Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee loader...

Lee loader is doable, a nice to have anyhow as a SHTF loader. Can even use it in the field no problem.

+1 to above!
    Lee scales are ok and quite precise, however must be used in a draft free environment.
    Drafts can cause erratic readings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranyhyn View Post
    +1 to above!
    Lee scales are ok and quite precise, however must be used in a draft free environment.
    Drafts can cause erratic readings.
    Lee scales are very precise, but take a while to damp down, but if you are patient they are a very cost effective way to weigh out your charges
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by adymorris View Post
    Starting out most people will properly end up getting scales that don't dampen quickly and you still have to trickle in the powder - I splashed out on an RCBS chargemaster- it just takes the pain out of it, each to their own I suppose
    Why? There are plenty of beam scales out there that damp properly, RCBS 505s come up almost weekly, redding 502s nearly as often.

As for trickling what of it? On a budget then the Hornady manual trickler is inexpensive and something I always advise new Reloader to purchase, coupled with lee scoop set and decent beam scales and you are well on your way.

For those who load a lot then one of 1066Â’s target master electronic auto tricklers is the logical upgrade, very accurate and can be set up to trickle one granule if powder at a time if thatÂ’s how accurate you want to be. I throw a couple of points of a grain short of the required charge with a cheap lee thrower, pop pan on scale and trickle the last bit of powder with the target master, seating the bullet on the previously charged case while the powder trickles. A very fast and repeatable way of loading and cheaper than the charge master by a long way.

Target master is an awesome bit of kit and made in the uk.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Lee scales are very precise, but take a while to damp down, but if you are patient they are a very cost effective way to weigh out your charges
    Alternatively you can take a punt and spend 15 quid on a set of digital ones from amazon which read to the hundredth of a grain and weigh the same as some rcbs ones if you round them to the tenth based on our first test with them side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by jax13 View Post
    Alternatively you can take a punt and spend 15 quid on a set of digital ones from amazon which read to the hundredth of a grain and weigh the same as some rcbs ones if you round them to the tenth based on our first test with them side by side.
    had one of those, the weighed value changed if you looked at it for a few seconds, it wasn't reliable, the Lee beam scale is very reliable and repeatable, but slow to damp down, so I tend to use a Dillon precision for the superior damping, but a load weighed on one repeats on the other, so I would always say a Lee scale is a good budget starter that you can move on from or keep as a back up.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    had one of those, the weighed value changed if you looked at it for a few seconds, it wasn't reliable, the Lee beam scale is very reliable and repeatable, but slow to damp down, so I tend to use a Dillon precision for the superior damping, but a load weighed on one repeats on the other, so I would always say a Lee scale is a good budget starter that you can move on from or keep as a back up.
    I loaded 50 last night for the hornet at 12.8 grains with them.

I threw a powder charge off the scale then placed the pan on the scale to trickle off the spoon to my weight as I found that gave more consistent results than dropping 2 or 3 smaller charges on then trickling up to target weight.

Lifted it off, double checked it was right after a little shake to change the way the powder was sitting and rule out inconsistencies on the plate sensor and even checked them against the rcbs beams I've got and they were as consistent as could be.

I'm not saying they are a perfect scale, but they are going to do everything a £40 - £60 electronic one from hornady, mtm or any of the others are knocking out as their entry level ones.