Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .30cal HW80 Barrel @ Kempton

.30cal HW80 Barrel @ Kempton

Hey chaps,
    I hear that there was a .30cal HW80 barrel for sale at Kempton? If so, does anyone know who was selling it or if it is still for sale? Or does anyone have one? I assume it was a Steve Harper brass barrel sleeved version?
    Many thanks
    Jon
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I missed that... but I have to say, I completely fail to see the point... .25 I just about get, certainly at FAC 20 FP... but .30 on 12 or even 20FP springer !?!??!

A .25 will weight anything from 19-25 grains, what do .30 start at, 35 grain ? so at 12 FP, that's about 400 fps ! even at 20 FP, it's only 500 fps
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

arnie2b Guest

I've had Fac .22 AND .25 ... the .22 is great for up 35 FP.. i had the .25 @ around 56 FP, but it was just stupid really. used the rimmy instead. I did have a .25 eliminator at around 22 FP wth 20 grain H&Ns - great gun, as the range was limited by the shooter to 40 yards anyways. so I just con't figure of a use for .30 at such low power levels...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Chaps are we forgetting that sometimes impractical things can be fun. I would like to see the hole a sub 12ftlb .30" pellet would make in a bean can!
    Probably an expensive to feed plinker but why not? Maybe the OP likes to have/collect unusual calibres?
    Each to their own fellas
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

true, it'd be interesting, just impractical

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Chaps are we forgetting that sometimes impractical things can be fun. I would like to see the hole a sub 12ftlb .30" pellet would make in a bean can!
    Probably an expensive to feed plinker but why not? Maybe the OP likes to have/collect unusual calibres?
    Each to their own fellas
    Thank you sir - correct - guilty as charged 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    true, it'd be interesting, just impractical
    I understand your point mr b, as I too own FACair (.22, .25, etc). And it does have its place where mr bouncy rimfire does not - believe me! But I was asking if anyone had seen the 30cal barrel at Kempton? ‘Practicality’ is an opinion and point of view after all
    I was counting on you knowledgeable chaps, who often frequent Kempton and have an eye for such curiosities, may have more info on its existence + whereabouts. Failing that, I wonder if Steve Harper is still in business or available to chat to?

Steve Harper used to produce his own pellets for these .30 barrels. It was a 25 grain .25" Bisley Superfield bumped up to .30". They worked well.

Thumbs up

Good to know mate - thanks

I did not see the 30 cal HW80 barrel at the last Kempton but saw it the time before, i did have a look at it and can not remember who the owner said had made it but i am sure it was not Steve Harper.

Thanks mate. Was it a trade table or an individual selling? Don’t suppose you remember who it was please?

Sorry i don't know the sellers name but he has been there as a seller almost every time its been on.

Ok thanks mate

I know one our club members has such a barrel and had a stall at the fair, so I'll ask him when next at Bisley. Can't promise this is the one you saw but no harm in asking.

Kind regards,

John