Supported kneel or stand (not the supported stander)up until a few years ago were limited to 35yds for 35mm to 45mm hit zone. Some bright spark thought that wasn't challenging enough so 40mm out to 40yds came about, however with a caveat, that anybody who cannot kneel, must be given the option of a support if choosing to take the shot standing. After a couple of years the minimum hole size was reduced down to 35mm.

To the best of my knowledge there are some tolerances built into a UKAHFT course measurements if targets are challenged.

In SiHFT it is written into our rules that once the course has been checked all targets stand and none can be removed with the course checker taking their ineptitude squarely on their chin for allowing a fluck up by the course setters to go unchallenged before the start of the competition.

However you yourself Lol take exception to the 8yarder not being allowed to stand if it is closer than 8yds. I would argue that it is the same for all distances regarding what hole sizes are allowed where. The people who attend who are competetive set their kit up to play the game they have paid their money to enter and invested lots of time and money into it as well. Often they play the percentages on certain shots putting their 13 or 45yd aim point into respective targets. Is it right they come out of the bottom of either of these targets because of poor lazy course setting? No of course it's not that has cost then 2% so yes they should be able to challenge the targets legality and if it is wrong even by an inch then yes it should be pulled if the rules so allow. If you get knocked on your arse in the ring you don't get an eleven count do you.

HFT is very inclusive and at most shoots we have an idea who will do well on the day and who probably won't whose come for a laugh and who has come to compete. All have a good time in their own way. All deserve to have a quality days entertainment with legal targets conforming to the rules that have advertised as being followed. If the said rules have been infringed by the course setters then they should be prepared to fall on their swords. My shed is full of tapes they aren't that expensive and if people are lazy enough to use a digital rangefinder to set a course that has targets set on their limits then they should prepare themselves for complaints and targets getting pulled. People don't come out to shoot 12yd 15mm or 46yd 35mm. They won't at my club and my club members especially the ones who put in the time and effort to set courses shouldn't be expected to shoot none conforming targets at other clubs when they are paying for the privelage.

Monkey.