Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about collectors and their collections

Have been thinking about that long and hard, but I couldn't find a answer.
    So I just keep going on collecting, because there is no such thing as " enough airguns" . LOL

================
    Frank

Collectors and their collections

My own interest began more than sixty years ago when I was a National Service soldier, and picked up a vintage Webley Mark 1 from a shop in the Strand. I have been a steady collector since those days, and now have (in addition to many others) a complete set of Mark 1 Webleys from 1924 onwards. I'm not limited to Webleys, of course, and I don't expect to find mint examples, just honest ones, and I prefer that they should all be shootable - though I don't get much shooting nowadays. My interest is mainly in pistols, for the two reasons that a) they are more easily portable, and b) much more easily stored, than long guns of any kind. I will buy any specimen that takes my fancy (and that I can afford) and I don't worry about it being re-finished, if it's the genuine article; and I have to confess that I am not a collector of boxes!

John

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    It’s kind of a mixed bag: there are a few guns I have several examples, like Garvin I continue to buy them thinking I’m upgrading but never sell. Sometime the opportunity just presents itself, got 3 Haenel-R that came to me in 6 months and haven’t seen one since. I like collecting variations of the same pistol say with Webley pistols. I tend to shy away from multiples on rifles but Crosman 101-2 are a bit of a exception, hard to resist if they are cheap and in great condition and in the US they are cheap. And still see variations in them.

On your question of investment I do make sure I buy it right. I will not chase a gun on price beyond worth and mostly buy when they are good deals. I really can enjoy a gun more if I know I got a good deal. I also concentrate on guns in great condition, I think they will hold their value better. I like the idea of experiencing a vintage gun just as the buyer did back in the day. I don’t look at my collection as a profit maker but I do think of it as a store of value.

I shoot everthing not all of the all the time but I will not buy a gun that does shoot well. Love time in the back yard sighting in guns and comparing the performance from different models and eras.
    I see your point about condition and value.
    Strangely enough I greatly prefer "barn finds" that need lots of tlc. The satisfaction of making them work and attractive again is greater to me than having a perfect example that I do not dare to open up.
    So I tend to sell the shiny/"mint" condition guns and keep the ones with a personal touch. In the end this approach probably costs more money. But "you only live once"

Wink

My approach is very similar to Garvin’s, nuff said on that.

I focus on post-war guns, both because they are easier to acquire here in the US, and because they are easier to find parts for and to keep running, for someone like me with minimal mechanical skills.

I do have a bad case of “tiny variation” disease for my few favorite models; if I find a gun with some minuscule manufacturing difference from the ones I already have...I need to own it. It’s as if a tiny voice in the back of my head says that someday “when I have time” I will write the definitive histories of these guns - books that maybe five people on the planet would actually want to buy.

Which all sounds well and good, but then one day you wake up to find (15) HW 55’s, (9) Diana 27’s, (5) Webley Mk 3’s, (4) HW 50’s, (3) early Diana 50 match models, etc., etc., living in your basement.

One last hint, it is very useful to have photos of Frank Korn’s house to hand, for those who accuse you of going over the top...!

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    I do have a bad case of “tiny variation” disease for my few favorite models; if I find a gun with some minuscule manufacturing difference from the ones I already have...I need to own it. It’s as if a tiny voice in the back of my head says that someday “when I have time” I will write the definitive histories of these guns - books that maybe five people on the planet would actually want to buy.
    Love that, and I would be one of the five!

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I see your point about condition and value.
    Strangely enough I greatly prefer "barn finds" that need lots of tlc. The satisfaction of making them work and attractive again is greater to me than having a perfect example that I do not dare to open up.
    So I tend to sell the shiny/"mint" condition guns and keep the ones with a personal touch. In the end this approach probably costs more money. But "you only live once"
    I think with airguns it’s not that much more money to buy ones that are in great condition. I’m not a perfect in the box collector. I’m never afraid to use them. Nice thing about airguns, they are not valued like a “Colt Walker”, you can have fun with no guilt and depreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    So I just keep going on collecting, because there is no such thing as " enough airguns" . LOL

================
    Frank
    I’m showing this to my wife, thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post

================
    Frank

Frank, this is the most amazing collection I have ever seen. I have heard of collections of 70+ rifles but never seen them.

Questions, therefore: do you actually use them or do they remain on the wall? Do you ever sell, once bought? What makes do you collect and how many makes in your collection? How many air rifles do you own?

Good one Flint! I suspect many others here will also want to show this vast collection to their wives, if only to demonstrate how moderate theirs is, by comparison (assuming their wives have not already fled ).

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Frank, this is the most amazing collection I have ever seen. I have heard of collections of 70+ rifles but never seen them.

Questions, therefore: do you actually use them or do they remain on the wall? Do you ever sell, once bought? What makes do you collect and how many makes in your collection? How many air rifles do you own?

Good one Flint! I suspect many others here will also want to show this vast collection to their wives, if only to demonstrate how moderate theirs is, by comparison (assuming their wives have not already fled ).
    Frank has only shown part of his collection! More pics here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....un-collection/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Puts my mere morsel collection to shame.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Wow!

Not a pistol man then?

career707lover is offline His one man drag act at the dog and duck sells out every friday
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Absolutely incredible!

I am astonished - amazing, absolutely amazing.

If that lot were ever to come on to the market, the bottom would drop out of it.

Flint, you had better tell your wife that what you showed her was a fraction of the actuality.

At an early age I became fascinated with 'the odd and unusual'.

I've never bought a collectable with a view to selling it. I'm 83 and I've been collecting since I was around 8 years old! I owe airguns a lot.

Was just taking a sip of my first cup of coffee. Opened this link and spat it all over my cat.
    WOW. So nicely displayed too, Frank.
    What is your favourite airgun in your collection?