Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staudenmayer's bill to George IV

Staudenmayer's bill to George IV

When I saw that George III's private papers, along with his children's, were online, figured it was worth a look to see the bills of Samuel Staudenmayer. Of course, Staudenmayer is the most famous of all London airgun makers. I've long maintained that the airgun carried by Meriwether Lewis on his famous journey was most likely made by Staudenmayer. That Staudenmayer made Girandoni-type airguns is well established, there's a wonderful example residing in the Milwaukee Public Museum collection (I've seen it in person. It's totally black. Not a bit of shiny or brass visible. Blacking a gun was a very common thing with the military at the time. This example also just happens to be missing the rear sight. Something that Capt. Lewis commented on occurring to HIS airgun, too.) But, some have questioned exactly when Staudenmayr set up his gunmaking business in London. Some have placed this as late as 1807. But, here's the absolute proof that Staudenmayer was in business in 1799. Here's his bill to George IV for a shotgun.... dated 1799.

http://gpp.rct.uk/Record.aspx?src=Ca...BILLS%2f2%2f94

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    ​.
    As an airgunner, an air gun collecting anorak, and as a historian who studied the Lewis & Clark opening of the North West passage during his degree, I have to say that this is without a doubt one of the most fascinating threads I have read for ages. Wow, how thought provoking. Many thanks. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I can go on and on and on about this but what I've been doing recently might be of interest: how did the Nemetz improved Girandoni design get to England?

It's unlikely that we'll ever get any written records on the subject but if we do it'll be most likely come from the Duke of York. DoY was head of the English Expeditionary Force to Flanders in 1793/1794. He was in charge of the Siege of Valenciennes in 1793 where the Austrians were observed using their airguns in the front trenches to pick off anyone on the walls. So, the Duke of York knew about and was there when military airguns were being used.

And, enter General Karl Mack. Mack was in charge of planning the 1794 offensive and he and the DoY were best buddies! Mack traveled with the DoY to London in late 1793 and advocated that the DoY remain in charge. Mack was the officer in charge of the development of the original Girandoni. Mack would have known of and have had access to the new Nemetz design. Shortly afterwards, circa 1795, the first Girandoni types start appearing from London gun makers.

Very interesting,thanks for sharing.

Many thanks. As always very informative and honest. I find that many of the other articles and books written on this subject lack substance.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    When I saw that George III's private papers, along with his children's, were online, figured it was worth a look to see the bills of Samuel Staudenmayer. Of course, Staudenmayer is the most famous of all London airgun makers. I've long maintained that the airgun carried by Meriwether Lewis on his famous journey was most likely made by Staudenmayer. That Staudenmayer made Girandoni-type airguns is well established, there's a wonderful example residing in the Milwaukee Public Museum collection (I've seen it in person. It's totally black. Not a bit of shiny or brass visible. Blacking a gun was a very common thing with the military at the time. This example also just happens to be missing the rear sight. Something that Capt. Lewis commented on occurring to HIS airgun, too.) But, some have questioned exactly when Staudenmayr set up his gunmaking business in London. Some have placed this as late as 1807. But, here's the absolute proof that Staudenmayer was in business in 1799. Here's his bill to George IV for a shotgun.... dated 1799.

http://gpp.rct.uk/Record.aspx?src=Ca...BILLS%2f2%2f94
    I wonder if he was ever paid?

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    I wonder if he was ever paid?
    In the archive, there are some payment receipts (canceled checks, in effect) including one to Staudenmayer which includes his signature. So, he did get paid, at least once.

Fascinating. Not really my thing, but really interesting. Thanks for posting.

His work was exceptional. I have the privilege of owning an example. The Staudenmayer is the pistol at front. It's classed as a 'baby pistol' due to its diminutive size.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYU...gJwv9KvS-/view

A quick browse brought up this Staudenmayer beauty. Truly an airgun fit for a king. This is one of the finest looking airguns I can recall seeing. And, the nice thing about a Staudenmayer is that it is certain to be outstanding in performance.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lo...2-c-5164304963

A quick browse brought up this Staudenmayer beauty. Truly an airgun fit for a king. This is one of the finest looking airguns I can recall seeing. And, the nice thing about a Staudenmayer is that it is certain to be outstanding in performance.

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lo...2-c-5164304963
    Outstanding. A real holy grail of airguns!

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Beautiful rifle ,and you don't see hand writing like that these days
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

As in this case, often the it's the left-side plate that's the most interesting. This Staudenamayer has more going on than usual. It is the most buttons that I can recall seeing. So, it's worth taking a moment to consider what's going on.

There are two levers/slides and one button. The large lever center left is almost certainly intended to push the latch/striker spring down. When this is done, the tumbler cannot contact the striker (which needs the spring to be in proper position to be hit by the hammer) and the gun can be safely de-cocked. The button to the right of it, is unusual. I think it is intended as a release for the lever; that is, the lever has a catch and once put into safe position it stays there, making the gun positively safe. Pressing the button releases the latch. If true, this is, by a significant degree, the most advanced safety to be seen on this type of airgun. Also goes to show how the real danger in handling these guns resulted in new designs.

The third lever/slide down to the right is likely a positioning pin to lock the air tank in proper position. This is seen on airguns where the tank has been made into a actual stock where it being off centerline position would be a problem.

https://image.invaluable.com/housePh...L101338660.jpg

As in this case, often the it's the left-side plate that's the most interesting. This Staudenamayer has more going on than usual. It is the most buttons that I can recall seeing. So, it's worth taking a moment to consider what's going on.
    I notice this Staudenmayer also has the extra safety button, if that's what it is:

Taken from here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....-staudenmayer/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

And this one:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.