Thread: 1858 Enfield .577 sighting in

1858 Enfield .577 sighting in

I have had this rifle for about a year.
    Originally it had fired 12 shots with it's previous owner a chap I know.
    In getting used to working with Pyrodex and the rifle I find it's shooting very high.
    40cm at 25m etc.

I am considering cutting down the V notch to establish a more reasonable zero for 100m.
    It would seem safer to lower the rear sight rather than raise or create a new front sight and spoil the rifle.
    I have tried several loads.
    Tacfoley kindly suggested 50 grns as a starter some time ago.
    Hickok 45 I know has raised the front post on an older video.
    Any thought about sight adjustment.
    Using improved Minnie's.
    Thanks
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Quote Originally Posted by manxteddy View Post
    In getting used to working with Pyrodex and the rifle I find it's shooting very high.
    40cm at 25m etc.

I am considering cutting down the V notch to establish a more reasonable zero for 100m.
    It would seem safer to lower the rear sight rather than raise or create a new front sight and spoil the rifle.
    Using improved Minnie's.
    Thanks
    Graham
    shoot it at 100 yds first before altering any sights

40cm at 25m etc.

Using improved Minnie's.
    Thanks
    Graham

Graham, I agree with Mr Loiner above - have you actually tried it at 100 yards/m? as you have found out, shooting any Enfield at 25 yards is a waste of powder. i don't know if you HAVE to use Pyrodex because the real thing is too much of a pain to get hold of, or because it is your choice. If you ARE using the sub, what are you shooting and what grade? You will have to build up the foresight to get on the paper at 50 or a 100m, bearing in mind that the original sights were regulated for either 300 or 400 yards. Can you get hold of a tube of JB Weld? We use it to repair/replace metallic parts that are not necessarily under mechanical stress- sights are typical. I suggest that you leave your rear sight well alone - getting it wrong will necessitate the use of something like JB Weld anyhow - and starting off with a built-up foresight that is at least 5mm higher than it is presently. Stick to 50m/yds, and let us know what Minié bullets you are using. Remember that the service load was 2.5 drams - 68gr of what we now call FFg or, sometimes called 2Fg.

That gun was designed to shoot a man on horse back at 150-200yrds

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Graham, I agree with Mr Loiner above - have you actually tried it at 100 yards/m? as you have found out, shooting any Enfield at 25 yards is a waste of powder. i don't know if you HAVE to use Pyrodex because the real thing is too much of a pain to get hold of, or because it is your choice. If you ARE using the sub, what are you shooting and what grade? You will have to build up the foresight to get on the paper at 50 or a 100m, bearing in mind that the original sights were regulated for either 300 or 400 yards. Can you get hold of a tube of JB Weld? We use it to repair/replace metallic parts that are not necessarily under mechanical stress- sights are typical. I suggest that you leave your rear sight well alone - getting it wrong will necessitate the use of something like JB Weld anyhow - and starting off with a built-up foresight that is at least 5mm higher than it is presently. Stick to 50m/yds, and let us know what Minié bullets you are using. Remember that the service load was 2.5 drams - 68gr of what we now call FFg or, sometimes called 2Fg.

Thanks for the replies.
    Wise advice .
    The powder is Pyrodex RS. I use it as I can buy from a chap in Birkenhead .No other restrictions.
    Bullets cast pure lead from a LEE Improved Minie mold 575-472 Krank Cat#90476 Page37.
    Using 45 and 50 grn Loads by Volume.
    When shot at 50 yards quite high. Using it turns out rather lively loads it seems.Safe but a good wollop .
    Need to look into some ballistic programme .
    So will try at a measured 100m but could come down to 100yards.
    I want to get it right now we have better weather and some time for practice.
    Thanks again
    Graham
    Last edited by manxteddy; 28-02-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Designer of BASC Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basharbob View Post
    That gun was designed to shoot a man on horse back at 150-200yrds
    Yes understood. I think in some instances the aim point may well have been the feet/lower leg at certain close ranges to allow for elevations or dangerous spaces .
    Designer of BASC Logo

sure you can buy higher front sights from the states that are dovetailed in etc.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    sure you can buy higher front sights from the states that are dovetailed in etc.
    The Enfield foresight is usually silver-soldered to the barrel. It is the basic service rifle and does not have a dovetail to enable sights to be interchanged, hence my suggestion to build up the foresight with a metalic epoxy compound called JB Weld - or whatever it's called in UK.

There is not enough 'meat' on an Enfield barrel to allow the dovetail cut to be made.

As for the Minié bullet, it SHOULD be 1 to 2 thou smaller than the barrel at the muzzle, sufficient to allow it to be 'thumbed' into the bore, but no looser than that. What is the OP using for a lube?

The Enfield foresight is usually silver-soldered to the barrel. It is the basic service rifle and does not have a dovetail to enable sights to be interchanged, hence my suggestion to build up the foresight with a metalic epoxy compound called JB Weld - or whatever it's called in UK.

There is not enough 'meat' on an Enfield barrel to allow the dovetail cut to be made.

As for the Minié bullet, it SHOULD be 1 to 2 thou smaller than the barrel at the muzzle, sufficient to allow it to be 'thumbed' into the bore, but no looser than that. What is the OP using for a lube?

I am using beeswax with neatsfoot oil .
    It is quite thick so maybe a need to add a little engine oil to make it softer . " Capandball" on Youtube seems to use some 5% Synthetic engine oil.
    The bullets need a little force to engage, a little tap.
    Designer of BASC Logo

I am using beeswax with neatsfoot oil. It is quite thick so maybe a need to add a little engine oil to make it softer . " Capandball" on Youtube seems to use some 5% Synthetic engine oil.
    The bullets need a little force to engage, a little tap.
    That's all good. Dr Balász Németh knows whereof he speaks. I use the same two ingredients - 50/50.

That's all good. Dr Balász Németh knows whereof he speaks. I use the same two ingredients - 50/50.
    Cheers for that Tacfoley.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

LPA Shotgun Sights

Look on line for LPA Front Shotgun Sights I Used one on my PH for a while, there are some that have adjustable up/down movement.