Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Longbow

Webley Longbow

A good pal of mine on here called me a couple of weeks ago and said there is a lovely Birmingham made Longbow for sale near to you, go and buy it and you will not regret it.....

So off I went and bought it as instructed and I love it cheers Paul, ambi walnut stock, stunning blueing with a Venom silencer. Topped with a gloss black period Nikko Sterling scope. I have only shot it indoors and its putting pellet on pellet in .177 at 14 metres, so well happy. To be honest I hadn't considered a Webley Longbow before now, but this one is just gorgeous and I really get them now.

I was hoping you guys could tell me a bit more about Webley Longbows, it shoots so well and smooth I wonder if it has been tuned? The blueing and the Venom silencer are another indication, or are they all this good?

Just took some photos.....

That's a real stunner you have there, well done.
    I have a couple of brumbows, my guns shoot great but one as v-mach internals and the other is a Venom sidewinder compact.
    I think they shoot great in standard tune.
    One of my favourites for sure.
    Don't sell it, they didn't make many.
    Les

That's a beautiful looking gun and I do have a soft spot for anything with made in Birmingham England stamped on it

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Afternoon Duggan. As has been said: a truly beautiful rifle my friend. I have a very similar looking SFS tuned walnut .177 Brumbow with a Venom mod, too, and like you, am smitten with it.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Webley Longbow

2003 - 2005 brum ones. Webley Venom did the sidewinder compact which had a shroud, tuned internals and trigger. Std stock or Walnut. All came as standard with 13 inch screw cut LW barrels which were used on the later Tommies ( big brother) VMach do a longstroked conversion (6mm) on these to get the very best out of an already great rifle. Top Dog on this forum is the expert on these rifles. Mach 1.5

That's a thing of beauty. I love the scope too. Great looking combination.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Yep, agreed - very nice and theres just something classy about gloss front AO scopes IMO.

I think I'm going to die of envy.
    What a stunning combination.

I bought one, about a year ago, thanks to the many glowing reviews on this site, not least by Gareth W-B. I am delighted I did and not least for the advice I received here to go ahead. It had been owned by an elderly fellow, who shot it once a year, putting half a dozen pellets through the barrel, wearing white gloves so as to keep it clean, and then it was returned it to its box. Birmingham made, it is remarkably accurate and I find I can put five pellets into a hole where all pellet holes are touching/interlinked, at 25 yards with a modest 4x20 telescope (who needs a pcp?). So sad, therefore, that Webley went under.

A minor niggle I have is that the safety does not always take. To this extent, it moves slightly when the barrel is broken but does not fully engage. Pushing the safety back in again, it then engages second time round. Not sure what is happening here and the gunsmith appears not to have fixed it.

The trigger is first class. Not sure how it compares with the famous HW trigger but given everyone seems to have an HW, I have not ventured down that path (yet).

I believe I have read, here, that the Tomahawk was primarily the export model for the USA, where there is no power limit.

Rgds
    A

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi andrewM. Am glad I helped you decide to make such a wonderful Webley choice. The Brumbow Longbow is imho the very best British break-barrel air rifle ever made bar none (with the Omega hot on it's heels lol). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Longbow

Have to agree with Gareth. The longbow is the best British break barrel produced and yes I'm liking my omega also. The Tommy ( Big brother to the Brumbow) would do 28 ft lbs but of course there was a 12 ft lb version for us Brits, another fine British rifle. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi andrewM. Am glad I helped you decide to make such a wonderful Webley choice. The Brumbow Longbow is imho the very best British break-barrel air rifle ever made bar none (with the Omega hot on it's heels lol). Atb: G.
    I am most indebted to you, Gareth, for your recommendation. Your influence extended further, however: you also persuaded me to buy an Omega and I bought that just before the Longbow and fitted an aperture sight to it. I find it remarkably accurate as well, and it performs at about 11.3 ft/lbs (but I would have to check my notes to discover its favourite pellets). You have viewing rights to both!

Mach, I agree with all you say.

I would be surprised if HW has produced a better break-barrel than the Longbow. Perhaps it has equalled it but possibly not exceeded it.

Rgds
    A

Beautiful rifle you have there.

The excellence attested to by many people should come as no surprise, taking into account the Venom influence.

Sadly I don't own one, a situation that must be corrected at some point.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Very nice Longbow.

Agree with GWB and Mach. The best British b/b ever made. One of the best light b/bs ever made (6.6lbs in walnut, 7.3 in beech). Compare HW99. The Tomahawk is also excellent - half a pound lighter than an HW80, but same performance potential (I thought the long-stroke Tommie made around 20, not 28, ft-lbs) in a much better stock.

The Omega was good, too, but wasn’t actually better than contemporary HWs and FWBs, just different, and cost more. And the later LB and Tommie had the Venom magic, most noticeably the stock design, second the near-Rekord trigger.

The Omega would have been awesome in 1981. It arrived in 1984-5 up against the brand new 77, and lost. The Tommie and Bow arrived in 2000 and 2002, when almost all serious airgunners were into PCPs, or sticking by their 77s or TXs, and no-one much wanted what in the 80s would have been a world-beater.

My Longbow and Tomahawk are top of my “do not sell” list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    2003 - 2005 brum ones. Webley Venom did the sidewinder compact which had a shroud, tuned internals and trigger. Std stock or Walnut. All came as standard with 13 inch screw cut LW barrels which were used on the later Tommies ( big brother) VMach do a longstroked conversion (6mm) on these to get the very best out of an already great rifle. Top Dog on this forum is the expert on these rifles. Mach 1.5
    As you have seen I have the shrouded barrel version in walnut, though mine does not say Longbow on the receiver or anywhere, as it was a non Phantom.

They are nice and then some.

Looked at it last week after a year under that black dog
    Nice things happen to nice people.