Thread: Seriously?

Seriously?

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...5097&saletype=

OK, it’s very nice, though not mint, and has a box and lots of bits, but top estimate £1500 (so £1950 with tax and premium) for a standard early post-war Webley Senior?

I know, it’ll probably sell for more!

I've never known an auction house have not only such high sale charges, but also to over estimate the value of the lots. I know a lot put stupidly low estimates (I'm looking at You, Southams), but that's just to get people interested. It's no wonder that their timed sales for unsold lots have so many items in them.

I could be wrong here but I vaguely remember one selling at the same Auction House a few years back for around £2.9K inc all fees etc

Sold to the wall perhaps?......

Tim dyson has a very rough one in a very dirty case with very dirty lable £ 1200 mike

Did I imagine it or is there one on Gunstar in a case etc with some of the bits getting on for 3 grand ?? Not got time to check now but I'm sure I saw it there the other day. Worlds gone mad or there's a lot of spare money around at the moment, for some anyway....I know the banks give nothing for savers at the moment and people are looking for things to invest in which is why the auction houses have never had it so good but these investors are getting it wrong particularly with guns, air guns mostly it seems. Top end shotguns are going for unbelievable money right now.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Did I imagine it or is there one on Gunstar in a case etc with some of the bits getting on for 3 grand ?? Not got time to check now but I'm sure I saw it there the other day. Worlds gone mad or there's a lot of spare money around at the moment, for some anyway....I know the banks give nothing for savers at the moment and people are looking for things to invest in which is one of the reasons the auction houses have never had it so good but these investors are getting it wrong in my opinion, particularly with guns, air guns mostly it seems judging by these estimates and prices fetched. Top end shotguns are going for unbelievable money right now.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by D10bore View Post
    Tim dyson has a very rough one in a very dirty case with very dirty lable £ 1200 mike
    If you look at my photos I think you'll find the pistol isn't a 'very rough' one but actually in very good condition The label is not very dirty and is as good as you get. They are silk with a gold finish and wrinkle over time. The case is worn but considering it's from the 1930's it not in bad condition.The one at Holts is a later Post War model pistol and case. Tim
    Last edited by erichtfisherman; 19-02-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Just had a look at the one at Holts. It comes with it's original box which is a pre war one with later post war stickers over the price on the box. These were used just after the end of WW2 using up old boxes. So it's an early post war example. Theres a genuine oil can plus what looks like 2 tins of pellets. Lots of associated paperwork all of which makes this a really good example for collectors. This will do well probably well over the estimated price. Just my opinion and nothing to do with me. Tim.

career707lover is offline His one man drag act at the dog and duck sells out every friday
    If it was on "Mick's Guns" the asking price would be about £5K

i saw one on free adds in case mint condtion with the brown wax paper to keep it mint all instructions like new. for £250

Quote Originally Posted by career707lover View Post
    If it was on "Mick's Guns" the asking price would be about £5K
    Well... there's no harm in asking,a man of independent means perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by bcham View Post
    i saw one on free adds in case mint condtion with the brown wax paper to keep it mint all instructions like new. for £250
    really ? when was that ?