Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: walnut stock blanks

arnie2b Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by woodpigeon View Post
    any uk suppliers?
    Yes they will charge you double for the pieces of wood I'm showing you.
    Double checked the denli link it works just scroll down.

I like wood

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef
    The reason figured wood is prone to breaking is the figuring can generally be the weakness. If you want strong, plain grain is what you need. Whatever source you use, make sure it’s properly seasoned. Any further drying unless it’s very slow will result in it splitting, or shakes as the pros call it.

arnie2b Guest
    The best bang for your buck when you look at everything tends to be Armenian walnut. It is circassian walnut from the other side of the Turkish border.
    The guy's website who I used to buy off is down otherwise I'd have posted it.

Found this one http://www.sergantwalnut.com/blanks/rifles and if you look at something like R8 you're good and safe.
    There's a few blanks on there I wouldn't want to use.

how do you know by looking at those blanks,some nice wood there.why is r8 ok and the others are not

arnie2b Guest
    Just look at how the grain runs, that's why the Armenian guy even posts a picture on how the grain runs on top of the blank.
    You want it to run straight on top and preferably following the shape of the pistol?(if that's what you want the stock shape to be) grip on the side view.

Plus being too cross grained and fancy in thin critical parts will lead to problems afterwards. Wood can move as it remains a live material.

ok so grain should all run the same way viewed from top and sides.