Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springer repeater or single shot? Military style, Umarex Colt M4? Gamo?

Springer repeater or single shot? Military style, Umarex Colt M4? Gamo?

Been searching like mad but can find absolutely no talk of the Umarex Colt M4 military style break barrel springer as below - anyone bought one?

Thinking of a fun plinker for my lad (and this bigger kid ) and the military style appeals and ticks a lot of boxes.

Any others guns produced in this style by Gamo or others (looking for a used example really from the last ten years or so)?

Or are there any modern springer repeaters military style maybe similar to the Sussex Jackal of old?

https://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/new...t-m4-1-5591031

Last edited by felix gunner; 09-02-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Hi Max,

I love the Umarex M4 - top performance from a top looker. A generation ahead of the Gamos and Jackals I grew up with.

I've pictured one in my regular Airgun World column, in the March issue.

Kind regards,

John

There has been chat on here about the Umarex.
    Their M4 is an entertaining rifle.

I bought one because it is a well made springer that packs a real punch and gives you lots to play with.
    Mine has a red dot and a posh airsoft rear sight.

Good value too.

Johns review in Airgun World made me look closely at it ,rather than ignoring it in the shop as I had been doing.

I bought one, it was full of oil and deiselling badly, cleaned it out and relubed it then it was low powered (7/8 ftlbs) so stripped it again and noticed the rod in the middle of the piston was not very straight - the Gunshop tried to straighten it but its not been successful so I am waiting for a replacement piston and then I hope it will be OK.

Thanks guys, could not find any topics or sales of them but I might be cr@p at using the search!

It does look great value being full power too [edit: sorry to hear that Michael above] with a nice manageable weight and shortish length. As much as I love my 77K I find the old MkI Meteor more fun in a way and a heck of a lot less tiring to hold...

I was checking out some YT vids last night on them and Rune Rebel had a test on the M4 and remarked on the sights being a bit wonky - I use open sights so how have you found your examples?

Pellet-firing M16/M4 lookalikes (some more accurate replicas than others):

SMK Milbro SYNM16 (springer)

SMK Nova Vista M4 (pump-up)

Crosman NTR77 (gas piston)

Crosman M4-177 (pump-up)

Also Crosman MK-177, FN SCAR lookalike (pumper).

And a variety of “tactical” springers that aren’t lookalikes of real military weapons but have M4-style stocks, and separate pistol grips, if you look around.

Not recommending any of them. Most I haven’t handled, let alone shot. Almost all are cheap plinkers, sold on looks not performance.

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Thanks guys, could not find any topics or sales of them but I might be cr@p at using the search!

It does look great value being full power too [edit: sorry to hear that Michael above] with a nice manageable weight and shortish length. As much as I love my 77K I find the old MkI Meteor more fun in a way and a heck of a lot less tiring to hold...

I was checking out some YT vids last night on them and Rune Rebel had a test on the M4 and remarked on the sights being a bit wonky - I use open sights so how have you found your examples?
    Solid Back Up Iron Sight (BUIS) on mine with positive adjustments. However, I have fitted an optic on the basis the in line stock offers exactly the same height sight line for optics as the BUIS. An ACOG lookalike looks the part too and extends the range, as does the high power output.

If you don't need the extra power and fancy a multi shot, what about the CO2 powered Hellboy - a very realistic M4 replica with lots of moving parts?

Kind regards,

John

Thanks Geezer. John, not really a Co2 fan (apart from my Maks) so has to be a springer this time.

Any repeater sprinters about?

Although the reviews seem good I did fine the following posted from some users in another topic (see below).

How are those who bought one getting on with it and is it holding up OK?

And has anyone stripped one?

