Thread: Webley Raider 10-shot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webley Raider 10-shot

Arjimlad’s review of the Webley Raider 10-shot - Part 1

Vital Statistics

This is a blued steel sporter PCP with a 10-shot bright aluminium magazine. The action is worked by a bolt on the right hand side of the gun which is lifted then pulled back to cock the gun and index the magazine in a fashion a little reminiscent of a magazine bolt action rifle. The stroke is short, 3cm only. There is a notch at the rear of the travel of the bolt into which it can be locked for unloading the magazine and to keep the gun in a safe condition.

The left hand side of the action is covered with a large plate proudly showing the model name and maker of this gun. This might be a little too bold for some but it is good advertising for Webley.

The overall length of the gun is 38”.

The stock is unashamedly a sporter. I have the beech model. Starting from the rear, the stock has a slim ventilated brown rubber pad with black spacer. Being ambidextrous, it has a raised cheek piece on each side, a raked pistol grip which is angled nearer to the 45 degree mark than the 90 degree favoured for a true target style, chequering on each side of the grip, slab sides from the grip until 4” or so in front of the trigger guard where the stock then grows “wings” on each side to aid grip. The stock tapers in depth and the end is raked back from its base. It is a good fit for me, 5`11” average build as I am. There is plenty of depth in the stock to screw a QD stud in for a bipod or sling. The trigger guard has a nice shape, is made of metal, deeply blacked, and has a raised patch of waffle effect metal moulded into its base, for improved grip I suppose.

There is a small black and white pressure gauge in the base of the stock 5” forward of the front of the trigger guard.

The owner’s manual gives the gun’s weight as 6.6 lbs or 3 kilos. The barrel itself is but 13.8” long. It is housed within a shroud some 18” long which gives the gun the appearance of having a varmint style barrel. In fact, the last 4.2” of the shroud contain moderator baffles and a knurled screw-in end plug holding these in place. The baffles are removable for cleaning. A replacement end cap is available which provides a male thread suitable for a standard ½” UNF moderator such as the latest Weihrauch or Parker-Hale.

The air cylinder stops some 5 3/8ths” short of the muzzle of the barrel. It has a quick-fill aperture at the underside of the end nearest the muzzle. This is protected by a nicely made aluminium dust plug - no plastic here. The cylinder is finished off with a smooth circular plate. The barrel shroud is fixed to the cylinder at the end nearest the muzzle.

Throughout the gun, all screws are allen-headed, save for one trigger guard screw which screws into wood alone.

The trigger has two stages and is adjustable for length of first stage and weight of pull. The blade itself can also be moved.
    Last edited by arjimlad; 21-10-2005 at 12:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Part 2

Operation

Having secured my Hawke Airmax 6-18x44 to the long scope rail, and adjusted for correct eye relief and level cross hairs, I used the muzzle end plug adaptor to attach a basic moderator of unknown make to the gun. This moderator is only a little larger in diameter than the barrel shroud itself, and adds 4 ¼ “ to the length of the gun. It is a simple design, consisting internally of one long spring with a washer in the middle.

The magazine is released by moving the bolt back and engaging it in its rearmost position. The magazine itself pivots around a small steel pin, which has a knurled tip accessible from in front of the scope rail. This pin is simply pulled out (it is retained in a channel) and the magazine pushes itself out a little proud for easy acquisition.

The magazine is reminiscent of those supplied with my Umarex CP88, save that it is bigger and lighter. There is a channel cut around the magazine where the pellets skirts sit and a pip in the centre around the axis hole. The front-facing side of the magazine is quite smooth by contrast. It would be hard to insert the magazine the wrong way round. The pellets are held in place by a rubber O-ring which runs around the outside of the magazine in a slot. The O-ring slot is cut just into the pellet holes, and allows the pellets to be held by the waist.

The magazine can be inserted into the gun and held in place with the right thumb whilst the little finger pushes the pin back into place. The pin does not seem to click or otherwise to be retained in place.

The bolt is then returned to the forward position and pushed down to engage with a slot in the action. This pushes a pellet probe forwards which inserts a pellet from the magazine into the bore. The gun is ready to fire. The bolt is simply lifted, pulled right back to cock the action, pushed forward and re-seated in the slot to reload the gun.

It is possible to see whether the next chamber in the magazine is full or empty. The magazine moves in a clockwise direction.

Part 3

Shooting Impressions

Shooting after work and after the children are in bed means shooting at night at this time of year. Turning on the lights in the back rooms of my house, I illuminate both my backstop and a shooting position 10m away. I set up a rough benchrest style operation with a plastic garden table and chair, and used my old FT seat and a rolled up sheet as a support for the rifle.

First, I simply plinked with the gun for 10 shots, without zeroing. A shot at a line of empty 12 bore shells told me that the gun was shooting 1” to the left and a touch high at 10 yards.

The gun had hardly any muzzle report at all. There was a prrrp noise from the action rather like a frog’s croak. I will try the gun without the additional moderator later, to see what the sound is like unmodified. I cannot imagine that a better quality moderator would make the gun quieter, but if I ever acquire one, will see what results it gives.

