Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip paste

Grip paste

Any suggestions for cost effective alternatives to rink grip paste?

My new (to me) lp10 has a medium grip and although it fits ok lengthwise, it doesn’t quite fill my hand.

Rather than an expensive new grip, I’d like to give the paste thing a go.

If anyone has experience of using anything I’d be great full for any advice.

Cheers

Steve.

My go to stuff was Milliput which is a two part epoxy paste but that was until I discovered Metolux wood filler, it is styrene free so does not pong like polyester resin and comes in different colours. I've been using dark oak / teak but is a tad light so next time I will try the dark one but my rink grip is very dark in colour. It sets in under ten mins. which is good and you can remove it with a screw driver and a hammer. Got it off the bay.

I have seen the 2-part epoxy putty in Poundland, I doubt there's much difference.

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    My go to stuff was Milliput which is a two part epoxy paste but that was until I discovered Metolux wood filler, it is styrene free so does not pong like polyester resin and comes in different colours. I've been using dark oak / teak but is a tad light so next time I will try the dark one but my rink grip is very dark in colour. It sets in under ten mins. which is good and you can remove it with a screw driver and a hammer. Got it off the bay.
    Great, thanks. I’ll have a look on the auction site.

Doing a bit of searching and someone recommended cling filming the grip first then moulding the putty, that way it can be removed and some sort of temporary adhesive used, silicone was mentioned.

Sounds like a good plan to me, any downside that anyone can see?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_SwampThing View Post
    I have seen the 2-part epoxy putty in Poundland, I doubt there's much difference.

Atb
    Chris
    I’ll certainly have a look next time I get chance, thanks for the pointer.

Just wood oil the grip the day before you want to use some filler and let it sink in, filler pops of easily leaving little mess if you tap it off with a screwdriver and a small hammer, unlike any glue you may use, don't use silicone as it is a pain to get off and nothing will sick to it once dry not even a new lot of silicone. Try out your ideas first using blue tack or modelling clay, I now remove wood to get what I want and then add plod to fill gaps. Put hand cream on your hand and use it as a barrier and hold the grip with the plod on the grip till it sets or use a latex glove on your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Just wood oil the grip the day before you want to use some filler and let it sink in, filler pops of easily leaving little mess if you tap it off with a screwdriver and a small hammer, unlike any glue you may use, don't use silicone as it is a pain to get off and nothing will sick to it once dry not even a new lot of silicone. Try out your ideas first using blue tack or modelling clay, I now remove wood to get what I want and then add plod to fill gaps. Put hand cream on your hand and use it as a barrier and hold the grip with the plod on the grip till it sets or use a latex glove on your hand.
    Fantastic, thanks again.

I'm currently having a go at the same thing and asked advice a few weeks ago. Milliput is good. I couldn't get the putty to stay in place with the cling film, but ended up using ut on top to stop my hand sticking to it. I've had trouble from the new putty coming off the grip due to original oil finish acting as non-stick coating, then using small blobs of blue tak for now to stick it back on. I wish I'd spent more time with blue tak to understand what I wanted to achieve and have wasted quite a bit of putty.
    Ersonally I don't rate normal wood filler as it's so soft you just squeeze it out when gripping the gun.
    Finally the setting time disappears very quickly, do be clear what you are aiming to achieve first
    Best of luck
    Andy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

If they have any left, Lidl were recently selling a 12v cordless multitool (similar to the Dremel) for £16.99, along with various sets of bits/tools from £2.99.
    I purchased one for fettling my grip and it works perfectly.

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I used Isopon P38 to built it up, and moulded it to fit my hand while wearing a surgical glove; then dressed back any rough spots with the Dremmel and sprayed the lot wit first primer, and then stone textured green paint.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147194...posted-public/
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Grip paste.

I have used many different types of product for modifying grips.
    Personally I find Milliput is the easiest to use, either the standard or superfine, I prefer it to other types of epoxy resin fillers because you can use a damp cloth or small brush to blend the edges. I don’t know of another product that allows you to use water in this way. It is also much firmer when mixed, which allows you to shape it by gripping the pistol grip with a wetted hand. It takes a bit longer to set, but this can be speeded up by placing the grip on a radiator or in a warm oven – warm not hot!

The section on Grip modification on this website is quite helpful:

Pistol-shooting.com

By Allan Lozsan

There is also some very good advice for keen pistol shooters in a series of notes by the late Don Nygord.

http://www.australiancynic.com/NYGORD.htm
    "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours"

Yorkiets,

I tend to use whatever automotive body filler I have on hand at the time.

I did make the mistake once of using some spare Devcon Titanium I had - that was a right sod to file & sand

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

B&Q

I was in B&Q recently and they sell a molding putty that allegedly sets slightly "rubbery".
    In a pull-off card on one of the shelf supports. About £10 if I remember correctly.

Anyone tried Sugru to modify grips?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    I was in B&Q recently and they sell a molding putty that allegedly sets slightly "rubbery".
    In a pull-off card on one of the shelf supports. About £10 if I remember correctly.
    Sugru, maybe?

Has anyone tried using polymorph? Comes as small plastic pellets, put them into hot water and it fuses into a plastic putty you can mold as long as it is hot. Quite hard wearing when dry, has the consistency of solid nylon, but it can be melted and re-used if needed.
    Good deals with these members