Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone bought one of those cheap Chinese chronys off that auction site?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I'm not knocking combro as it is a great value product, if unsuitable for certain guns - more the £200 chronos consisting of £10 worth of electronics.
    I used Robin as an example of some one who could give input in whats involved in the business and cost .

I agree that £200 is a lot but there is many factors in deciding on a price other than greed .

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I used Robin as an example of some one who could give input in whats involved in the business and cost .

I agree that £200 is a lot but there is many factors in deciding on a price other than greed .
    You can't discount a certain amount of greed/opportunism as a factor. The price of many everyday things goes up dramatically when it has any kind of association with shooting. Small beanbags, for example...
    Good deals with these members

Chronograph is not rocket science. A local chap (UK) has created an open-source one:

https://gadjetsblog.blogspot.com/sea...el/chronograph

Importing from China - you are also not paying the VAT - so 20% comes off right there.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    You can't discount a certain amount of greed/opportunism as a factor. The price of many everyday things goes up dramatically when it has any kind of association with shooting. Small beanbags, for example...
    that's for sure hence why I quoted the torches . At one point almost everyone on the night vision forums was buying and selling them.

It's a poor show when one or two claim they designed it for it to then come out they did not and the chinese makers then decided to let any one buy them and sell them on. a few of the guys selling them did them at good prices but others were selling them almost double what they were selling them for .

Almost all of the people that were selling these torches are no longer doing so .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I wonder if Robin Hewitt from combro could give an input to this ?
    When I first made cb-625 I paid for 2 plastic injection tools in the UK for the casings, one injection tool in Taiwan for the rubber keypad, one custom LCD display, a wire spring form for the battery contact and someone had to set up a lathe to make the pinch bolts. Probably around £16k which was a lot back then. Bill Sanders helped me by testing my prototypes at AirArms as we slowly overcame the problem of the muzzle blast.

This new approach of cobbling them together out of standard parts is beyond me but if it works, why not?

Experience suggests their problem is that it will be treated as a commodity that is merely the sum of it's parts. To increase profit they will cut every cost that can be cut. Will someone remember to test the product to see if it still works?

I'm now an old man making chronoscopes for fun and talking to lots of wonderful people who call me up to chat about guns. Perfect. I am having trouble testing cb-625 fast enough to supply the trade but I am sure someone will come along soon and help out. I don't think it is time to give up yet, I have little else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    When I first made cb-625 I paid for 2 plastic injection tools in the UK for the casings, one injection tool in Taiwan for the rubber keypad, one custom LCD display, a wire spring form for the battery contact and someone had to set up a lathe to make the pinch bolts. Probably around £16k which was a lot back then. Bill Sanders helped me by testing my prototypes at AirArms as we slowly overcame the problem of the muzzle blast.

This new approach of cobbling them together out of standard parts is beyond me but if it works, why not?

Experience suggests their problem is that it will be treated as a commodity that is merely the sum of it's parts. To increase profit they will cut every cost that can be cut. Will someone remember to test the product to see if it still works?

I'm now an old man making chronoscopes for fun and talking to lots of wonderful people who call me up to chat about guns. Perfect. I am having trouble testing cb-625 fast enough to supply the trade but I am sure someone will come along soon and help out. I don't think it is time to give up yet, I have little else to do.

Thank you for the information Robin. it shows people that it costs a fair bit in R&D before it even gets to market . Other makers could have bigger costs than yourself as they employ more people and bigger premises . where as in China they will be making loads of items and cheaper labour .

Hello to All,

I recently bought one of the £18 Chinese chrono''s to see what it was like.

For me, it seemed the shot had to be placed very closely to the sensor axis to trigger a reading.

In addition the minimum resolution is ca 3.3 ft/s - roughly three (3) times greater than the established chrono's.

I shot a series of shots through my 'Polish' R2, with the Chinese chrono placed right behind it, and got the below readings - please see chart.

Not quite as fine a correlation as I had expected

( Note this says nothing as to which chrono is 'correct' - it only shows the relative readings from these chronos )

I will do some further testing with the £18 Chrono later on.

However, I don't think it will replace my 'Polish' R2 or my Combro

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

I have one of the £25 ones with a tripod (not used!).

It is very easy to use and works perfectly in any light.

Testing against my combro and F1 suggests it over reads by about 5mps consistently. Taking 5mps off the reported speed gives a pretty accurate result....

I use the android app 'Bullet energy calculator Pro' - you can put in pellet weights in grams or grains and speeds in meters per sec or feet per sec and it works well.

I am happy with it but would be more happy if it did not over read!