Thread: Removing a ML Shotgun from ticket?

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella

Removing a ML Shotgun from ticket?

A question for the Muzzleloaders of this forum. Many years ago I bought a fine Muzzleloading 9 bore live pigeon gun by a good London maker. Most definately an antique, It was put on my Shotgun cert & shot occasionally usually at pigeons over drilled crops, (worked very well!) It hasnt been shot now for ten years.
    I am at the point where i am contemplating giving up my shotguns on account of a long term injury.
    It used to be the case that you could ask for such a piece to be removed from your ticket & then sold as an antique.
    Question is, Is this still the case? Can it be removed from my ticket & sold as an antique, Or Kept as a non shooting antique.
    It would be a disaster if it had to be deactivated & would destroy its value.
    I will be asking BASC firearms dept but wonder if anyone else has any insight?

I added a friend's tower enfield 577 musket to my SGC with a simple email a few years ago. I am now having it taken off and reverted back to section 58 Antique. I sent an email to that effect a couple of months ago. Should be simple and it certainly used to be, but I have an FEO coming out on Wednesday to check that it can revert. (That and my FAC, SGC and exp ticket renewal). It seems that they are becoming more careful about what becomes antique. I'll let you know how it goes!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I have put on / taken off a muzzle loading sbs a couple of times with no problem.
    I usually send an email, that way you have a copy

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    It seems that they are becoming more careful about what becomes antique. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Ah yes, the ever-popular five-foot long muzzle-loading single-shot percussion musket - THE weapon choice of almost every slimeball little scroat who holds up a corner store or mugs an old person... It may have been on a SGC, but it has ALWAYS been an antique, well, since 1900 or so, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Ah yes, the ever-popular five-foot long muzzle-loading single-shot percussion musket - THE weapon choice of almost every slimeball little scroat who holds up a corner store or mugs an old person... It may have been on a SGC, but it has ALWAYS been an antique, well, since 1900 or so, that is.
    He has seven more of them but they don't matter it seems.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    He has seven more of them but they don't matter it seems.
    I haven't got any smooth bores, yet. But I'm working on it. I feel a Charleville hovering on the horizon....

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    A question for the Muzzleloaders of this forum. Many years ago I bought a fine Muzzleloading 9 bore live pigeon gun by a good London maker. Most definately an antique, It was put on my Shotgun cert & shot occasionally usually at pigeons over drilled crops, (worked very well!) It hasnt been shot now for ten years.
    I am at the point where i am contemplating giving up my shotguns on account of a long term injury.
    It used to be the case that you could ask for such a piece to be removed from your ticket & then sold as an antique.
    Question is, Is this still the case? Can it be removed from my ticket & sold as an antique, Or Kept as a non shooting antique.
    It would be a disaster if it had to be deactivated & would destroy its value.
    I will be asking BASC firearms dept but wonder if anyone else has any insight?
    Section 58 (2) of the Firearms Act "nothing in this Act relating to firearms shall apply to an antique firearm which is sold, transferred, purchased, acquired or possessed as a curiosity or ornament."

So very definitely yes. So long as your original antique muzzleloader is kept solely as a curiosity or ornament, then it may be kept or sold as an antique.

The best approach is to write to your firearms licensing department and tell them that you are not using the gun and that in future it will be kept as an antique. That's it. You don't need them to do anything.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Thank you gents for your replies, Think this is the way forward.

Just had my visit. No problem at all removing the muzzle loader. It was clearly an antique. Then had an hour long chat about medical reports and police policy etc after he rather innocently asked if I had any questions.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi