Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back today from Dr Ingvar Alm Auction with the Tell 3 of my dreams

They all look very nice, I wonder if you will end up keeping more than you thought you would 😁
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    They all look very nice, I wonder if you will end up keeping more than you thought you would 😁
    I think you are right, the Challengers are very cool guns and both held gas. May be a new area to collect? All of a sudden I now have three Tell 3’s, that seems nuts but I guess it matches my 3 Haenel 28-R? Lol. The extra Tell 2 will go eventually. Got two people that want the Scout.

I think the Tells and Haenel’s will hold their value, more fun than money in a bank account.

I recall when Matts was in a trading mode;-)

There were three of us.Me in NZ,another in the USA and the third in Sweden. I had a Muller Military trainer which I sent to the USA. The American sent a Crosman 451 to Sweden.The Swede sent a Tell 3 to me! Heady days.Simply impossible now.

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    There were three of us.Me in NZ,another in the USA and the third in Sweden. I had a Muller Military trainer which I sent to the USA. The American sent a Crosman 451 to Sweden.The Swede sent a Tell 3 to me! Heady days.Simply impossible now.
    Saner times but no internet to talk about it?

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Saner times but no internet to talk about it?
    Actully the internet was well established when Matts Hammer was collecting and trading with various people around the world, and I think it was only about 2010 when he decided to sell off his collection. I had made various trades with him prior to then, as had Ingvar. Unfortunately for me when he did sell up, his prices were a bit too steep and I had to pass on several very desirable items. I was able to find equivalents later at more affordable prices but it took a lot of patience. Ingvar would have no truck with the internet or computers, and we always kept in contact by snail mail or phone – frustrating to say the least, especially when exchanging images.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Actully the internet was well established when Matts Hammer was collecting and trading with various people around the world, and I think it was only about 2010 when he decided to sell off his collection. I had made various trades with him prior to then, as had Ingvar. Unfortunately for me when he did sell up, his prices were a bit too steep and I had to pass on several very desirable items. I was able to find equivalents later at more affordable prices but it took a lot of patience. Ingvar would have no truck with the internet or computers, and we always kept in contact by snail mail or phone – frustrating to say the least, especially when exchanging images.
    I’m so new to Airgun collecting having started after my retirement about 4 years ago. Never heard of Ingvar until the auctions started. Fasinating reading his bio and having a chance to examine a large part of his collection. It was a kick for me just to have purchased one lot that fit into my narrow wheelhouse. Starting to have a desire of possibly keeping this lot together just because it’s a little part of the “story”?

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Prices realised

The prices realised at the auction make interesting and in some instances painful reading https://www.rockislandauction.com/ca...#LotNumber4381

For example, 5 Titans for $690. In the UK these very rare pistols could easily fetch £400 each. Then there was a lot of seven pistols which included a Targ Aire, Baron Sportsman Jr, Armigas , Diana 1, one of Mac Evan’s 1910 BSA reproduction pistols, and the Roy Hutchinson 9 shot repeater prototype. The Hutchinson pistol alone could fetch around £2000 in the UK, and this is probably near what Ingvar paid for it. Split up, the whole batch could probably realise more than £3000 over here.

There were some saving graces such as an Anson Star, which at $1610 did realise a price worthy of its rarity.

It was obvious that bundling items together had an adverse effect on prices realised, and a collector could easily have expanded his collection at relatively little cost. Or more likely some traders are going to make a killing.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    The prices realised at the auction make interesting and in some instances painful reading https://www.rockislandauction.com/ca...#LotNumber4381

For example, 5 Titans for $690. In the UK these very rare pistols could easily fetch £400 each. Then there was a lot of seven pistols which included a Targ Aire, Baron Sportsman Jr, Armigas , Diana 1, one of Mac Evan’s 1910 BSA reproduction pistols, and the Roy Hutchinson 9 shot repeater prototype. The Hutchinson pistol alone could fetch around £2000 in the UK, and this is probably near what Ingvar paid for it. Split up, the whole batch could probably realise more than £3000 over here.

There were some saving graces such as an Anson Star, which at $1610 did realise a price worthy of its rarity.

It was obvious that bundling items together had an adverse effect on prices realised, and a collector could easily have expanded his collection at relatively little cost. Or more likely some traders are going to make a killing.
    The bundling was pretty brutal and clearly gave dealers the advantage over average collectors. I saw those Titans go but what am I going to do with 5 of them? I examined the Mac Evan’s 1910 BSA and that was a steal no doubt. I was floored by how few people were there on the floor when the airguns started. Seemed like 15-20? at the most but who knows how many were online or on the phones. Over here I don’t think there is as much an appreciation of these vintage guns as you have in the UK?

Lastly being there I was also floored by the speed of the lots going by. You had no time to think really you had to be prepared for what you wanted. They have so much to sell in a day and the airguns were a very small piece of it.
    Last edited by 45flint; 20-02-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Fantastic catch there Steve and sounds like a really interesting day

Thanks for sharing