The gun moved slightly on firing with the impact of the hammer. This was not appreciable though, and over a longer distance I am sure I would still be able to follow the pellet’s flight through the scope.

I then put up a standard 10m 5-bull air rifle target and proceeded to zero the scope so that the gun would shoot 1” high at this range. I was concerned that the moderator might affect accuracy and was quite prepared to chuck it away.

I found the trigger a little heavier than I am used to. The stock needs to be removed to adjust this, so I may do this later. There is a very slight amount of creep, which is predictable and did not detract from my enjoyment of the gun. The trigger is nothing like as bad as an untreated CZ rimfire, but not as good as that on my old Titan Mohawk.

Using 9x mag and Accupells, the first 5-shot group was 1/8th" centre to centre. The pellets all went through the same hole. I moved the group over to where I wanted it to be on the target and again, the group was very small indeed. I then emptied a full magazine into a target using the upper mildot on the scope, which was set at 6x for this exercise. My group opened up to ½” centre to centre mainly because I was having fun rather than really trying to keep things tight.

Switching to RWS Superdomes, I carried on plinking at a double spinner (45mm and 13mm discs) and resetting 45mm disc target, empty shotgun shells, a beer can (end on of course) until I had fired 80 shots or so. I didn’t miss anything I aimed at, nor did I notice any drop off at all in zero. The pressure gauge now read 120 BAR, a drop of 50 BAR from the 170 the gun came with. I was able to reload fast enough to keep the spinner spinning.

The 300-BAR 3ltr bottle I bought with the gun is with the diving shop being charged from empty. I will pick it up tomorrow and recharge the gun to the recommended 190BAR pressure.

My first impressions are that this is a superb British product. I love the lines of the gun, the way that the cylinder finishes short, allowing the barrel to protrude. It looks like a gun, if you know what I mean.

For me, it balances beautifully, and the large Airmax scope does not look cumbersome or out of place. The moderator adds to the grace of the design, being only ever so little thicker than the diameter of the barrel shroud. I am sure that this will put many rabbits in the bag. Without seeming so light as to bounce around on aim, particularly for a standing shot, it is that much lighter than my Mohawk, and will be easier to carry as well as easier to load. I am very pleased with the choice I made.
    Last edited by arjimlad; 06-10-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Woke up this morning and realised I had omitted to mention the trigger !

Rather important, so I edited to include comment on this now.

nice review...any pics ???

jeff
    GOOD DEALS...Here,post 6404

Not got sorted on pix yet I'm afraid..reliant on DV stills only so they are not best quality, and I have not got around to getting picture hosting. Gun Mart has an ad for it though..

Quote Originally Posted by arjimlad View Post
    Arjimlad’s review of the Webley Raider 10-shot - Part 1

Vital Statistics

There is a small black and white pressure gauge in the base of the stock 5” forward of the front of the trigger guard.
    Mine Doesn't have a pressure gauge at all, does anyone know why this is???
    Also it is a .177 but has .22 5.5 Cal stamped into the barrel shroud ?? is this strange ??

I love the rifle and have no intention of parting with it but find these two points a little niggly.

Thanks

Paddy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyeds View Post
    Mine Doesn't have a pressure gauge at all, does anyone know why this is???
    Also it is a .177 but has .22 5.5 Cal stamped into the barrel shroud ?? is this strange ??

I love the rifle and have no intention of parting with it but find these two points a little niggly.

Thanks

Paddy
    Is it a raider 10 or just a raider 1 or 2 shot? As far as I know, neither of these had a pressure gauge, only the Raider 10.

Could be one or two reasons why yours is a .177 when it says .22 on it. Someone might have decided to change calibre and had it professionally converted (I think there was a time up to when Webley went bust that the .177 was in very short supply, so the above might have been an easier option for someone).

Or the shop itself when selling from new might have converted it to .177 for a customer as they couldn't get hold of one new.

it is a raider 10 or so the plague on the side says, i thought it might have been modded to .177 if it was originally a .22 would this affect the power?? maybe I should get it chrono'd, don't think it is underpowered shot a rabbit head shot 40yds last night, maybe it is over powered. would be nice to have a gauge, could this be retro fitted do you think?? if so who would do it?

Thanks

paddy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyeds View Post
    it is a raider 10 or so the plague on the side says, i thought it might have been modded to .177 if it was originally a .22 would this affect the power?? maybe I should get it chrono'd, don't think it is underpowered shot a rabbit head shot 40yds last night, maybe it is over powered. would be nice to have a gauge, could this be retro fitted do you think?? if so who would do it?

Thanks

paddy
    Always a good idea to get it chronoed mate. Especially if it's been converted or tinkered about with. If done professionally, the power will have been adjusted and some other work done internally for the change of calibre. But I would still chrono it, just in case.

I'm pretty sure that you can retrofit a gauge, but I'm not sure who could fit one for you. I'm sure a helpful BBS member will be along shortly with a suggestion.

EDIT: Didn't notice this question was in the reviews section as it's an old post that came up in my list of subscribed threads. Apologies mods.
    Last edited by Punchsteve; 11-10-2008 at 05:13 PM.