Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springer repeater or single shot? Military style, Umarex Colt M4? Gamo?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
    Remove the pistol grip - screw in bottom of grip, then you will see the large screw that connects plastic bit to the metal bits of the gun.
    Thank you Michael - much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

Thanks again Michael and to Max for highlighting this potential issue with the M4.

My screw was loose and it seems as though only a few threads engage, so a dab of loctite on the thread should keep the screw from undoing itself.

A very useful heads up.

John

John, not got any pics have you - be interested to see it partially stripped/naked?

So do you think the quotes I posted are non-founded as long as this is checked?

I'd like one but a .22 would be better, I wonder if it's possible...
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks again Michael and to Max for highlighting this potential issue with the M4.

My screw was loose and it seems as though only a few threads engage, so a dab of loctite on the thread should keep the screw from undoing itself.

A very useful heads up.

John
    Better check mine too!
    Thanks M & M

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    John, not got any pics have you - be interested to see it partially stripped/naked?

So do you think the quotes I posted are non-founded as long as this is checked?

I'd like one but a .22 would be better, I wonder if it's possible...
    Hi Max,

I didn't take any pics when I undid the screws but it was a simple task. Only time will tell if the potential problem is unfounded but once the loctite has dried, I'm sure it will be fine.

John

Mine was loose!
    It isnt now.

No signs of plastic cracking.

Hi Max,

I didn't take any pics when I undid the screws but it was a simple task. Only time will tell if the potential problem is unfounded but once the loctite has dried, I'm sure it will be fine.

John
    Thanks John, just need to find someone selling one now.

I recently got the m4, power wise it’s great, just accuracy with the open sights ,it’s shooting way high at 25yards, does everyone put some sort of sight on, red dot, acog style?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrpark666 View Post
    I recently got the m4, power wise it’s great, just accuracy with the open sights ,it’s shooting way high at 25yards, does everyone put some sort of sight on, red dot, acog style?
    Try raising the foresight, which is a threaded screw held in place by a spring loaded plunger. It should come up.

I'm an open sight fan but bearing in mind the straight line layout of the M4, an optic sits at around the same height as an open sight, so I've opted for an ACOG type sight on mine.

By the way, Max - there were M4s for sale at the last Kempton fair (next is on 24 March) or try Protek - they got one in for me last year.

John

Cheers John, yes, seen them for sale new but are these second hand you're talking about?

Inevitably, people will put £20 Chinese copies of $500-1000+ ACOGs, EOTechs, Aimpoints etc on the springer M4.

They are doubtless fine on CO2 or airsoft.

It will be interesting to see how they hold up on a springer.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi Max,

I love the Umarex M4 - top performance from a top looker. A generation ahead of the Gamos and Jackals I grew up with.

I've pictured one in my regular Airgun World column, in the March issue.

Kind regards,

John
    Umarex and Jackals - a generation ahead John?.... Both springers in polymer stocks, different looks maybe - but hardly a generation apart unless a picatinny rail is a quantum leap forward

BTW I've also owned Crosman's MTR77 with a gas ram and that was a step backwards despite the gas ram technology...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Umarex and Jackals - a generation ahead John?.... Both springers in polymer stocks, different looks maybe - but hardly a generation apart unless a picatinny rail is a quantum leap forward

BTW I've also owned Crosman's MTR77 with a gas ram and that was a step backwards despite the gas ram technology...
    Way ahead IMHO Harvey,

The Umarex is far more realistic, less spring resonance and vibration through the stock upon firing, a far better trigger, better quality open sights and rails to mount a plethora of accessories on.

I also think the MTR77 is a lot more realistic and accurate too, although the trigger leaves a lot to be desired!

And I like Jackals

Kind regards,

John