Thread: Webley mk3 manufacture date.

Question Webley mk3 manufacture date.

Hi,

Just wondered if any one could please date a webley mk3 I was given as a freebie when I bought another rifle.

I know very little about early Webleys but from a Google it looks like a late mk3 as it has a 'smooth' stock and the squared loading tap. Serial number is f6467.

Not too sure what to do with it. I'm empted to tidy and service it as a mini project (as its complete, less stock badge) and shoots well.

Any help appreciated

Dave.
    In fact capitalisation is important all the time. It's the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse" and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse"

This is a very late model, evidenced by the 'F' prefix. As I understand it, the 'F' prefix began in Jan/Feb 1975 and continued until late Dec 1975. However, for some reason (according to Thrale I believe - see his book on Webley air rifles and air pistols), the production numbers suddenly jumped from around 1500 to 4500, with nothing in between. It sounds as if yours was one of the very last made, perhaps in Dec 1975, but others here will be able to furnish precise information. I recall production finished some distance before F7000 was reached.

Pity it has lost the disc.

Has it been knocked about?

Any idea what it is doing over the chrono?

Rgds
    A

As stated above, according to Chris Thrale's book, F6467 was one of the very last rifles produced on 06/12/1975, assembled by Dave.
    I have a few original stock inserts if you need one.

Andrew & Troubledshooter,

Thanks so much for the replies and the great information including build date!

The rifle appears to be in decent condition for its age and doesn't show signs of over abuse, i do think at some point its storage left a little to be desired though. Ill get a few pics snapped of it when i get chance, its not mint obviously but pictures of one of the very last made may be useful for someone?

I've not had chance to chrono it, as basically i don't have one yet. I've just returned to air rifle shooting after a long break (see my join date etc) but once i do have some info i'll attach to this post.

TS, i will PM you shortly about the stock badge insert - the original is actually present but the logo has worn away

Just out of interest, any ideas what the serial number of the very last one made would likely be?

Again, thanks for the informative replies.

Best regards,

Dave.
    In fact capitalisation is important all the time. It's the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse" and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse"

Chris lists the last recorded serial number as 6547.

Your rifle has some sentimental value, I would submit, by virtue of the fact that it was within the last 100 manufactured; whether that translates into financial value, at the margin, is another matter. It would, of course, be pleasing to have the final production rifle but perhaps that is either in a private collection, as mint, or in the hands of someone who is ignorant of the fact.

As I mentioned earlier, it is strange that the batch numbers suddenly jumped, leaving so many thousands of 'F's unallocated in between.

Like you, I have recently returned to air rifles but after a rather longer break. The Mk3 was the second rifle I bought and it therefore holds some sentimental resonance. I think the general view is that it will produce between 9.5 - 10.5 ft/lbs. I believe something in the region of 80,000 were produced between 1946-75.

A

Hi I have new genuine W & S stock insert discs if you want one e mail me at ray210645@yahoo.co.uk
    Your rifle was made in the last week of MKIII production; it was in block 1 of the last 12 blocks of ten; [F6461 -6470] made W/E 6-12-1975
    It is listed as .22 cal and was made by David, second senior hand on the section. Therefore it was made Monday 1-12-1975.
    Info is 100% correct from actual bench handbook not Webley records [Chris used this info in potted from in his book]
    Hope this is helpful
    abellringer

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Chris lists the last recorded serial number as 6547.
    Just found your reply to a post about dating Webley MK3 .22 underlever air rifles ,I was given one years ago in a very sorry state , stock was bleached from being left in a garden by a tree for several years, the metal parts were very corroded but with love and care the stock looks very good and the metal work is not that bad and shot fine for a few years after that so I lent it to a friend who has chicken and had a ratty problem, he has just returned it and it did not shoot well at all ,so new spring and leather washer and it is now better than ever, so in reading the reply about dating got me wondering how old is this one, but I can say I am a little confused because the serial number is very clear and appears to be 49966 there does not appear to be any letters, in saying that the four definitely looks like a 4 and not a letter A because it is the same size as the numbers so upper case???
    any clues would be appreciated, Thanks

Bought ours new 1965
    No 45167 so guess at '66/'67
    for yours.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Bought ours new 1965
    No 45167 so guess at '66/'67
    for yours.

Thanks deejayuu. 50 plus then.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkapaul View Post
    Just found your reply to a post about dating Webley MK3 .22 underlever air rifles ,I was given one years ago in a very sorry state , stock was bleached from being left in a garden by a tree for several years, the metal parts were very corroded but with love and care the stock looks very good and the metal work is not that bad and shot fine for a few years after that so I lent it to a friend who has chicken and had a ratty problem, he has just returned it and it did not shoot well at all ,so new spring and leather washer and it is now better than ever, so in reading the reply about dating got me wondering how old is this one, but I can say I am a little confused because the serial number is very clear and appears to be 49966 there does not appear to be any letters, in saying that the four definitely looks like a 4 and not a letter A because it is the same size as the numbers so upper case???
    any clues would be appreciated, Thanks
    Chris Thrale lists numbers 49893 and 49993 as both made in May 1966. Which suggests yours was too.

Troubledshooter will hopefully be along soon with his ability to tell you which day it was made, morning or afternoon, and by whom.