Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lgv spring swap

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    nah you missed the point.. LGV internals into the TX was all about getting the stroke shortened, back to ~ mk1 / MK2 specs, instead of the lazy, US-market-optimised Mk3.

in HWs, the LGV is 25mm and the modern HWs are al 26mm, so that wouldn't work out well
    There you go, I knew it was something good, the trouble is I read so much stuff on here that I get a little confused with what gets said, I remember someone saying the LGV piston seal had to be changed for some reason, I don't always take a lot of notice of subjects that don't interest me that much but snip-its of info sometimes get lodged in my poor little brain.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by rg627 View Post
    Ok, I found a spare tx spring I had. Tried it and it seems ok so far. Had to use an awful lot of preload to get the power up. 40mm ! With standard size tp. It will need guides making as it's a very loose fit in the standard guide and very twangy but good fun to try.

Vernal, so you had 36mm preload and a 3mm transfer port to give 10.6 ft lb is that correct? Are you in 177 or 22?

Cheers
    Yes, the preload sounds about right, but I was able to reduce it to 36mm after carefully sizing the seal (original Walther, I tried a Weihrauch but there was no benefit) and opening the port. Mine is .177.

My lgu is using a titan tx spring skirt less piston tp at 3.6mm about 10 mm of preload 10.50 lbs/f nice and quick very accurate not hold sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Yes, the preload sounds about right, but I was able to reduce it to 36mm after carefully sizing the seal (original Walther, I tried a Weihrauch but there was no benefit) and opening the port. Mine is .177.
    Should have added that after a lot of shots it has now settled at 11.2. I have added a Stumpy moderator, you can hardly hear it and only just enough recoil to remind you it is not a pcp.

Should have added that after a lot of shots it has now settled at 11.2. I have added a Stumpy moderator, you can hardly hear it and only just enough recoil to remind you it is not a pcp.
    May I look forward to having another play with it in April please, Mike?

Lovely shooting rifle and, as per your earlier post, gave rise to the phraseology of the "polite firing manners".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    May I look forward to having another play with it in April please, Mike?

Lovely shooting rifle and, as per your earlier post, gave rise to the phraseology of the "polite firing manners".
    It will be there Tony, and will appreciate your loving touch.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    But maybe even more efficient once the TP has been opened up a little, Rob?

At the end of the day, no great shakes and there will be many guns with standard TP sizes that shoot beautifully and manage to put a smile on the user's face. And, obviously on some guns enlarging the TP wouldn't be desirable anyway. Plus the fear of getting it wrong........
    I don't doubt it Tony, but it's way above my experience pay grade and if I bugger it up I'm left with a very expensive door stop!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
    I don't doubt it Tony, but it's way above my experience pay grade and if I bugger it up I'm left with a very expensive door stop!
    Hence the comment on my earlier post, Rob.

I've yet to open one up myself for reasons of lack of time, equipment and courage!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

It will be there Tony, and will appreciate your loving touch.
    And some loving it most definitely will receive, Mike.

Thank you.

Thanks guys

Right, it's now running tx spring, about 37mm pre load with 3mm port. Feels nice but not scoped it up yet. It's really nice with a mod on, very quiet. I think if I like the tune and stick with it, I will get custom guides as it rings a tiny bit even with a piston sleeve (guide is quite loose in the spring).

Running at 11.3ftlb, 15.89gr. .22 . When I dropped the preload a bit it hit 10.7 and did feel a smidge nicer. Might run it at that as power isn't everything.

I'll let you know how it goes...looking forward to trying it!

Be sure to test it with some of the lighter pellets - RWS Hobby, JSB Jumbo RS / Falcon Accuracy Plus. There's more than a fair chance that, if you're running close to 11ft.lbs with the heavier pellets, the output may be uncomfortably close with the lighter ones. If it is this would, of course, offer scope to further de-tune and enhance the firing cycle further.

Cheers, I'm getting there slowly with the project. It should be great when complete.

What's the consensus on trigger sear grease these days? Grease, oil or nothing? What would you recommend. The Sears are nice and smooth and shiny so I don't think they require polishing any further.

Degrease, let dry, oil with light machine oil, Express or similar, allow excess to drain off would be my preference.