Thread: Valuation please

Valuation please

Gents

I have a couple of old Remmingtons that I need an estimate of their value.

The first is marked ‘E Remmington & Sons Ilion New York USA, Patened Sept 14 1858’. It has a serial number of 23198. I’ve been told it’s a transitional model.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9471/Wk6858.jpg

The second is marked ‘Manufactured by Remmington Ilion NY, Patented Dec 17 1861’ its serial number is 8847. I believe it’s a Remmington Old Model 1861.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1975/F5aH7S.jpg

These are a couple of antique guns I’m selling on behalf of my Cousin in law following the death of his father.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Bill

Could anyone suggest where I could go to get a valuation or to sell these pistols?

Thanks

Bill

I’d suggest sending some photos to Holts or Wallis & Wallis they may give an idea of value

Hi,

The photos aren't really good enough to value from. A detailed understanding of their condition is needed to be able to value them.

Your New Model Army has a low serial number. The 1861 appears to have had sights added to it, this doesn't help its value.

As a guide (for both models), if the revolver was in crisp condition with a high percentage of bluing and all the inspectors marks and cartouches intact (on wood and metal), then £4000 and up. For a good clean gun, with uncleaned patina, no finish, mechanically crisp, i.e. good timing and lock up, no pitting, all markings intact and legible, then around £2500. Then down from there depending upon the flaws.

Holts hold over 20 valuations days around the country (check their website under "Selling"). You could take them to one. Or you could post them to Holts for a valuation. Holts would be as good a place as any to sell them, they are very good at getting a fair value for stuff. (I have no association with Holts, only as a customer, both buying and selling).

If either of them is marked 'Remmington' then they are a fake.

There is only a single letter 'm' in Remington.

Thanks for you help guys, I’ll have a word with Holts.

Bill