Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CAS loads with Unique in .44Mag

I've recently been doing some load testing in .357 to comply with low 25 yard indoor range limits. I have figures for 158gn and Unique, Bullseye and Tin Star (N32C)in 20" barrel if anyone is interested.

If its loading density that bothers you try Vectan AS.
    Many GB GR shooters use it in 44.
    6.0 gn will two thirds fill a case and its green.
    No chance of double charges or not seeing it in the case.
    AS is about the same burn rate as red dot etc.
    I have used a lot of it in 44 with a home cast 200gn bullet.
    Very pleasant to shoot and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I've recently been doing some load testing in .357 to comply with low 25 yard indoor range limits. I have figures for 158gn and Unique, Bullseye and Tin Star (N32C)in 20" barrel if anyone is interested.
    Interested in your load testing results as I also use both bullseye and unique at 25m but outdoors you don’t say what bullets you use but mine are copper jacketed.

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    If its loading density that bothers you try Vectan AS.
    Many GB GR shooters use it in 44.
    6.0 gn will two thirds fill a case and its green.
    No chance of double charges or not seeing it in the case.
    AS is about the same burn rate as red dot etc.
    I have used a lot of it in 44 with a home cast 200gn bullet.
    Very pleasant to shoot and clean.
    Thanks for that... I'll look into it..
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbaker42 View Post
    Interested in your load testing results as I also use both bullseye and unique at 25m but outdoors you don’t say what bullets you use but mine are copper jacketed.
    Sorry Chris - we can't use jacketed bullets on our indoor range - The loads I've been testing were 158gn cast lead from 800 to about 1150 fps. (We have a 375 ftlb energy limit)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbaker42 View Post
    jacketed or washed/plated like the H&N's ?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Sorry Chris - we can't use jacketed bullets on our indoor range - The loads I've been testing were 158gn cast lead from 800 to about 1150 fps. (We have a 375 ftlb energy limit)
    What range you go too?
    Sako A7.270,b14hmr 6.5cm,Weatherby vanguard.223,Browningt-bolt.17hmr,Ruger American.22l,M1903 30/06,Marlin.44 and a fireball throwing m44

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    jacketed or washed/plated like the H&N's ?
    Sorry my mistake, copper plated either LOS or similar whatever is available.

Quote Originally Posted by verminatormjc View Post
    What range you go too?

This is Tubslake Cranbrook.

Well, I tested from 6.0 down to 5.5 with unique and a 240gn rnfp in magnum cases. 5.5gn being the minimum load for special with unique... joy! Nice light recoil and very accurate and consistant as well as being well within range limits.
    I'm going to load up 50 of these to test from different positions while I wait on the tin star that I ordered. I'm also going to cast some bullets from the 215gn mold I have and see if I can get a nice wee load with them. Looking good.. getting ready for the summer leagues!
    Donald

just came across this thread again, and thought Id update... Ive settled on a load of Viht N32C (tin star) 5.8gn/240SWC/magnum case - superb.. Im getting a standard deviation over the chrono of about 15fps!! im no expert but I think thats consistent enough... Im shooting the T&P1 in the summer league and my average score (ive shot 7 out of 8 rounds) is 297 with open sights. Happy with that. Its still sooting up a bit, but not as bad as the unique, and im shooting a hundred rounds or so per session, so I think thats to be expected.

Ive still not got round to casting, every time I go to my RFD he finds a new ice cream tub full of lead for me. but these lee SWC are great, and luckily I have the mould for them too.. I just need to get round to casting.. I think that will be a wee summer job.

I just downloaded the GRT ballistic software as recommended by BlueHeckle, and Im finding it pretty useful for predicting loads - so far its been pretty accurate alongside my chrono results. Im going to try a few different powders, including that Vectan AS and see if I can improve consistency even more. Nothing wrong with having plenty powder on hand.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...ZKV0JhenM0Z3hF
    Donald