Thread: 1858 Enfield .577 sighting in

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Graham, I agree with Mr Loiner above - have you actually tried it at 100 yards/m? as you have found out, shooting any Enfield at 25 yards is a waste of powder. i don't know if you HAVE to use Pyrodex because the real thing is too much of a pain to get hold of, or because it is your choice. If you ARE using the sub, what are you shooting and what grade? You will have to build up the foresight to get on the paper at 50 or a 100m, bearing in mind that the original sights were regulated for either 300 or 400 yards. Can you get hold of a tube of JB Weld? We use it to repair/replace metallic parts that are not necessarily under mechanical stress- sights are typical. I suggest that you leave your rear sight well alone - getting it wrong will necessitate the use of something like JB Weld anyhow - and starting off with a built-up foresight that is at least 5mm higher than it is presently. Stick to 50m/yds, and let us know what Minié bullets you are using. Remember that the service load was 2.5 drams - 68gr of what we now call FFg or, sometimes called 2Fg.

Thanks for the replies.
    Wise advice .
    The powder is Pyrodex RS. I use it as I can buy from a chap in Birkenhead .No other restrictions.
    Bullets cast pure lead from a LEE Improved Minie mold 575-472 Krank Cat#90476 Page37.
    Using 45 and 50 grn Loads by Volume.
    When shot at 50 yards quite high. Using it turns out rather lively loads it seems.Safe but a good wollop .
    Need to look into some ballistic programme .
    So will try at a measured 100m but could come down to 100yards.
    I want to get it right now we have better weather and some time for practice.
    Thanks again
    Graham
    Last edited by manxteddy; 28-02-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Designer of BASC Logo