Thread: BSA challenger in .25

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Thanks for that, that has cleared it up.
    AWC 02397

So have sent photos to Josie&john,

So another appraisal on value would be appreciated gents.

I have not got the holy grail after all, 25 challenger
    Hi John,

As per PM exchange, AWC was the Serial No prefix used for the 635 Magnum rather than the Challenger. Both were made at around the same time and both are desirable today. The 635 was available in Standard and De-Luxe format, the difference being in the grade of stock. I have a vague recollection that either the 635 was developed for the .25 Milbro Rhino or the Rhino for the .25. Or maybe both were developed in tandem as again, they were both marketed at the same time.

A very nice rifle nonetheless and I wish I'd kept my own boxed example that I bought from Vandeburgers in Tooting. My old no was AWC 02357 which is very similar to yours!

As regards value, I think Troubledshooter sold one on here recently but that was boxed and as new IIRC. Not sure if yours has the original open sights (the rearsight was used as a peep, just like the Buccaneer). The bluing on yours looks excellent and stock is not too bad with just a dew minor marks from what I can see. If it were mine, I'd price it at £180 but that's a bit of a stab in the dark and I'd be interested in what others think.

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 16-02-2019 at 11:12 AM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi l had one se/no AWC02395 that l sold at the Melbourne Marksmen airgun fair in 2014.it was not in the best of condition as l remember knocks on stock and the bluing fadeing for £120 if this helps.

Thanks Micky2.
    The blueing is good, trigger block anodising good, scratches to wood the most prominent but no cracks.

Shooting very nice, super smooth cocking for very little effort,
    snarepeg.

Ok, so it is not a mythical .25" mercury challenger

It is still a scarce model and in that case I am going to suggest a value of £150 - 190 with the scope and silencer.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Ok, so it is not a mythical .25" mercury challenger

It is still a scarce model and in that case I am going to suggest a value of £150 - 190 with the scope and silencer.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

i fitted a super sport k barrel in .25 cal to my mk3 mercury

Good that the experts stepped in here.
    I really wanted to like the Challenger but it wasn't pretty with the mount thing. A Mercury S can look nicer, especially the later ones. Point and shoot alright.

On the subject of .25 did BSA do the RB2 Airsporter in this calibre or were they done aftermarket by someone?......I too have a .25 Challenger....will check the serial number when I get home later