Thread: Local gunsmith

Local gunsmith

Does anybody know of a good gunsmith local to Epsom Surrey? I’ve a bsa ultra that needs attention. Owned it for 4 years and only ever used it in the garden plinking cans, the other night a mate came over and we put it through his chrono and I wasn’t impressed at the 9.5ftlb it was making. I’m only after a service and the power put to 11ftlb.
    Last edited by T 20; 27-01-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakingstuff View Post
    Does anybody know of a good gunsmith local to Epsom Surrey? I’ve a bsa ultra that needs attention. Owned it for 4 years and only ever used it in the garden plinking cans, the other night a mate came over and we put it through his chrono and I wasn’t impressed at the 9.5ftlb it was making. I’m only after a service and the power put to 11ftlb.
    Only to ask, Have you tried a selection of pellets, I use a skan unit and some pellets make a big difference, Just wanted to mention ok bud,

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Only to ask, Have you tried a selection of pellets, I use a skan unit and some pellets make a big difference, Just wanted to mention ok bud,
    Yes mate we tried 4 different brands inc bismags

By the time a local smithy services it, the price difference (if there is one) between a basic job and a JB Blueprint will be pointless
    Only with a Blueprint the rifle will be massively nicer and more consistent to shoot, guaranteed too for as long as you own it
    JB can arrange courier collection and delivery too so all hassle free .......
    0121 745 4287

Leave a message and he WILL call you back ..

It's a difference you have to experience to appreciate, I used to be skeptical, but now the only PCP's I shoot are JB'd BSA's
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Breakingstuff View Post
    If you've been happy with it for 4 years & only use it for garden plinking then leave it alone you'll get less shots at 11fpe anyway.

I wouldn't bother with Bismags especially with the short barrel.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I wouldn’t be happy with a rifle not working correctly
    I also disagree with the Bis Mags post, I would be thinking a heavy pellet for any 177 BSA especially older ones MMC etc
    Although HW heavies seem to outperform Bis Mags in every BSA I’ve tried they are brother and sister pellets
    Many an Ultra shoot heavies as their diet
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    I wouldn’t be happy with a rifle not working correctly
    Just because the power is set low does not mean it's "not working correctly",
    it only means that the power is set further under the maximum legally allowed, than most people seem to demand .

The OP doesn't indicate any issue, or that the performance has changed, only that now he's seen a number & it's not pushing the limit he wants more.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    it only means that the power is set further under the maximum legally allowed, than most people seem to demand .

The OP doesn't indicate any issue, or that the performance has changed, only that now he's seen a number & it's not pushing the limit he wants more.
    agree 100%

for backyard shooting, 9 fp is plenty. most match rifles are around 7, so accuracy not really an issue. id go for the increased shot count and reduced noise any day unless shooting live quarry or doing ft/hft where the trajectory comes into play.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

This plus the OP has only found it unacceptable until a mate did a chroni which as under power.
    one could argue he should have done chrono testing himself on a fairly regular basis. And exactly how much difference will 11.5 do to a can in a garden that 9.5 cant.
    If you are a hunter...you have a point. As a back yard plinker i think its not a big deal. It wont be wrong to up it but really...what is it bringing to the party. Plus buy a combro. The REAL issue isnt low power...its if it goes hot and to date you have been very remiss not to check this..45 quid for peace of mind........cheaper and ultimate upgrade when there is absolutely no advantage to you whatsoever.
    Last edited by Steyr; 01-02-2019 at 07:56 PM.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill