Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Benjamin airguns

Vintage Benjamin airguns

Hi,
    Through an American forum I've become interested in vintage Benjamins.
    Didn't give them much thought first. I guess the main reason is that I hardly ever see one.
    Sheridans are much more common?
    But looking at photos of muzzle pump "Benji's" (eg. 300) up to the early-ish underlever pumpers (312-347) has sparked this dangerous kind of lust that my bank account fears.
    However, "you only live once"
    Just wanted to ask if there are any owners of these airguns on here?
    Their quality looks very high, and I like the sort of quirkiness of their design, especially with the front pumpers.

Many thanks, Louis
    Ps. I did do a "search" on this forum, but couldn't find much info, and none on the 300.

Image courtesy of Marty aka Yng@hrt

In another life I got very interested in them...

I do find the front pumpers kind of cool and quirky. Benjamin made a front pumper pistol as well. Crosmans first rifle was a front pumper which is pretty rare. Trouble is finding one and then beyond that finding one in good shape. Kind of like early Crosman guns there are many but most beat to hell. I try not to get too envolved with the Benjamin treads of the American forum cause I surely don’t need another collecting area right now. Lol

Wow that is fantastic. Very nice, thank you.
    Love the paper work too.
    Especially the drawings of "how to charge the Benjamin automatic air rifle".
    Why can't they make nice manuals like that anymore. A new trend seems to be a QR code printed on the breech.
    Scan it with a smartphone and it takes you to an online manual... Makes me sad.
    Even though I'm only 31 and should get excited by QR codes.

The schnabel on your Model 600 is lovely. Quite a simple stock, if I may say so, but it looks great.
    Do you shoot your Benji's? Are they nice to use?
    Or does "in another life" mean that you don't have them anymore?

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I do find the front pumpers kind of cool and quirky. Benjamin made a front pumper pistol as well. Crosmans first rifle was a front pumper which is pretty rare. Trouble is finding one and then beyond that finding one in good shape. Kind of like early Crosman guns there are many but most beat to hell. I try not to get too envolved with the Benjamin treads of the American forum cause I surely don’t need another collecting area right now. Lol
    Same here. I try not to get interested, but it happens, I guess it's my destiny and I can't help it?
    A good way of self deception

The early front pump Benjamins are nice guns and ARE fun to shoot. Perhaps the most fun I ever had shooting a BB gun was an AUTOMATIC (600) model that I repaired. It has a large air tank and will shoot as fast as you pull the trigger. Not a Crosman 600 but great fun.

The last series (300, 317, 322) front pumpers are a good choice, since they have the same valves as the later models and it's easy to get valve parts. I would suggest that it would be better to look for one of the rifled models (317,322) instead of the much more common 300 smooth bore.

The early models E, F, G are also great fun, these are muzzle loading BB guns. No parts available but super fun guns and repairable if you're good at DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    The early front pump Benjamins are nice guns and ARE fun to shoot. Perhaps the most fun I ever had shooting a BB gun was an AUTOMATIC (600) model that I repaired. It has a large air tank and will shoot as fast as you pull the trigger. Not a Crosman 600 but great fun.

The last series (300, 317, 322) front pumpers are a good choice, since they have the same valves as the later models and it's easy to get valve parts. I would suggest that it would be better to look for one of the rifled models (317,322) instead of the much more common 300 smooth bore.

The early models E, F, G are also great fun, these are muzzle loading BB guns. No parts available but super fun guns and repairable if you're good at DIY.
    Thank you DT, that's some excellent advice.
    317 or 322, here I come

AUTOMATIC, early models... Lots to start reading about.
    But where do I find these guns. Not in the Netherlands, probably difficult to find in the UK.
    It'll mean importing them from the States again. I shall start saving.

The old Benjamins are quality, my favourite is the 257 with rifled barrel, tiny pistol that shoots accurately out to 25 metres, with quite a bit of power for a 4 inch barrel. I resealed my mates front pumper Benjamin pistol with a polyurethane piston seal and was surprised at the power it puts out. The 8 grm CO2 pistols go for £175 boxed, and the front pumpers around £200. There are loads of Benjamins in UK, you can buy them at all the shows.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    The old Benjamins are quality, my favourite is the 257 with rifled barrel, tiny pistol that shoots accurately out to 25 metres, with quite a bit of power for a 4 inch barrel. I resealed my mates front pumper Benjamin pistol with a polyurethane piston seal and was surprised at the power it puts out. The 8 grm CO2 pistols go for £175 boxed, and the front pumpers around £200. There are loads of Benjamins in UK, you can buy them at all the shows.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Agreed. The only really good Benjamin CO2 pistol models. Again, go for the rifled versions over the much more common smooth bore (250)--- unless you're shooting darts, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    317 or 322, here I come

But where do I find these guns. Not in the Netherlands, probably difficult to find in the UK.
    The 300 series front pumpers are rare even here in the US. They were only in production for a few years. May take a long time to find a really good one, but, waiting for a good one is worth it.

The earlier model E and F (they're the same gun) are extremely common here in the US and are not expensive. For a serious DIY'er, there is no more fun gun, imo.

I have a 1960 Benjamin 312 with the distinctive tootsie roll pump arm and a 1980 Benjamin 347 -- personally I prefer these sturdy little carbines to the Sheridan Blue/Silver Streaks.

The later Benjamin GS392/GS397 CO2 rifles are also nice handy little plinkers with the added advantage that they can obtained with a nickel finish.

My own Holy Grail is the Benjamin 397C pump-up -- only 33" long with a Sheridan rocker type safety rather than the Benjamin push-pull type -- one day I might find one!

My friend locally has the Benjamin 392 50TH Anniversary model polished brass with large medallion and special rifle bag and papers. Believe they made 600 in 1987.
    Not sure what they are worth, but he could not sell it last year. He bought it new when they came out.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I think I know where there is a 312 for sale Louis about £250
    not sure on age as I've only seen pics from a distance and unfortunately it's been polished back to brass

Benjamin Franklin 342 Info

Hi

Could be someones lucky Day

The following post was sent in by me a year ago !
    The rifle is still in my posession the price will be the same

I have to locate it in the Loft, the last time I dry fired it functioned well. The secret, I was told, was always to have some air in the chamber to keep valves closed
    Before I put this rifle back in the Loft

A little History of Benjamin Franklin FRS-FCS. should not go amiss

A recent television program on his life.

Benjamin Franklin was one of the founders of The USA.
    He was a prolific Inventor too many to mention, he lived at 38 Craven Street off The Strand in London, for 15 years. A museum is now in that location ? He was the owner of many slaves in the US but became a pro Abolitionist.

This is a collectors piece...Dont make them like this any more
    been in the loft over 35 years

My Benjamin Franklin 342... could be yours for 250.00 plus p/p
    Serial number T382362 . .22 nice brass butt plate. No black finish.

Few light dents in varnished walnut stock nothing bad.
    Has not been 'been fired for several years but holds the charge.

Best way to be sure of getting me is by Email .....if interested
    Regards
    abewilson.
    Last edited by abewilson; 24-07-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    317 or 322, here I come

abewilson.
    ''The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens''
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.

a 342 is not worth as much as a 312 though