Thread: Barnett spitfire/ webley tracker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Barnett spitfire/ webley tracker

Hi guys bought the gun not long ago been trying to find a manufacture date 10794 serial no can anyone help

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion 1200 View Post
    Hi guys bought the gun not long ago been trying to find a manufacture date 10794 serial no can anyone help
    My recollection is that the period when Webley Trackers were marked as Barnett Spitfires and marketed in the US was fairly early in production. Around 1983-85. Trackers were made from 1982-96 or so. They were still advertised until around 2000, but my hunch is that by then they were new old stock. My other hunch is that sales were high for the first few years, but rapidly tailed off once things like the HW77 and Diana 54 arrived on the market.

I have a personal theory that 1980s Webley serial numbers were not done sequentially, and therefore are a poor guide to production date. I’ve seen a few too many guns (including from the factory collection) that had “early” serials with later features (eg the trigger, presence of a safety on the Beeman C1, the later camo stock on a low-number Tracker), or vice-versa.

It’s not even clear which rifles shared the same “serial” blocks - Chris Thrale speculates that the short Tracker and long Viscount did, but isn’t 100% sure. Unfortunately, the relevant Webley paperwork appears to have been thrown in the bin and lost when proper Webley folded.

Trackers are cool (I have a Deluxe ). Spitfires are even cooler, through scarcity, and because they often have that weird rear sight, apparently borrowed from a crossbow. They are actually pretty average shooting machines, but that does not reduce their coolness.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    My recollection is that the period when Webley Trackers were marked as Barnett Spitfires and marketed in the US was fairly early in production. Around 1983-85. Trackers were made from 1982-96 or so. They were still advertised until around 2000, but my hunch is that by then they were new old stock. My other hunch is that sales were high for the first few years, but rapidly tailed off once things like the HW77 and Diana 54 arrived on the market.

I have a personal theory that 1980s Webley serial numbers were not done sequentially, and therefore are a poor guide to production date. I’ve seen a few too many guns (including from the factory collection) that had “early” serials with later features (eg the trigger, presence of a safety on the Beeman C1, the later camo stock on a low-number Tracker), or vice-versa.

It’s not even clear which rifles shared the same “serial” blocks - Chris Thrale speculates that the short Tracker and long Viscount did, but isn’t 100% sure. Unfortunately, the relevant Webley paperwork appears to have been thrown in the bin and lost when proper Webley folded.

Trackers are cool (I have a Deluxe ). Spitfires are even cooler, through scarcity, and because they often have that weird rear sight, apparently borrowed from a crossbow. They are actually pretty average shooting machines, but that does not reduce their coolness.
    Thanks for your reply mate , I bought the spitfire because I had a tracker in my youth , it came with the rear sight on the scope rail , getting a welsh willie tune kit brought over next month , IV also bought a 1987 Diana yesterday

Diana 52

According to the limited records I have, Barnet Spitfire 10794 was one of a batch of 286 .177's produced in 1982. I do not have exact production dates, unlike many Trackers and Viscounts.
    All the Spitfire numbers of both calibres appear to have been produced in 1982.

I too am a fan of the Tracker and still have several in my collection, including a very nicely patterned De-luxe stocked version, and a boxed mint Camo version, which in my opinion is probably the least aesthetically pleasing of all Trackers.

Thanks mate , greatly appreciated