Thread: Diana 52

Diana 52

Just got a Diana 52 in .22 manufacturing date is 87 , bit of a jump the gun kind of question but does anyone have one ? I'm interested in what kind of scope mounts people are using? Do they all need the droop compensator on them ? I'm going to get the mount with the plate on the front so the stop pins don't damage the scope rail ? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion 1200 View Post
    Just got a Diana 52 in .22 manufacturing date is 87 , bit of a jump the gun kind of question but does anyone have one ? I'm interested in what kind of scope mounts people are using? Do they all need the droop compensator on them ? I'm going to get the mount with the plate on the front so the stop pins don't damage the scope rail ? Thanks in advance
    My 1988 vintage one benefitted from a droop comp mount and bears a BKL one.

The mounts you are looking at are probably fine, but you ideally need the one for an early (TO1) rail, not the later TO5/6, IIRC, as the rails are different lengths. I don’t know if the later type works in the early guns, I suspect it does, but just looks a bit odd.

Hiya.
    I bought mine about a year or so after the production date of yours. Mine is also in .22 and is the Firebird model with the medallion set into the underside of the pistol grip.

I've not really shot the gun for any extended period of time. Mainly due to the number of other guns I own i.e gun time gets spread over lots of different models. I've used standard two piece mounts on mine over the years but with the recoil pin set into one of the ramp recess holes set within the ramp surface. I can't recall having any problems of scope shift at all. And zero is held pretty good.

I do know in high power form these guns can be scope destroyers however. So it may be prudent to either start out with a cheap scope with yours until you can assess how kind it will be to a scope 😉 or perhaps in time even consider a scope with a dampening system built in.

From memory I have had to shim the rear mount on my 52 to get the scope and bore to align. I've had to do the same with a few HWs down the years as well.

Good luck with yours. They are fine guns.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

The mounts you are looking at are probably fine, but you ideally need the one for an early (TO1) rail, not the later TO5/6, IIRC, as the rails are different lengths. I don’t know if the later type works in the early guns, I suspect it does, but just looks a bit odd.
    Didn't know that thanks mate

Wink

Thanks for the info ice cream freezer

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Hiya.
    I bought mine about a year or so after the production date of yours. Mine is also in .22 and is the Firebird model with the medallion set into the underside of the pistol grip.

I've not really shot the gun for any extended period of time. Mainly due to the number of other guns I own i.e gun time gets spread over lots of different models. I've used standard two piece mounts on mine over the years but with the recoil pin set into one of the ramp recess holes set within the ramp surface. I can't recall having any problems of scope shift at all. And zero is held pretty good.

I do know in high power form these guns can be scope destroyers however. So it may be prudent to either start out with a cheap scope with yours until you can assess how kind it will be to a scope 😉 or perhaps in time even consider a scope with a dampening system built in.

From memory I have had to shim the rear mount on my 52 to get the scope and bore to align. I've had to do the same with a few HWs down the years as well.

Good luck with yours. They are fine guns.

Dave
    Thanks Dave , I've seen pics on the net here with the scope stop holes gouged out I believe they are around 19 fpe here , I have a couple of old cheap scopes I'm going to try first

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion 1200 View Post
    Thanks Dave , I've seen pics on the net here with the scope stop holes gouged out I believe they are around 19 fpe here , I have a couple of old cheap scopes I'm going to try first
    The holes are not a good scope stop, or intended to be. Do not use them as such.

Thanks guys

The holes are not a good scope stop, or intended to be. Do not use them as such.
    Agreed. Only in recent years have Diana put proper stop pin holes in the rail. I go for good quality mounts and remove the stop pin if present.
    Others recommend fixing the mount well forward so that the stop pin rests against the front of the rail. I have not found this practical or necessary.