Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA challenger in .25

BSA challenger in .25

Have just got one of these, the anodising on block still intact so not a lot of use.
    Blue ing 95, stock 90 (few scratches)
    Very smooth cocking, shooting 19 grain at 510 so about 10.6 ish.
    Fitted with a slim steel silencer and a Nicko 3x9x40 scope

Any ideas on a fair price please.
    snarepeg.

With all the toys then close to £200. Its the calibre that makes the value in a good little break barrel. Quite rare in this configuration. But its the used condition that knocks the price back hard as there are so many well used rifles about.
    Mint might be £300 without scope.

If it is a genuine factory .25 Mercury challenger then I would say it is a rare beast indeed and if shooting well worth more than £200 on its own, more with the toys.

As ever this would be subject to seeing the wee beasty as one person's view of condition often does not match anothers. Some downplay the condition of rifles, some talk it up. As is often noted good quality photos will help get a more accurate valuation. Also price depends on whether you look for a quick sale or hold out for a determined (desperate?) Buyer.

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Would say it is a genuine factory issue.
    No screw driver marks anywhere, been shooting it today with Marksmen 19 grain and bean cans at 20 yards it knocks holes in big anough to get a double decker bus thru

It's a pleasure to shoot, cocking smooth and easy and sure it's on original spring.

The silencer is like a slim Parker Hale.

Thanks for the input.
    snarepeg.

I didn't realise BSA made the Challenger in .25

Is it definitely a Challenger with the Maxi-grip scope rail or a Mercury fitted with a .25 barrel?

As always, clear photos would be required for a valuation. Perhaps you can confirm the serial number prefix too?

Kind regards,

John

Now you have me confused John.
    It hasn't got a maxi grip scope rail which I hadn't noticeced, it has got the bolted jaws instead of a pin.
    The stock looks like a challenger and is nice fitting.
    Will take some photos and serial number later and post to you, as I haven't had any luck posting on previous threads.
    Reg. john
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Now you have me confused John.
    It hasn't got a maxi grip scope rail which I hadn't noticeced, it has got the bolted jaws instead of a pin.
    The stock looks like a challenger and is nice fitting.
    Will take some photos and serial number later and post to you, as I haven't had any luck posting on previous threads.
    Reg. john

BSA did not make a Challenger in .25.

It will be a BSA 635 Magnum deluxe they cost £129 when new as I had one !! The standard 635 Magnum was about £100 only the stock was different both had proper breech bolts as per the Mercury 'S'.

The stock is still beech but nicer grain, checkering and finish than the 635 standard stock .

One of the biggest myths in Air gun collecting is . 25 'Mercuries' BSA did NOT make them until the 635 which was 1985 and AWC was the serial number prefix.

Manchester Airguns did offer .20 and .25 barrels for the Mark 3 Mercury (with breech pin) late 1970's early 1980's. You could have a Mercury with 4 barrels 177, 20, 22, 25.

These barrels were bored out of existing BSA Barrels by Gerald Cardew .

HTH

Thanks for that, that has cleared it up.
    AWC 02397

So have sent photos to Josie&john,

So another appraisal on value would be appreciated gents.

I have not got the holy grail after all, 25 challenger
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Thanks for that, that has cleared it up.
    AWC 02397

So have sent photos to Josie&john,

So another appraisal on value would be appreciated gents.

I have not got the holy grail after all, 25 challenger
    Hi John,

As per PM exchange, AWC was the Serial No prefix used for the 635 Magnum rather than the Challenger. Both were made at around the same time and both are desirable today. The 635 was available in Standard and De-Luxe format, the difference being in the grade of stock. I have a vague recollection that either the 635 was developed for the .25 Milbro Rhino or the Rhino for the .25. Or maybe both were developed in tandem as again, they were both marketed at the same time.

A very nice rifle nonetheless and I wish I'd kept my own boxed example that I bought from Vandeburgers in Tooting. My old no was AWC 02357 which is very similar to yours!

As regards value, I think Troubledshooter sold one on here recently but that was boxed and as new IIRC. Not sure if yours has the original open sights (the rearsight was used as a peep, just like the Buccaneer). The bluing on yours looks excellent and stock is not too bad with just a dew minor marks from what I can see. If it were mine, I'd price it at £180 but that's a bit of a stab in the dark and I'd be interested in what others think.

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 16-02-2019 at 11:12 AM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi l had one se/no AWC02395 that l sold at the Melbourne Marksmen airgun fair in 2014.it was not in the best of condition as l remember knocks on stock and the bluing fadeing for £120 if this helps.

Thanks Micky2.
    The blueing is good, trigger block anodising good, scratches to wood the most prominent but no cracks.

Shooting very nice, super smooth cocking for very little effort,
    snarepeg.

Ok, so it is not a mythical .25" mercury challenger

It is still a scarce model and in that case I am going to suggest a value of £150 - 190 with the scope and silencer.
    Rich.

Ok, so it is not a mythical .25" mercury challenger

It is still a scarce model and in that case I am going to suggest a value of £150 - 190 with the scope and silencer.
    Rich.

i fitted a super sport k barrel in .25 cal to my mk3 mercury

Good that the experts stepped in here.
    I really wanted to like the Challenger but it wasn't pretty with the mount thing. A Mercury S can look nicer, especially the later ones. Point and shoot alright.