Thread: m1886 Steyr Mannlicher 11x58

m1886 Steyr Mannlicher 11x58

I will soon be receiving a nice old Steyr Mannlicher m1886. I know it was Austro-Hungarian Empire military rifle for a shot time. Also according to Wikipedia 100,000 were made and most were converted later on to use 8x52 ammo (m1886-88).

Mine is still in 11x58 so would that make it one of the rarer original caliber guns? Also to be honest I know very little about it. I have done some research but most info I find is about the later 8mm M95 rifles.

I bought it since it seemed cheap.

Anyone willing to share their knowledge of these firearms with me?

Cheers

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannlicher_M1886

Do you intend to shoot it? It is also called the 11x58R Werndl, BTW, but you prolly knew that already. There is a movie on Youtube about making the ammunition. All you need is a supply of the .348 Winchester cases and a lot of patience. The 210gr bullets might be problem to locate, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AVHuVvofzM

Note that without the internal magazine clip - that drops out on the last shot being chambered - you will have a single-shot rifle. Gunboards.com has an entire forum dedicated to this rifle and its successors.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 15-02-2019 at 01:11 PM.

i have some brand new winchester 348 brass if interested......these are rarer than he rifle lol

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannlicher_M1886

Do you intend to shoot it? It is also called the 11x58R Werndl, BTW, but you prolly knew that already. There is a movie on Youtube about making the ammunition. All you need is a supply of the .348 Winchester cases and a lot of patience. The 210gr bullets might be problem to locate, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AVHuVvofzM

Note that without the internal magazine clip - that drops out on the last shot being chambered - you will have a single-shot rifle. Gunboards.com has an entire forum dedicated to this rifle and its successors.

tac you put the wrong youtube clip on

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    tac you put the wrong youtube clip on
    Yeah, but it's pretty interesting anyhow, right?

Here's a better one.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35HDaNYimtI

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i have some brand new winchester 348 brass if interested......these are rarer than he rifle lol
    @OP = if you are going to shoot this new bunduq, then I recommend that you buy these from loiner - new from Kranks they are £4.65 each, WHEN they have 'em in store.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    @OP = if you are going to shoot this new bunduq, then I recommend that you buy these from loiner - new from Kranks they are £4.65 each, WHEN they have 'em in store.
    interesting video tac..
    you are right about the brass as they are like rocking horse poo....think i have 50 brand new WW SUPER .348 WIN

I dont have a FAC so no plans on shooting it. One day I would love to though. I have seen various videos on youtube about loading you own ammo. The hardest thing to find is the bloody clips for it though! But again, I dont plan on shooting it for some time so I have plenty of time to look for some.

It just arrived today and I will be uploading images in a moment. But so far it looks ok. It was mentioned that it had a crack in the stock and it does indeed have one. Left hand side from where the magazine is going back to the safety catch. So a pretty serious crack. Any tips of repairing stocks anyone? :P

Bolt was stiff as all hell. Managed to get the bolt out of the action easy enough and have found it is covered in gunk. So the rifle needs a strip down and a good clean. Thank god I spent all that time watching youtube videos on how to disassemble these rifles! Though I have not seen how to remove the barrel from the stock, but I guess you just take off the bands around the barrel and it just pops off?

Apart from the beat up stock, the rest of the gun looks very well considering the age. A bit of pitting but after a nice clean I think it would shoot again!

Anyway Ill upload some images. I have taken pictures of all the markings I can see on the rifle. If anyone can tell me where this gun came from that would be great! (I know that if these markings are Austrian, then this being an original 11x58, would make it a rare piece since most were converted to 8mm)

Here is the link to all the photos I have taken

https://imgur.com/a/CgmCGaZ

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Here is the link to all the photos I have taken

https://imgur.com/a/CgmCGaZ
    After a closer look at the crack, seems like someone has tried to bodge it in the past

No idea if this is fixable....anyone selling an old m1886 stock by any chance :P

you need to clean the crack and reinforce it from underneath with dowel or screw....hide it under the trigger guard....need to get old glue off with steam.
    use aggra class or west epoxy to reglue...

The long range volley sight on the m1886

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    I will soon be receiving a nice old Steyr Mannlicher m1886. I know it was Austro-Hungarian Empire military rifle for a shot time. Also according to Wikipedia 100,000 were made and most were converted later on to use 8x52 ammo (m1886-88).

Mine is still in 11x58 so would that make it one of the rarer original caliber guns? Also to be honest I know very little about it. I have done some research but most info I find is about the later 8mm M95 rifles.

I bought it since it seemed cheap.

Anyone willing to share their knowledge of these firearms with me?

Cheers
    If you are wondering about the small screw on the rear sight, slacken it a little and you will see that you can withdraw small tab shown on your second photo this is the long range back sight to be used with the tapered post present on the front barrel band.
    There's quite a bit of pitting shown so I would recommend a full strip down and have a good look at the underneath of the barrel before you think of putting it onto FAC. There are better although not cheap examples out there if you did want to go down that route. The en bloc clips are hard to source, I have seen them for sale in the USA with original live cartridges but getting a dealer to see just the clips could be tricky. Beware shooting original blackpowder cartridge rifles is a very addictive hobby. It represents a short period of history but there are a good range of examples available. I shoot a Remington Rolling block and Remington Lee on FAC and both are very enjoyable if somewhat challenging to shoot.

I recently found what look to be the right enbloc clips for the rifle, though they were listed as being for the M1888 in 8mm. But every 8mm clip I have seen has a section cut out in the middle while these do not. So for 5 euros each, I thought what the hell I will take a punt.

So have I just found the jackpot or have I bought the wrong ones?

https://i.imgur.com/t7t0FCx.jpg