Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
I will soon be receiving a nice old Steyr Mannlicher m1886. I know it was Austro-Hungarian Empire military rifle for a shot time. Also according to Wikipedia 100,000 were made and most were converted later on to use 8x52 ammo (m1886-88).

Mine is still in 11x58 so would that make it one of the rarer original caliber guns? Also to be honest I know very little about it. I have done some research but most info I find is about the later 8mm M95 rifles.

I bought it since it seemed cheap.

Anyone willing to share their knowledge of these firearms with me?

Cheers
If you are wondering about the small screw on the rear sight, slacken it a little and you will see that you can withdraw small tab shown on your second photo this is the long range back sight to be used with the tapered post present on the front barrel band.
There's quite a bit of pitting shown so I would recommend a full strip down and have a good look at the underneath of the barrel before you think of putting it onto FAC. There are better although not cheap examples out there if you did want to go down that route. The en bloc clips are hard to source, I have seen them for sale in the USA with original live cartridges but getting a dealer to see just the clips could be tricky. Beware shooting original blackpowder cartridge rifles is a very addictive hobby. It represents a short period of history but there are a good range of examples available. I shoot a Remington Rolling block and Remington Lee on FAC and both are very enjoyable if somewhat challenging to shoot.