Thread: Senior 'stiff' to cock - any ideas?

Senior 'stiff' to cock - any ideas?

This is my oldest airgun and longest owned - fully original parts but time to time the gun becomes (hard to explain) but stiff to cock and sort of cocks in stages - almost like the piston ring is dragging. It's all properly lubed in the right places and I replaced the original ring (from Denis Hiller many moons ago) and when stripped the piston slides beautifully up and down, had it apart so many times.

IIRC I had another ring from Dennis and smoothed it down years back to help but don't want to ruin my last one.

Also IIRC adding a drop of oil or two helps but again causes dieseling so don't want to keep doing this.

Any ideas as it seems to put a strain on the elderly cocking linkages (which are also correct and working properly).
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

I think you will find it is down to wear on the cocking linkage joins, which cause slight movement on the pins. This then causes the cocking shoe to bind on its travel. If you really want it fixed, you will have to work out which joints are worn. If you can, find a new cocking linkage. I think you can remedy it by fitting slightly oversized pins in the linkage,to take up the slack, but I have never done it.

Lakey

Thanks Lakey. I’m not sure as over the years it has persisted and I’ve used it with three different barrel and linkage assemblies but it still does the same.

Update following a few strips and trials and advice on and off forum.

Stiffness starts early before linkages contact nub on end of pistol.

Interchanging two different complete assemblies has the exact result and same feel so I think all must be OK with linkages and shoes - all feel and look good and not worn out.

However, removing piston and reassembling (*without* the piston ring) exasperates the feel. No real gouging (very faint lines) inside pistol but where the front of the piston touches the inner pistol there are signs of 'flattening'.

But reassembling complete with all parts but new grease and some CLP lube and it's lovely and smooth again.

This despite the fact it was, I thought, well lubed before however, the grease seemed to have migrated and piston front was seemingly dry.

It's well used and maybe worn inside although as I say no real scoring to speak of and inside is mirror shiny - I think it just needs more frequent lube and maybe more oil than grease?

IIRC was it not written that these Webleys by nature should be run more oily than not and maybe dare I say with minor dieselling present now and again??
    Last edited by felix gunner; 19-02-2019 at 11:14 PM.

I've had exactly the same thing with Seniors,when greased they are smooth,but I find repeated oiling has the reverse affect and they become stiff and 'notchy' to cock.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    too much lateral play in the piston ? i.e undersize ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Dunno ST, it's all original to the best of my knowledge and seems a lovely fit. I'm pretty sure it's just a lube issue as lovely and slick now.

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Dunno ST, it's all original to the best of my knowledge and seems a lovely fit. I'm pretty sure it's just a lube issue as lovely and slick now.
    I'm sure it's a lube issue,too had the same thing with most of my Seniors from time to time.

So what do others use for the innards? I moly the piston ring, smear the front inner cylinder, front of piston, spring/guide inside and out and drop the odd couple of drips of oil in. Diesels for ten or so but then OK. Soon seems to run dry though.