Thread: My new Hw95’s accuracy..

By the nature reserve, in the Great Outwood, Wakef

My new Hw95’s accuracy..

I’ve been struggling with vertical poi, up to 1 1/2” at 15 yards in a nice line. Initially I put it down to hold sensitivity or pellets and/or Breech seal. Over the chrono it was 770 +/- 5fps. The breech seal didn’t look fantastic so at £2 from my local gun shop I changed it. I’ve previously tried JSB/AADF and today I tried H&N FTT.

On the zero range it did ragged hole groups bench rested at 30 yards today.

My local club has an ‘extreme’ HFT course set out with most of the targets 15 to 30 mm out to 50 yards and the odd 8mm (I think a couple 40’s as well)

I went round today kneeling or standing and knocked down 14 of the 31 targets for a score of 45. Now, to some that is a pathetic score but kneeling and standing with a springer on reducers left me grinning like a Cheshire Cat!

I struggle with prone getting back up due to my arthritis so I was over the moon with how I (and the rifle) shot today
    Last edited by Steve Valentine; 02-03-2019 at 09:32 AM.

I have a 95 and can’t get on with it, my son and my general shooting buddy do well with it but I can’t shoot the damn thing. I post 5p groups with a TX and Prosport at 30 yards but with the 95 might as well use a shotgun . Not much help I know but that is the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Caleb View Post
    I have a 95 and can’t get on with it, my son and my general shooting buddy do well with it but I can’t shoot the damn thing. I post 5p groups with a TX and Prosport at 30 yards but with the 95 might as well use a shotgun . Not much help I know but that is the fact.
    All depends on which calibre/state of tune/pellets you use.Both my .22 and .177 hw95 put sub 10mm groups at 30 yards regularly.However,the .177 needs more effort from me to achieve this.

Bit confused here, Steve.

Reading the later part of your OP hints to me that all is now fine and you're happy with the 95's accuracy?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Bit confused here, Steve.

Reading the later part of your OP hints to me that all is now fine and you're happy with the 95's accuracy?
    Correct. Changed the breech seal and pellet brand and it’s bang on.

Perfick.

My .177 isn't pellet fussy.

This may help......Accuracy very good with Superdomes and the JSBs / AAF.

Even better with 7.9 boxed Crosman Premier.

Then even better with the FTT.

And now just as good with Baracuda FT.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Perfick.

My .177 isn't pellet fussy.

This may help......Accuracy very good with Superdomes and the JSBs / AAF.

Even better with 7.9 boxed Crosman Premier.

Then even better with the FTT.

And now just as good with Baracuda FT.
    It might just be the rifle has settled in, or I have. Either way I was mighty impressed with the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    It might just be the rifle has settled in, or I have. Either way I was mighty impressed with the accuracy.
    Pretty good for somebody who hasn't shot in anger for 10 years. Imagine what you could do with an s400.
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Caleb View Post
    They need a heavy silencer like steel ph, and one piece mount, and / or a good spring like a v mach set up, to not be a tad jumpy - that's all -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Pretty good for somebody who hasn't shot in anger for 10 years. Imagine what you could do with an s400.
    I should never have sold that s400 of mine. I sold it to buy a Daystate Mk4 (what a palava that was!) then bought it back about 6 months later. I sold it again a few years later to buy the next best thing. What a wazzock!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Both very valid points, Steve.
    And spending quality time with, and getting to know your springer inside out, is all part of the fun.
    Mastering the spring gun cycle, experimenting with the different hold points, the gentle way of supporting it, trigger control and, most importantly, follow through is just so rewarding.
    Results would come so much easier and more quickly with a recoilless rifle, but the discipline learned from shooting a Boinger is priceless.
    Keep enjoying and have fun.

I’ve been struggling with vertical poi, up to 1 1/2” at 15 yards in a nice line. Initially I put it down to hold sensitivity or pellets ".."
    Can I suggest that if your horizontal poi is good then perhaps the rifle is being positioned each time in a slightly different place? Try putting a mark on both your rest and rifle, a small piece of tape perhaps, and then shoot again checking both marks are in line. The problem we have as springer users is the total removal of the rifle from its rested position each time we cock it.
    I have been shooting a fair bit from a narrow bench rest and it is getting the rifle back to exactly the same position each time that improves my accuracy.
    hth
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    Can I suggest that if your horizontal poi is good then perhaps the rifle is being positioned each time in a slightly different place? Try putting a mark on both your rest and rifle, a small piece of tape perhaps, and then shoot again checking both marks are in line. The problem we have as springer users is the total removal of the rifle from its rested position each time we cock it.
    I have been shooting a fair bit from a narrow bench rest and it is getting the rifle back to exactly the same position each time that improves my accuracy.
    hth
    Jim
    I am pursuing hold sensitivity as the avenue of thought. At home I’m shooting from my garden table, using a front rifle rest filled with rice, my hand on top resting the rifle on a gloved hand. I’m reasonably confident that I’m holding it the same each time, I’m trying to hold the rifle as gently as possible. It went from stringing the groups to clover leaf as I’d changed the pellets and breech seal, shots at the club were taken kneeling or standing (gloved hand) so I’m not so sure I was holding the rifle the same for those shots. Some of the kneelers I could barely get my cheek on the stock so I’ve fitted an adjustable butt pad and I’ve also made a hamster that attaches with Velcro. It’ll be interesting to see if they make a difference.

I shot around the FT course in the sitting position as well although I did forget to take my glove. I got 9/30 on the FT but a lot of those were 45 to 55 yards.

I’m not able to get to the club until next week now and I’m quite excited to have another bash