Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the umarex smith and wesson 686 in stainless steel

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    The finish is 100% not stainless, I think if I had one I'd be looking to have the mag vapour blasted...
    With regard to the black pellet carrier: To quote from, 'Umarex Replica Airguns:1996-2014', by Steve MacGregor, "Umarex explained that the tolerances between the pellet carrier, barrel and firing valve were so critical that it simply was not possible to apply a nickel coating to the pellet carrier and maintain an effective seal."

Also, from the same publication, "A small number of 6" 686 versions were produced in a "steel" finish in 2008/2009. This is a lighter, shinier version of the standard nickel finish."

This is not to be confused with the limited quantity steel PPC 1500 version that was produced in 2006.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by nikonman View Post
    With regard to the black pellet carrier: To quote from, 'Umarex Replica Airguns:1996-2014', by Steve MacGregor, "Umarex explained that the tolerances between the pellet carrier, barrel and firing valve were so critical that it simply was not possible to apply a nickel coating to the pellet carrier and maintain an effective seal."

Also, from the same publication, "A small number of 6" 686 versions were produced in a "steel" finish in 2008/2009. This is a lighter, shinier version of the standard nickel finish."

This is not to be confused with the limited quantity steel PPC 1500 version that was produced in 2006.
    Can't see that being true - when a plating process will be far more controllable thickness wise than the paint/lacquer they used.
    I'm pretty sure the PPC1500 versions were not any kind of steel either...just steel 'finish' - be it paint or electroplate.
    I've also only ever seen the 'stainless' and PPC1500 finishes - was there actually a third bright metal finish back then?

Can't see that being true - when a plating process will be far more controllable thickness wise than the paint/lacquer they used.
    I'm pretty sure the PPC1500 versions were not any kind of steel either...just steel 'finish' - be it paint or electroplate.
    I've also only ever seen the 'stainless' and PPC1500 finishes - was there actually a third bright metal finish back then?
    Can't really comment. I'm just sharing what is stated in the Umarex 'bible.'

Can't really comment. I'm just sharing what is stated in the Umarex 'bible.'
    Mmmm, about as factual as the real one then...

Mmmm, about as factual as the real one then...
    You're correct of course. Someone who's a bit bored just garners a load of erroneous facts from a manufacturer, produces a book that's endorsed by said manufacturer (what do they know for goodness sake??) and then sells it to gullible souls who really should listen to forum gurus instead.

You're correct of course. Someone who's a bit bored just garners a load of erroneous facts from a manufacturer, produces a book that's endorsed by said manufacturer (what do they know for goodness sake??) and then sells it to gullible souls who really should listen to forum gurus instead.
    Oooh, get you...handbags at dawn

Do let me know when you find a proper steel Umarex then...meanwhile back in real world

extra 6 inch barrel in stainless steel

I bought it from pyramid in the usa ordered it online it wasn't cheap and I had to pay duty on it but it was worth it.