Thread: Anshutz 335

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All very interesting. I had a thread here a year or so ago to ascertain the existence of the 'Magnum' but I cannot recall what this term actually designated.

I think some 335s were for the German market and therefore sub 6ft/lb.

Anyway, Baz, any idea what yours is performing at and any idea what yours is performing at duomatic? I ask because between you, it seems you have a Mk1 and a Mk2, the former also being a magnum.

It also seems that, in addition to the barrel release (Mk1 pull forward and Mk2 at an angle per Baz's photo), the Mk2 has a different rear sight which is governed by the circular screw (see Baz's photo). The Mk1 seems to have a sliding sight.

Rgds
    A

Andrew, I had to remove two coils from the spring and reform it to get the power down. The spring is very high quality steel, 30 coils at 3.2 wire diam. Now 28 coils.
    The rifle is very easy to strip as the solid trigger block comes out in one piece after two cross pins removed. Be careful in re-assembling as only one pin takes the strain and the other can slide out before the action is put in the stock. The finish and fit of this rifle is very good, especially the barrel to the jaws. This all helps with accuracy and yesterday I was getting 5p groups at 20 metres at the range. The piston seal is a very hard material, does not seem to be the usual polyurethane.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 24-02-2019 at 09:18 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I had a real clean example here recently that didn't fit in my collection, damn near had to give it away. I try not to think about it too much, but believe in the end I got £65

Thanks Baz. That sounds quite rare because, I have read in other threads, the 335 was designed to run at around 10 - 10.5 ft/lbs but if it was worked upon to extract more, then there often were problems with the recoil and the front stock mounts were prone to splitting/shearing.

I am not sure whether the word 'magnum' actually meant anything other than that it exceeded the German power limit of around 6ft/lb.

I am not sure, either, whether there was any noticeable difference in the performance between the Mk1 and Mk2, other than the lever to release the barrel, although it seems the rear sights were different. Was there a difference in power, I wonder - perhaps with some alteration to the front stock mounts to address the apparent problem?

I understand these were accurate rifles and I had been thinking of adding one to my collection but was still investigating the differences between the models.

Rgds
    A

I have two MK1's one in .22 and one in .177 both are in excellent condition.The Annie 335 is an overlooked vintage collectible IMO the build quality is very high and in fact better than the FWB Sport that has the cult following!
    Last edited by mrto; 25-02-2019 at 07:24 AM.

I agree.
    They are also much cheaper than the FWBs!

I have had a few and they usually go for around the £170 mark.

I sold one to a chap on here and one to the builder who did our kitchen.
    I always check to see if people I have to pay like airguns !

I had the target model which I think I sold last year at Kempton unless it’s still lurking somewhere
    Last edited by gingernut; 25-02-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Do you need your gutters clearing?

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I sold one to a chap on here and one to the builder who did our kitchen.
    I believe that was me,was it a mk1?... I wanted to compare it to the mk 2 I had to see if there was any big difference between the two and apart from the stock and barrel release there wasn't....open sights were the same as well, I think the sliding rear sight mentioned was on the 330 model or was that 333 model?
    I seem to recall something being mentioned about a slightly larger diameter air chamber on the magnum (mk3) but cannot be sure if that is correct,seem to remember some short piece about the rifle in one of the airgun mags back then.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    I had a real clean example here recently that didn't fit in my collection, damn near had to give it away. I try not to think about it too much, but believe in the end I got £65
    Pah, some mate you are Jaimie --- you didn't offer it to me at 65 quid.

image.jpeg

[QUOTE=T 20;7649785]Pah, some mate you are Jaimie --- you didn't offer it to me at 65 quid.

He offered it to me and very nice it is 😃

Both my original mk2 335 (purchased 1980) and the mk1 I had and indeed the current mk2 I have were all fitted with the dial rear sight and leather piston seal.
    The sliding rear sight might be the 333 model....as for ptfe seals,from what I know these are after market types, I have one fitted to a mk2 now and imo its a bit more harsh to shoot compared with leather.
    I also have a diana seal which I will replace the ptfe with.
    They shoot nice at around 9-10ftlbs.
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

The BSF S70 was made to shoot 11ft/lbs and has similar scale to the 335's. I don't think in this scale chamber/rifle getting 11ft/lbs does them any favours. Heck even a FWB Sport do better at a tad under rather than over 11ft/lbs.
    Its not they can't be made to do more but just behave better with less.

In its day the 335 was always considered a bit low powered than the competition. In those days few people were so chrono needy, few had them and if they did it was a shop's pendulum! More importantly was could you hit something with your rifle in the farmyard. Everything else was marketing hype. The 335 certainly was known for its accuracy though lost out on the hype front. Most rifles were sold with the promise: "full power!"; but the 335 wasn't. Once out of the shop few people knew what their guns were shooting power wise thereafter.
    Of note the 335's aren't "big", and are light weight. Just nice, but not super sexy "man sized".

Anyhow, the 335 had the reputation for just being a darn well made accurate rifle. The MKII's I've had all shot well, with good triggers. A pleasure to shoot. The stamped checkering was a bit ugg.
    An excellent example often change hands at the £200 mark. It would need to be truly mint to do better. Sadly will always be priced below more "powerful" rifles even though few match them for outright well made quality. For the back garden then few better them for pure enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    Both my original mk2 335 (purchased 1980) and the mk1 I had and indeed the current mk2 I have were all fitted with the dial rear sight and leather piston seal.
    The sliding rear sight might be the 333 model....as for ptfe seals,from what I know these are after market types, I have one fitted to a mk2 now and imo its a bit more harsh to shoot compared with leather.
    I also have a diana seal which I will replace the ptfe with.
    They shoot nice at around 9-10ftlbs.
    you are correct,the 333 has the sliding elevation on the sight,still a very nice unit.i got the 333 minus the rear sight a while back,found one on line and to my amazement the dovetail was different,apparently they changed part way through production.thanks to "frakor" for that information and as he put it"if you ordered one not knowing you were bound to get the wrong size dovetail"
    atb