Thread: Reduced velocity .223"

Reduced velocity .223"

Can anyone recommend a load for .223" Remington using REACH compliant powder that would give muzzle velocity under 2150 fps? It is for plinking with a Mini-14. Thanks in advance, Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo Jones View Post
    Can anyone recommend a load for .223" Remington using REACH compliant powder that would give muzzle velocity under 2150 fps? It is for plinking with a Mini-14. Thanks in advance, Jimbo
    Vihtavourhi Tinstar would be a trailboss equivalent, i bought a rifle recently with tinstar for 0.223 rifle went back so i don't have the data but if you know someone with QL they could work up a load for you
    Thanks for looking

Thanks 223AI, I'll have a look into Tin Star

Why not consider cast lead boolits and use of pistol powders to get velocities around 1200 to 1500 fps?

Hi dodgyrog, I'm afraid I don't know anything about cast boolits, always seemed like a dark art to me. Can you buy cast lead .223" or would I have to actually make them myself by melting wheel weights? I don't fancy that to be honest

Reduced loads .223 bullets...

Any pistol or shotgun powder...cast bullets or the H and N copper plated lead bullets...work well up to 2150fps.

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    Any pistol or shotgun powder...cast bullets or the H and N copper plated lead bullets...work well up to 2150fps.

amc577
    Cast .223 boolits have been driven as fast as 3500fps in the USA but then they are a bit OTT! Lol
    The trick to cast boolits is to get the boolit fit to the rifle correct and to remove ALL copper fouling in the rifle barrel.

havent reloaded since the handgun ban but there was a load using Hercules 2400

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    Cast .223 boolits have been driven as fast as 3500fps in the USA but then they are a bit OTT! Lol
    The trick to cast boolits is to get the boolit fit to the rifle correct and to remove ALL copper fouling in the rifle barrel.
    That's why cast for anything other than plinking aren't worth the effort for me.
    Thanks for looking

H&N Sub loads

I am using H&N 55gn roundnose bullets from BlackRifle, loading them with 4gns of Hogdons TiteGroup powder with a kapok filler,Very easy to shoot and extremely accurate out to about 40 yds,
    I can pull .75 inch 3 to 5 shot groups at 30 yds no problem.

https://www.blackrifle.co.uk/HN-Spor.../hn-224-55.htm

Please note, I accept no liability for data published in this post and all persons using should do so at their own risk..

Reduced velocity.223

I haven't tried myself but one lad at my local club uses 6 grains of unique with 50 grain bullet in .222 it's under 2100fps