Thread: Diana 45

Diana 45

I'm not sure if this has happened to other members here but every now and again I make (to me at least) a small discovery on the collecting journey.

I dont claim to know all there is to know of the Diana/Original 45 but I thought that I had the basic history of things. So, not too long ago on seeing a fairly clean example of what I thought was the last of the model- the T01, I decided I would phone and purchae the gun. Further photos confirmed it as pretty clean and so I went ahead and purchased.

Now I knew that the last of the 45's were basically a model 34/6/8 series gun dressed up as a 45 and so when the gun arrived I wasnt surpised. Indeed this was what I was looking for. The lack of tell take stock cross bolt grommets above the trigger was a giveaway. I wanted an example of the last production 45 to roll off the line.

What I wasnt expecting was this example was actually marked up 45 T05 with capital "TS" beneath. I have presviously (from memory) seen two T01 examples over the years but not a T05. And I have no idea what the TS stands for.

There are no huge differences other than the model designation on the cylinder though the stroke of this example does appear longer than an 88 model 34 that I compared it to and an infinetly longer stroke than the early 45 examples that I also have.

Firslty does anyone know of this model designation? And out of interest are there other examples from other manufacturers where a model has perhaps lived on in another guise -longer than that percieved by collectors???
    EDIT: one unusual thing with this gun is that it came with Truglow sights. I initially thought this was a later addition by a previous owner as I wasn't sure when these started to get fitted to guns. However having removed the fore sight I can see the muzzle was shaped at factory to accept this form of open sight. A friend of mine suggested that the TS designation on the cylinder may stand for Truglow- sights. Quite plausible I guess?

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by jonnyone; 19-02-2019 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Forgot info on open sights

I think you have a pretty rare 45 variant there, Dave. I have seen several neu 45 T01's but have never seen a T05. I think yours is one of the last editions made. I would date it around 2004 ish due to the sights fitted. Is the gun dated? The TS designation surely refers to the truglo's. How are you getting on with these?
    The question is: how does it shoot? And how does it compare to the THE Original 45? Two questions then...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I think you have a pretty rare 45 variant there, Dave. I have seen several neu 45 T01's but have never seen a T05. I think yours is one of the last editions made. I would date it around 2004 ish due to the sights fitted. Is the gun dated? The TS designation surely refers to the truglo's. How are you getting on with these?
    The question is: how does it shoot? And how does it compare to the THE Original 45? Two questions then...
    Evening Drew,

I've had the action from the stock and there is no date stamp on it as per the old days (why oh why did Diana stop doing that)? The gun is downstairs right now but from memory it simply says made in Germany as opposed to the old days of made in West Germany.

I want to give the tru glows a fair crack of the whip but they have been temporarily taken off while I service the gun. To it's credit it doesnt shoot too badly at all. But I would add that the firing cycle appears a little pedestrian compared to the "real" 45. No doubt this is due to the substantially longer stroke on this example.

In respect of build quality its pretty much on par with other modern makes such as HW. But in respect of it's finish I would only say that the stock finish is perhaps better than the days of old. The bluing standard isnt a patch on the older 45s from the 70s/80s. But thats a well known fact these days.

I'm not finished with getting it the way I want it to shoot, not by a long chalk. But internally the gun does at least appear to be reasonably well lubricated. Something that cant be said of modern Dianas. Of course it could have been apart in a presvious ownership and the lube may not be factory.

I;m pleaseed with the purchae overall. Especially as, like you, I do believe this particualar model really was the last of the line.

Dave

Interesting. New to me. I know the base D34 did get fibre-optics (a bad move, IHMO) at some point but had no idea that the 34-based “45” might have had them.

On Drew’s Qs:

1. How does it shoot, please tell us.

2. How does it compare to the usual 45? Well, I guess it compares better to the 34/36/38, as sharing the same action. But do tell.

And

3. Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Interesting. New to me. I know the base D34 did get fibre-optics (a bad move, IHMO) at some point but had no idea that the 34-based “45” might have had them.

On Drew’s Qs:

1. How does it shoot, please tell us.

2. How does it compare to the usual 45? Well, I guess it compares better to the 34/36/38, as sharing the same action. But do tell.

And

3. Pics?
    Evening fella,

Yes as per above it does feel different to the older 45. When weather improves I hope to take an older 45 and this new one out for a session to shoot alongside. I received the gun the very same day I received a s/h scope off that auction site and I dont think it was the best idea to put two completely new and unknown to me items together to evaluate! But it seemed to put together some acceptable groups on my brief try out.

I've sent some pics over to my IT support (Drew-above). He may be able to post some here in due course. That type of things is a little beyond me!

Dave

Aghh. My powerpack has melted, along with my eyeballs. But, hopefully, your 45 is shown, above.

Thanks mate,

just to say that the gun underneath the 45 is a 34s showing difference in barrel stroke at engagement of sear etc.

Another oddity with the gun is that instead of the usual crappy plastic trigger guard, this 45 has the older formed steel trigger guard fitted to lower models. This is fine by me as at least its one less bit of plastic on the gun.

Dave