Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee loader...

Lee loader...

I'm looking at getting a .223 Rem Lee Loader, before I do are they any good? Looked on yoo tube, it looks really simple to use and just the job
    My mate and I used to reload our own but he sold off the press etc etc when he gave up shooting and I can't afford to get the stuff together again at the moment.

Your opinions, advice appreciated!!!!
    Thanks
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

I used one for my .22-250... results were excellent! Can’t remember what powder I used, possibly Varget.

The first few bangs with a hammer, my heart was in my mouth, though

I’d say get a proper press, much better
    Sako A7.270,b14hmr 6.5cm,Weatherby vanguard.223,Browningt-bolt.17hmr,Ruger American.22l,M1903 30/06,Marlin.44 and a fireball throwing m44

Quote Originally Posted by verminatormjc View Post
    I’d say get a proper press, much better
    agree......lee challengers are good value

Yes the Lee loader is of if your just loading very small number for hunting, But if loading
    target ammo I would get the lee challenger press. Its lot more flexible with the load lengths

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    agree......lee challengers are good value
    Yes. Big cases can put too much stress on them and you can break the alli diecasting that links lever to ram, but 223 should be a breeze.

The Lee Loader's OK as an introduction, but you'll most likely find it laborious, and eventually annoying - I did.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

take the mid route, get a Lee hand press, it will take normal dies and is so useful for doing stuff like decapping/sizing and priming whilst watching TV or adjusting length on the range, you will never need to move it on as it always has a use (and I have two bench presses I use as well)
    depending on your build you might grunt a bit sizing on larger cartridges ( I have loaded .308 and 7.5x55 on mine) but use a decent lube like Imperial wax and it will be fine, especially with .223.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

I've got one in .223 and yeah they work perfectly OK, I got the Lee anniversary kit but didn't use it all

You'll find bits that you don't want or will get better replacement bits as you go a long

if you intend to do a lot of reloading invest in some electronic scales - not manual scales - manual scales now that is really annoying!!!

I use a lee loader in .22h and .243.
    Excellent results.
    Actually prefer it to the press!

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    take the mid route, get a Lee hand press, it will take normal dies and is so useful for doing stuff like decapping/sizing and priming whilst watching TV or adjusting length on the range, you will never need to move it on as it always has a use (and I have two bench presses I use as well)
    depending on your build you might grunt a bit sizing on larger cartridges ( I have loaded .308 and 7.5x55 on mine) but use a decent lube like Imperial wax and it will be fine, especially with .223.
    Lee hand press was going to be my suggestion too, lee do RGB dies at £22 ish for 0.223 too, slightly more outlay but you will have much more adjustment and the option to vary length and crimp with a crimp die etc.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by adymorris View Post
    I've got one in .223 and yeah they work perfectly OK, I got the Lee anniversary kit but didn't use it all

You'll find bits that you don't want or will get better replacement bits as you go a long

if you intend to do a lot of reloading invest in some electronic scales - not manual scales - manual scales now that is really annoying!!!
    Decent manual scales are fine! Something that damps properly and therefore settles quickly is the way forward
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Decent manual scales are fine! Something that damps properly and therefore settles quickly is the way forward
    what he says ^^^^^^
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Thanks everyone for your valued input, I'll have to give it some thought now!!!!
    Looks like the general consensus is to go the press route!!
    Last edited by jumbuck; 21-02-2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Got the wrong route, route not root... Doh!!!!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Starting out most people will properly end up getting scales that don't dampen quickly and you still have to trickle in the powder - I splashed out on an RCBS chargemaster- it just takes the pain out of it, each to their own I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by adymorris View Post
    Starting out most people will properly end up getting scales that don't dampen quickly and you still have to trickle in the powder - I splashed out on an RCBS chargemaster- it just takes the pain out of it, each to their own I suppose
    all well and good but the OP is obviously on a budget and testing the water I think a chargemaster probably goes against the spirit of the thread,