Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone bought one of those cheap Chinese chronys off that auction site?

Unboxed yesterday. The instructions were sadly in Chinese, but, as a few airgunners from across the pond have cottoned on to these, a translation is available
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlpiu4ondm...vised.pdf?dl=0

The USB charger has an indicator to show charge status. Fully charged I gave it a whirl.

Firstly, it's metric only, so MPS readings and when you go further with the settings, grams for the pellet weight (I haven't got that far yet).

The start up is straight forward as the software launches and then it's ready to use. I took the top clamp off of the Vee block and just rested the silencer (a HW silencer) flat in the Vee block. As long as you keep it flat, you'll avoid shooting the back infra red bulb off!

The software saves each shot from the moment it's turned on and you can recall the readings (you need to master the single button control - short / medium / long press)

You can programme the length of display for each reading as it is taken. However, wander off to do other things (like have your breakfast) and it auto shuts down, losing your data.

The results obtained with my test rifle tally up with my previous Chrono test, though I've not currently done side by side testing. This set up is so small, I was able to test my rifle with a pellet trap (a bound up catalogue) on a stool, so very compact (I wouldn't recommend testing ME at distance with it though - too much room for error!)
    Last edited by CapitalBee; 17-02-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Unboxed yesterday. The instructions were sadly in Chinese, but, as a few airgunners from across the pond have cottoned on to these, a translation is available

The USB charger has an indicator to show charge status. Fully charged I gave it a whirl.

Firstly, it's metric only, so MPS readings and when you go further with the settings, grams for the pellet weight (I haven't got that far yet).

The start up is straight forward as the software launches and then it's ready to use. I took the top clamp off of the Vee block and just rested the silencer (a HW silencer) flat in the Vee block. As long as you keep it flat, you'll avoid shooting the back infra red bulb off!

The software saves each shot from the moment it's turned on and you can recall the readings (you need to master the single button control - short / medium / long press)

You can programme the length of display for each reading as it is taken. However, wonder off to do other things (like have your breakfast) and it auto shuts down, losing your data.

The results obtained with my test rifle tally up with my previous Chrono test, though I've not currently done side by side testing. This set up is so small, I was able to test my rifle with a pellet trap (a bound up catalogue) on a stool, so very compact (I wouldn't recommend testing ME at distance with it though - too much room for error!)
    Thanks for this.

I would not be happy with this, metric means your forever trying to convert your findings into something we all use and recognise - how many grams is a JSB Heavy? All the other stuff I can forgive at the price, you get what you pay for, but if you don't use it then it's an expensive paper weight, and I don't think I'd use it due to the conversions.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Thanks for this.

how many grams is a JSB Heavy? .
    0.67 grams , come on James , everybody knows that !

Google is my friend

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    0.67 grams , come on James , everybody knows that !

Google is my friend
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thanks very much for the review. Considering this I think I’d go for the F1 clone at £50.
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

I bought this last year from ,
    E9800-X Shooting Chronograph Speed Tester Chrono
    Working well, no problem encountered using it in the last 6 months. Price was S$63.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Cheers for this - really useful for when mine arrives...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I would not be happy with this, metric means your forever trying to convert your findings into something we all use and recognise - how many grams is a JSB Heavy? All the other stuff I can forgive at the price, you get what you pay for, but if you don't use it then it's an expensive paper weight, and I don't think I'd use it due to the conversions.
    Dunno why these would be an issue?
    If you've ever bought a tin of JSB's the weight's on the tin in Grammes and Grains and nearly all digital scales measure in both units anyway...
    Again the conversion to FPS is no more difficult than converting FPS to ft/lbs really it it?- as FPS means nothing on its own anyway.

If anyone has bought one and needs the conversion calc it's:

speed in m/s² x pellet weight in grammes ÷ 2710.5 = ft/lbs

less numbers to remember than 450240

Still not bought either but pondering as I borrowed an F1.

Any more FB on the Chinese models mentioned if anyone else has received one or had more time with it?
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Lieterally just recieved mine a few minutes ago...and a screw dropped through it from 6" went though at the expected speed.

So at least I now know my desk is not sitting in a gravitational well and there are other reasons why my arse is stuck to the chair!

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    If anyone has bought one and needs the conversion calc it's:

speed in m/s² x pellet weight in grammes ÷ 2710.5 = ft/lbs

less numbers to remember than 450240
    Are you sure about this ?
    Many thanks for the formula but it doesn't work for me .

Absolutely...

You are squaring the velocity and using grammes not grains aren't you...

Tried mine out today and really pleased with it...

This is my tuppence :

First off its really lightweight, but very neatly made - quite unbelievable for £18 delivered from China.
    It consists of the electronics and display sitting above two sensors with a vee block and clamp to align your barrel with these sensors.
    The top clamp can be removed and a larger 'U' clamp used for guns with moderators or foresights this keeps everything in line and removes the chance of 'accidents'...
    Or you can leave off the clamps and just rest the barrel on the vee...

(Its worth noting there is also a second version with 2 rows of IR leds which has no clamp and you shoot through for about £25 if you prefer.)

The instructions are completely in Chinese with not even a picture in sight, but in reality its not a problem as it is simple enough to use its basic function of being a chrono...
    Press button to turn on, wait a few secs while it cycles through a self test, when the two dashes come up on the screen its ready.
    Shoot, read speed off, repeat, press button again to cycle back through shot results, long press to turn off - simples.
    The speed reads in metric only - to one decimal place below 100m/s and to whole numbers above.
    I believe it max's out at about 800m/s - but don't quote me on that.
    There are some translated instructions about including it's energy calculation features - but I'm still trying to locate them...

But the important things are - is it accurate and reliable?
    Accuracy - I also have a Chrony F1 and using a multi-pump Crosman which is ultra-consistant it certainly is...bang on the money from 270fps right up to 750fps.
    Reliable - this is the winner every shot read, every time and not at all ambient light fussy. Now as whether its reliable long term? - its too early to tell...buts lets just remember that price £18...!

Final verdict : Love it....

Yes ... formula is correct.... I had not seen it before so calculated it myself ... not doubting mind but as I had not sen it before I was interested. I got the divisor to be 2712 as near as dammit but then I guess that was due to my conversion factors (1" = 25.4mm, 1gm = 15.43gn).
    Very useful addition to a 'useful facts' file' thank you.
    Cheers, Phil

Mine's just arrived, love it. Thanks again Mark for the original heads up and thanks to Harvey for the equation