Before...a tin of Hobbies ...within a month, the plastic "Lower Receiver" part of the gun, incorporating the Mag Well, Trigger/Guard, Pistol Grip and Shoulder Stock worked itself loose from the mostly metal "Upper Receiver", which includes the spring, barrel and other associated gubbins. The last shot I fired with that gun was accompanied by a disturbing "CRACK!" from within the plastic component and the trigger jammed... the plastic part of the gun is fixed to the metal part by a single machine screw which passes through a moulded sleeve. This sleeve had fractured/split and obstructed the trigger mechanism, rendering the gun unusable.

...sent me a replacement...less than six weeks and less than 350 Hobbies down the barrel, The plastic is coming loose.....AGAIN!...

And another user:

I bought one earlier this year, its crap. I've had the Same problem with the plastic bit breaking. Also it was only doing 7/8 ftlbs after I'd removed the oil from it - it seemed like it had been dipped in a bucket of oil and it was dripping from the spring.

I thought it would have been better quality( I've got a couple of umarex walthers and they are great) than it actually is but its a complete ****

Although the reviews seem good I did fine the following posted from some users in another topic (see below).

How are those who bought one getting on with it and is it holding up OK?

And has anyone stripped one?

Before...a tin of Hobbies ...within a month, the plastic "Lower Receiver" part of the gun, incorporating the Mag Well, Trigger/Guard, Pistol Grip and Shoulder Stock worked itself loose from the mostly metal "Upper Receiver", which includes the spring, barrel and other associated gubbins. The last shot I fired with that gun was accompanied by a disturbing "CRACK!" from within the plastic component and the trigger jammed... the plastic part of the gun is fixed to the metal part by a single machine screw which passes through a moulded sleeve. This sleeve had fractured/split and obstructed the trigger mechanism, rendering the gun unusable.

...sent me a replacement...less than six weeks and less than 350 Hobbies down the barrel, The plastic is coming loose.....AGAIN!...

And another user:

I bought one earlier this year, its crap. I've had the Same problem with the plastic bit breaking. Also it was only doing 7/8 ftlbs after I'd removed the oil from it - it seemed like it had been dipped in a bucket of oil and it was dripping from the spring.

I thought it would have been better quality( I've got a couple of umarex walthers and they are great) than it actually is but its a complete ****

Mine is shooting fine after several months and several tins of pellet Max.

I'd be interested in where the single screw and sleeve you mention are located, just so I can keep an eye on them and maybe add some loctite?

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

I'd be interested in where the single screw and sleeve you mention are located, just so I can keep an eye on them and maybe add some loctite?

Kind regards,

John
    My thoughts too John - wonder if anyone has stripped one down? Guessing once all the plastic is removed it’s very naked and obvious. I did look at the SMK Milbro £100 jobbie but much cheaper built and too long. Advantage that it’s my preferred.22 but seems to be a bit recoiless.

My thoughts too John - wonder if anyone has stripped one down? Guessing once all the plastic is removed it’s very naked and obvious. I did look at the SMK Milbro £100 jobbie but much cheaper built and too long. Advantage that it’s my preferred.22 but seems to be a bit recoiless.
    I had a play with a Milbro last year and when compared to the Umarex, it becomes apparent the Milbro is the cheaper option. However, it does work and looks better with a suitable optic than the standard sights and imitation carrying handle it comes with. Trigger is not very good and agree it is very long.

John

This one?

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/...milbro-syn-m16

Looked a bit shonky and clunky on the YT videos (in 'breaking' and returning barrel).

I'm guessing though that these are really the only two current break barrel springer mil style choices out there?

This one?

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/...milbro-syn-m16

Looked a bit shonky and clunky on the YT videos (in 'breaking' and returning barrel).

I'm guessing though that these are really the only two current break barrel springer mil style choices out there?
    That's the Milbro Max. There's always the Nitro Piston Crosman MTR77 NP M16A2 replica, which is also very realistic. I kept mine after I tested it and like it a lot.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

Kind regards,

John
    Remove the pistol grip - screw in bottom of grip, then you will see the large screw that connects plastic bit to the metal bits of the gun.