Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about collectors and their collections

Some questions about collectors and their collections

How many of the same rifle/pistol do collectors possess and seek to accumulate?

Some, here, have amassed remarkable collections of dozens of the same rifle/pistol, separated merely by the date of production or minor changes in design. That is particularly so with the pre-war manufactures although there is likely to be a greater degree of variance, pre-1939, due to age, usage, originality of parts, condition, etc.

With more recent rifles/pistols, say from the '70s, there is likely to be less wear and tear and, for the most part, rather fewer models. So, how many of the same make and model do collectors seek to acquire?

It seems that the same make and model can vary to the extent that even pellets perform differently. Surely, however, two rifles/pistols of the same origin would be sufficient to provide a broad representation of the model, or is this number considered to be insufficient?

Do collectors seek to fire each item within their collection?

Do collectors collect as an investment?

What optimum numbers do collectors seek to accumulate before they turn their attention to another make?

Doubtless, the answers to these questions will vary according to the collector and different views will be held. It would be interesting to discover what motivates collectors. I wonder if any research has been conducted into these and allied questions.

Rgds to all,
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Some, here, have amassed remarkable collections of dozens of the same rifle/pistol, separated merely by the date of production or minor changes in design. That is particularly so with the pre-war manufactures although there is likely to be a greater degree of variance, pre-1939, due to age, usage, originality of parts, condition, etc.
    With more recent rifles/pistols, say from the '70s, there is likely to be less wear and tear and, for the most part, rather fewer models. So, how many of the same make and model do collectors seek to acquire?
    It seems that the same make and model can vary to the extent that even pellets perform differently. Surely, however, two rifles/pistols of the same origin would be sufficient to provide a broad representation of the model, or is this number considered to be insufficient?
    What optimum numbers do collectors seek to accumulate before they turn their attention to another make?
    Doubtless, the answers to these questions will vary according to the collector and different views will be held. It would be interesting to discover what motivates collectors. I wonder if any research has been conducted into these and allied questions.

Rgds to all,
    A
    My brain hurts.

I used to collect tractors - but I sold them all so I am [ .....wait for it ... ....] an ex tractor fan.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I have less "right" to express my views than many others on here. However I have asked myself some of your questions during the last few years in which I have bought (and sold) quite a number of airguns. I like a gun that is nice to shoot, well designed, that I can repair and/or tinker with, and that has an interesting story/history.
    For me, collecting is also about making choices. More guns gives me more headaches (for instance, a low balance on my bank account) . So I only keep the ones that I really "love". That make me smile every time I see/shoot them. Right now, this means: a few vintage Crosmans, a Sheridan Blue Streak, a number of John Bowkett-designed BSA's, a BSA Light Pattern, and a Beeman C1. Generally speaking, the more compact airguns, that are easy to handle. I do fall into temptation very often though. For instance a pair of Saxby & Palmer Ensigns, which I luckily managed to sell on after a week or two.

Andrew I haven't really sought to acquire more than one of each rifle/pistol but over the years I've tended to end up with several of the same model because: the opportunity has come up to 'upgrade' the tatty example I already have with a better one and I tell myself it won't really cost much (or anything) because I'll sell on the tatty one as soon as the new one has arrived. But when it comes time to sell, I 'discover' a variation (sometimes quite small) and can't bear to part with a 'totally different' model to the new one...

This has happened too many times for it to be an accident, hence why I sometimes have several of essentially the same gun.

Certainly when a new-to-me gun arrives I test it, sometimes a lot if I like it. But I tend to tuck the guns away and only rarely shoot them again. Moreso as I get older.

At some level yes, I tell myself the money in each gun is 'safe', though I've only actually 'cashed guns in' a few times over the decades, and rarely with anything approaching a good return. The main thing is ownership/accumulation/love of airguns, and investment comes a distant second.

There is no optimum number. Depends what comes available within my price range at any given time.

See above
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Collecting one type can be an obsession for some people

I have been fortunate enough to be in the right places at the right time,a small collection of rifles and some pistols,I haven’t shot them all,I have bought them slightly cheaper and could make a small amount of money if I sold them,but I bought them because of what they mean to me,I had some nice shotguns all the bore sizes 4bore 8bore down to 410 but after buying and trading all my life , thought I had the nicest ones ,a road traffic accident left me with head injuries,I had to sell them ,you think you will have them for life but you don’t know what’s round the corner ,mike

Its not possible to have too many BSA pre-war under lever air rifles. The Mr Lincoln Jeffries certainly knew a thing or two about airguns

I don't have a problem, I don't have a problem, I don't have a problem, I don't have a problem, I don't have a problem........ See totally normal !
    Last edited by Lakey; 12-02-2019 at 06:27 PM.

