Thread: Anyone still Hunt with a BSF?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Anyone still Hunt with a BSF?

Just read an article in an old AGW, the writer had a Feinwerkbau Sport but sometimes hunted with a BSF B55. Having owned both, the Feinwerkbau will shoot groups half the size of the BSF, so I can’t see why one would do that - unless he could shoot the BSF a lot better than me and the FBW a lot worse.

Does anyone still hunt with one of these rifles? I imagine some kind of troglodyte squirrel slayer using open sights and Hobby pellets in .22. ...

No, but I would certainly use my better 55 (of the two) at barn ranges.

Though would prefer my 127s, or various other springers.

But the 55 is still not bad.

BSFs

I have a 54, 55 and and a custom 80 and am curious as to how they would perform as hunting tools (they have each been purchased and given no range time of any consequence).

But I think you have answered that one for me

Dave

Hard to say until someone shouts up.

I've never had a go with one.

However, "back in the day" I'm sure a fair few will have been used. Many other rifles that were used for hunting back then were probably no better (and possibly worse?) and will still have yielded results.

Knowing what we know these days about pellet compatibility, who knows? Many 55s may have been very accurate tools with the right pellet.

I understand that the 55 had quite a harsh firing cycle compared to many of its contemporaries, but proper technique and handling should result in usable and repeatable accuracy.

And the more knowledgeable people back then may well have tweaked them for a milder firing cycle.

Did Jim use one?

And what of the Venom tuned ones?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I don't hunt and haven't for 30+ years well before a time I owned any BSFs. Nowadays I can hardly cock a BSF or any other springer due to 'Arthur' but Im sure a suitably tuned, not for the maximum power '55 would be a great little hunting tool. Light with a reasonable trigger (when tweaked/ and fettled ) and accurate enough at hunting ranges, say up to 25 yards. The model '54 is another matter and would have to be transported around the hunting grounds on wheels.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Having shot the 55 that currently resides in the Jones collection, I would have to say that comparing it to the accuracy available from a Sport, the 55 is much harder to manage due to its relatively high power and its urge to leave the hands when fired. Nice and light though, although as Ian has said, a t--t to cock for any prolonged period of time. The Sport is, as many of us know, much more refined and would be a much more usable field gun.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    My brief ownership of a standard B55 confirmed the common assessment that it is very jumpy; with light weight and a powerful, heavily preloaded spring, what else could it be?

The best groups were with the lightest possible hold, probably a BSF expert could get really good groups from one with practice, but the groups I shot tended to string as my technique was not perfect.

Apart from the weight and power causing jumpiness, the trigger is semi-active and gets harder with spring strength. Therefore, a weaker spring and lower power gives a lighter pull as well as less spring-surge and piston bounce, and it's easier to shoot smaller groups. But no-one buys a B55 and runs it at 7 fpe.

The trigger has a strange step, or hang-up at the end of the first pull; this can be used as a kind of 'set' trigger - it is off-putting to begin with but it works well once you are used to it. Take up the first stage, which is then set, then finalise your sight picture and breathing and then go for the final press.

Getting one with the heavier deluxe stocks will help tame the jumpiness as will sticking a heavy scope on it, but then you loose its compactness and light weight.

I suppose today a fettled and cut-down HW99S would knock a B55 into a cocked hat, but there is something robust and tank-like about the little gun that is very appealing. It's not the sort of gun to have its name cut into the stock.

Would probably make a good rat gun for barn ranges as Geezer suggests.

This may be of interest:

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Brings back memories; cheers for posting, Ian.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!