Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
I just picked up a Raider 10 shot second hand. Its a nice gun, possibly a little big for lamping from a motor, but i like it with the exception of the damn safety.

From what I read in the manual the rifle is safe when the bolt is back and down, moving the bolt forward indexes the mag, loads a pellet and cocks. If I then decide not to fire and want safety on I can pull the bolt back, fine except that when I next ready to fire pushing the bolt forward indexes the mag and loads a second pellet

Hope someone can tell me I am doing something wrong. The gun is awkward enough in a confined space last thing I need is a dodgy safety.
I think the gun actually cocks when you pull the bolt back, and indexes a pellet when you push the bolt forward.

What I tend to do, if I have already indexed a pellet and cocked the gun is pull the bolt back, remove the magazine, take hold of the bolt and while pointing it in a safe direction squeeze the trigger while easing the bolt forward. That means the gun will need to be cocked again before it will fire, and there's no magazine to index a second pellet.

I then put a pellet in the empty space on the mag so I don't have to fumble about positioning it to index the next pellet properly when I put it back in, but this is just me.