Thread: Confessioms of a fettler

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    blooody hell.how did you get on zeroing
    That’s why I ran a mile if the scope fitted to the rifle had no turret then it didn’t give me much confidence in the rifle

The chap selling it said it Shot Pellet on Pellet even though I pointed out to him how on earth did he get the scope to zero with a missing bloody turret!!

I made a quick excuse and ran like the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    That’s why I ran a mile if the scope fitted to the rifle had no turret then it didn’t give me much confidence in the rifle

The chap selling it said it Shot Pellet on Pellet even though I pointed out to him how on earth did he get the scope to zero with a missing bloody turret!!

I made a quick excuse and ran like the wind....
    ffs.

ffs.

On another note not so much a confession of a fettler but I know another member on this very forum who surely falls into the careless things you’ve done category 🤔

This chap effectively known as the ‘Mirror Hunter’ whilst out on a permission shooting from a vehicle gave himself 7 years bad luck by yes you’ve guessed it shooting his own wing mirror

ok ok
    i have a pic of me shooting out a whole door glass panel in our consvertory

she wasnt happy

ok ok
    I knew you would eventually ‘break’ pun intended

Just remembered one my uncle did whilst checking his rifle over in his front room and firing a pellet into the ceiling donut

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Too many senior moments to say, and l know l will make more in the future.

Webley Tracker

I decided to remove light surface rust on my Webley Tracker using wire wool and WD40. All went well, and after a light oil put the rifle away. A few days later, I took it out for some plinking then realise that the loading tap had lost its smoothness and became much harder to turn: a piece of wire wool had made its way into the loading hole.

Tap air tighness is now compromised, I have put the rifle away and added Traccker on the to do list

I had a similar experience when rebuilding my fwb 300. Circlip pins in back to front on the sledge and wondering why it wouldn't cock! Also, despite telling someone on here to assemble the barrel before the spring on their hw95, forgetting it myself and struggling like crazy.
    Last edited by CapitalBee; 17-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    HW 45 strip and clean. Now shooting with much more recoil but much less velocity. I had put the steel spring guide inside the piston [surprisingly it fits just fine at that end]
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Just remembered one my uncle did whilst checking his rifle over in his front room and firing a pellet into the ceiling donut
    And a friend did the same thing, it was a white artexed ceiling and he stuffed cotton wall into the hole, his parents were none the wiser until he confessed a few years later
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I did similar in the mid 70's, put a hole in the double glazed study window, parents said it was a stone thrown by the mower
    Last edited by MartynB; 17-02-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177