or I could just be getting things muddled up. Like I said a serial number will tell us exactly what it is (at least what the trigger block is off. if it is a bitsa)

But still, dont think I have ever seen one stamped Lincoln Jeffries Mod.H so I am a bit confused but very intrigued.
    Hi. Yes I mean the stamping on the cylinder, and word for word the stamping actually says:

H THE "LINCOLN" AIR RIFLE. PATENT 8761/04.

The serial number on the trigger block is: 14937. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post

Hi Gareth,

There should be a serial number on the inside of the cocking arm that is supposed to match the serial number on the trigger block.
    Have a look if you can find one, and see if they match....sometimes the cocking arm doesn't have one though.

I'd be suprised if the H.Model cylinder and BSA trigger block were factory assembled, as technically they are two different brands, albeit both manufactured by BSA.
    It's definately possible though.

Not sure if the cylinder and trigger block were screwed together first, then drilled for the trigger bolts. That would mean they probably were not interchangable.

Hope someone can shed some light on it for you.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Thanks for the indicator, Matt, I will have a good look on the under side of the under lever for a number in the daylight of tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi. Yes I mean the stamping on the cylinder, and word for word the stamping actually says:

H THE "LINCOLN" AIR RIFLE. PATENT 8761/04.

The serial number on the trigger block is: 14937. Many thanks.
    Yes it is a 6th batch BSA.

Right I personally think it might be a bitsa. My reason for doing so is that the early BSA rifles would have had "THE BSA AIR RIFLE (LINCOLN JEFFRIES PATTERN) stamped on the cylinder. But that is only on the first few batches of BSA rifles (they dropped the "LINCOLN JEFFRIES PATTERN" in 1906 and just had "THE BSA AIR RIFLE" or "BSA AIR RIFLE).

So it looks like a cylinder and barrel off a Lincoln but a trigger block and stock off a BSA. I dont think it would have left the factory like that since the two parts were made in separate places (LJ was still making them in his workshop at this time). I have found in some Bitsa I have owned that if you are lucky you can get some parts that fit together and make a bloody decent rifle. That is what I think this is. Though like someone else has said, check to see if there is a serial number under the barrel (it will be hidden by the lever) Though I have only seen the later ones (Standards and CS models) have their serial numbers stamped in this place.

Im sure someone with more knowledge on here will help the truth come to light!

Thanks ​Huttles94. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post

Though like someone else has said, check to see if there is a serial number under the barrel (it will be hidden by the lever) Though I have only seen the later ones (Standards and CS models) have their serial numbers stamped in this place.
    Cheers again. On the underside of the barrel down near the cocking lever pivot point is the number 49. Any significance?

Cheers again. On the underside of the barrel down near the cocking lever pivot point is the number 49. Any significance?
    Hi Gareth,

If you remove the tap cover, the tap should be stamped with the same number.

I would have expected the rifle to have a Lincoln stamped stock if it were a Lincoln, so chances are a previous owner may have swapped parts around to make up a working gun. You just need to look on t'bay to see these old classics being parted out on a regular basis.

John

Cheers John, but no cover on the left side of the tap to remove, as it has a knurled round wheel instead, and am loathed to remove this to check ...

With a BSA number on the trigger sction however, it is more than just the stock that would need exchanging to make it a pure representation of a marque, however, so the way I see it, I have five options:

1) Obtain and fit a BSA cylinder tube so that everything is all BSA;
    2) Obtain and fit an LJ stamped trigger action and stock so that all is LJ;
    3) Keep and leave as is, as has obviously been this way for the better part of the last 100 years;
    4) Sell as is — ensuring the buyer knew it was an artisan hybrid gun, or ...
    5) Break it for its component parts and sell off all as spares to renovators?

Thoughts please.

Is this the one I sold you Gareth?
    If so I know nothing!- per Manuel

With a BSA number on the trigger sction however, it is more than just the stock that would need exchanging to make it a pure representation of a marque, however, so the way I see it, I have five options:

1) Obtain and fit a BSA cylinder tube so that everything is all BSA;
    2) Obtain and fit an LJ stamped trigger action and stock so that all is LJ;
    3) Keep and leave as is, as has obviously been this way for the better part of the last 100 years;
    4) Sell as is — ensuring the buyer knew it was an artisan hybrid gun, or ...
    5) Break it for its component parts and sell off all as spares to renovators?
    If I elected to go for option 4) as above, what sort of price should I expect (will get some photos up to help with value via a hosting site just as soon as I set up an account with one ).

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

Is this the one I sold you Gareth?
    If so I know nothing!- per Manuel
    Yes my friend, it is, and for the five years I’ve had it I’ve been very happy with it, but as it now transpires it isn’t all 100% LJ, I may move it on — or adjust it accordingly?