That is what I call proper banister supports.

Some will have to go

Wow mike

Gosh, I had not expected so many replies so soon; it looks like 'confession' time.

Garvin: "Andrew I haven't really sought to acquire more than one of each rifle/pistol but over the years I've tended to end up with several of the same model because: the opportunity has come up to 'upgrade' the tatty example I already have with a better one and I tell myself it won't really cost much (or anything) because I'll sell on the tatty one as soon as the new one has arrived. But when it comes time to sell, I 'discover' a variation (sometimes quite small) and can't bear to part with a 'totally different' model to the new one..."

Yes, agreed. I try to keep my (very humble) collection at no more than two of each, as a worthwhile representation, but sometimes the rather more tatty ones perform a little better when shooting. I also try to use mine and I produce a file of targets for each, at various ranges, noting the pellets that perform best - and the variance between pellets is often wide.

I try to avoid becoming obsessive but that is often something of a trial when a 'must have' appears.

There are some magnificent collections photographed here but, from a practical viewpoint, surely a smaller number would be representative? Probably, as you say Binners, it becomes an obsession.

What about more modern rifles/pistols, from the 70s onwards. Do people collect HW80s, FWB Sports, Original 45s, Webley Vulcans/Omegas/Longbows, Mk3s, more modern BSAs, etc, in such numbers as pre-1939 air rifles? Perhaps the feel of old craftsmanship has its attractions, especially for items approaching or exceeding 100years of age but this does not extend to more modern makes.

Very witty, I.J.

A

What about more modern rifles/pistols, from the 70s onwards. Do people collect HW80s, FWB Sports, Original 45s, Webley Vulcans/Omegas/Longbows, Mk3s, more modern BSAs, etc, in such numbers as pre-1939 air rifles? Perhaps the feel of old craftsmanship has its attractions, especially for items approaching or exceeding 100years of age but this does not extend to more modern makes?
    Yes, some of us do. The bulk of my collection is themed around what you would have found on the racks of a good airgun shop in the 80s (but including things from the 90s and in the case of the Xocet, Longbow and Tomahawk, early 2000s, and at the other end of the spectrum stuff like a Series 4 MkIII, Airsporter Mk1, 1940s Webley Mk1 pistol, and a couple of 1950s Dianas).

I regard all as shooters. A couple I have not got round to shoot, a couple need work, and a few more aren’t actual guns but were bought as piles of bits.

I completely get the “train spotter” mode of collecting where you have 25 variations of the Webley Service. Just not me. For a while, I aspired to acquire the entire Diana product range from 1980-82. But that made me learn that I had no interest in a small number of their models (eg 16, 22, 23) and not enough interest in big ticket items like the 75HV to actually buy them.

Basically, I buy stuff I like.

Is this an investment? I don’t think of it like that. It’s probably no worse than a regular bank savings account, but not better. I certainly don’t collect to make money. I collect to enjoy the collection.

It’s kind of a mixed bag: there are a few guns I have several examples, like Garvin I continue to buy them thinking I’m upgrading but never sell. Sometime the opportunity just presents itself, got 3 Haenel-R that came to me in 6 months and haven’t seen one since. I like collecting variations of the same pistol say with Webley pistols. I tend to shy away from multiples on rifles but Crosman 101-2 are a bit of a exception, hard to resist if they are cheap and in great condition and in the US they are cheap. And still see variations in them.

On your question of investment I do make sure I buy it right. I will not chase a gun on price beyond worth and mostly buy when they are good deals. I really can enjoy a gun more if I know I got a good deal. I also concentrate on guns in great condition, I think they will hold their value better. I like the idea of experiencing a vintage gun just as the buyer did back in the day. I don’t look at my collection as a profit maker but I do think of it as a store of value.

I shoot everthing not all of the all the time but I will not buy a gun that does shoot well. Love time in the back yard sighting in guns and comparing the performance from different models and eras.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    See what you mean Peter. Some of those sights just don't line up. Got to go so you can get ones that do!!

am afraid I am a bit of a completist when it comes to collecting...…. hence my obsession with Theobens. have got several of the same rifle with small variations and continue to look for them on a daily/hourly/min basis. For me its the build quality of the 80's rammers that gets me every time, the quality of something like a SLR88 does it for me in my opinion on a par with the 80's venom guns for finish and fit but I do fall foul for shiny things or just nice examples of guns that I have a soft spot for!! problem is though then they get in the way of places to store theobens hence me having a clear out currently of non Theoben guns and some Theobens where I have more than one example of the exact same gun or the condition is not what I am aiming for but was ok until a better one came along...…… think I am looking for one Rammer now to complete my collection from the first siroccos to the last evo's and that's it.