Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Pistol - Squirrel Dispatch

Air Pistol - Squirrel Dispatch

Hi,
    I am looking for an air pistol for humane dispatch of trapped grey squirrels. Crosman 2240 or 1377 are possibilities and easily tuned to close to the legal limit, but would prefer a cheap springer. I have a number of air rifles suitable for dispatch, but want to be as inconspicuous as possible, so needs to be a pistol. Any ideas or thoughts.

not that cheap but A HW 45 is the tool for the job
    Cheers Lloyd

I helped a friend out who wanted a springer for exactly the same - Webley Typhoon (or Hatsan 25 as I think they're the same)

I have an old Webley Senior in .22 just the job with Hobbys or Super-H-Points

BSA Scorpion, if you can find one.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    ​.
    Diana P5 Magnum in .22 (.177 pellets will pass straight through): 5.5ft.lb as standard, plus well made and great to shoot.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog5 View Post
    I have an old Webley Senior in .22 just the job with Hobbys or Super-H-Points
    I'd have also said any of the Webley barrel-over-cylinder models, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Almost any of the above.

If you want the cheapest tool possible, purely for the purpose of head shots at contact distance in a trap, the economy option is to find a cosmetically rough but functionally OK Scorpion or Hurricane or Tempest in .22”. The older Diana 5/5G should also be up to the job.

I wouldn’t recommend the “Webley” Typhoon (later model) or the big “Browning” or similar Turkish or Chinese guns, unless you can find a really cheap used one. They’d be fine as a tool for this purpose, but unlike the Scorpion, Webleys, Dianas, HW, are not very good pistols. If you fancy using the pistol for a bit of plinking or target work as well, avoid them.

In a private sale, a decent Scorpion or Webley Hurricane/Tempest should be £100 or a bit less. Used HW45 or Diana 5M/8 (rare) maybe £120-160. And you can sell on with no loss if/when you no longer need it.

Springer will be much quieter than 2240 or 1377 on 8 pumps. But worth considering 2240 with a silencer?

Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum will guarantee humane dispatch every time.

Oops sorry, I misread your post, I thought you said self defence against grizzly bear attack. Yeah, Crossman will do it

Squirrel despatch

Hi

My Dad used my .22" Webley Senior and Hobby pellets with no problems and this was when he was in his middle nineties.The advantage of a springer is the relative silence compared with CO2 pistols

Alecto 2-3 pumps

CP1 in .22 with silencer, mine runs at just under 6fpe and very quiet. Though when shooting rat or squirrel in a human trap they understandably go mental when you are near the trap. I started shooting them At a distance with a rifle, when they were still and calmer for cleaner shot

Thanks everyone,

useful advice, now looking for best value for BSA Scorpion or Hatsan 20/25, Alecto/Zoraki or Crosman 1377/22, or Crosman 2240.

D

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D_H_P View Post
    Thanks everyone,

useful advice, now looking for best value for BSA Scorpion or Hatsan 20/25, Alecto/Zoraki or Crosman 1377/22, or Crosman 2240.

D
    Good luck with getting the buggers to keep still.