Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rossendale MTC - refurbished club range now "officially" opened.

Rossendale MTC - refurbished club range now "officially" opened.

The new Rossendale Model Target Clubs recently refurbished range was well and truly "opened" this week by a visit from Robin and Pam Carter who came to the club to shoot with us on Tuesday evening and stayed with us all day on Wednesday to give some much needed 10 metre air rifle coaching free of charge to our club members.

After a long drive up from Great Yarmouth to visit us we enjoyed their friendly good humoured manner and the generous amount of time they were prepared to share with us.

Robins excellent book on air rifle shooting coaching is well known to many (and owned by most of our club members), so to have the author prepared to travel a long distance to see us and stay here with us for a couple of days was indeed a real treat.

Pam Carter is a well known rifle shooter with plenty of national and international experience and she was happy to give us a superb demonstration of 10 meter air rifle shooting so we could all see this "precision discipline" demonstrated in person.

As self taught air rifle shooters it was a real eye opener to see "how it should be done" and Pam's targets are the best that have been witnessed on our club range to date.

No doubt in the future as we all aspire to improve our target air rifle shooting skills we will remember that it was "Team Carter" that gave us the coaching and demonstration that inspired us.

Robin and Pam have an impressive depth of knowledge and experience and their willingness to share this with us was greatly appreciated by us all.
    Last edited by zooma; 08-03-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Well done !
    Congratulations on your refurbished range .
    Best wishes for the future.

Another "long distance" visitor at the club last night was Nige who came up from Swanley - he just happened to be in the area with his work and had his P44 with him!!

Hope you enjoyed your evening with us Nige - it was good to meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Well done !
    Congratulations on your refurbished range .
    Best wishes for the future.
    Thanks - I hope to make some time to get across to see you at BOAR sometime soon so I can shoot my HW97K outdoors with a scope - it would be quite a change from 10 metre indoor target shooting on our range and I like any excuse to get outdoors in the decent weather!

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 08-03-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Thanks - I hope to make some time to get across to see you at BOAR sometime soon

Bob.
    I know some members can be a bit tedious but BOAR ?
    You are welcome anytime Bob , come along make yourself known , and have a great time .

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    I know some members can be a bit tedious but BOAR ?
    You are welcome anytime Bob , come along make yourself known , and have a great time .
    Sorry - it was an honest spellin mistook

BOAC it is - and you would be most welcome to visit us and have a try at 10 meters anytime you fancy a change.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Thanks

Thanks Bob for your kind words, it was a pleasure to visit old friends again, and we love your club, it was great fun, and we are glad you found it useful.

Have Fun
    Robin and Pam
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thoroughly enjoyed it and thanks for the welcome, great range and anytime I'm in scheduled for Heywood I Will be sure to pick my days carefully
    Thanks again
    Nige

Another "long distance" visitor at the club last night was Nige who came up from Swanley - he just happened to be in the area with his work and had his P44 with him!!

Hope you enjoyed your evening with us Nige - it was good to meet you!
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Power Boost

We had a pleasant surprise when we opened the club range this week to find that the electricians had been in and we have been given a complete new re-wire . Very posh!

It had been planned for many years - "but seeing is believing" - and now it has happened!

Now we have five new 4ft tubular heaters down each side of the range ( these were ex under-pew heaters) and another one across the end of the range giving us a total of 11 heaters fitted and working along with two timers ( one for each side of the range) so we can get the right heat at the right time and keep some background heat in the range at all times.

Those that have visited our club range will know that it is in a cellar underneath a church hall and having a good permanent heat supply can only be good and help to keep the cellar free of the dampness that can affect any cellar range like ours.

We have also gained some new power sockets in the range including at the butt end so we can plug our individual target changer lamps in without the need for any extension leads as we had been using previously.

The individual spot lamps that shine over the butts onto the individual targets (handy when we are shooting at 6 yards and not using the 10 meter target changers) now have their own switches permanently wired-in for the first time and are no longer linked into the ranges main ceiling tube lights so we can control the lighting much better.

This is a significant upgrade to our club facilities and together with the new target changers we have made some good progress in the last 6 months to make our club a nicer place to visit and shoot.

We have vacancies for two new members, so if you are within striking distance of Rossendale and would like to be part of our small friendly club please contact me and arrange a time to visit us so we can show you what we have to offer.

Our small current membership mainly shoots 10 meter match air rifle, but we started by shooting 10 meter target air pistol and retain all the facilities for us to enjoy shooting them too.

One night every month we close the 10 meter range and shoot at the traditional British 6 yards distance. This makes a really nice change and for those that like to shoot their MPL targets in shoulder to shoulder competition with their fellow club members it gives an opportunity to do this too - as well as shooting bell targets - so it makes a nice relaxing evening!

We shoot at 10 meters every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 7pm - 10 pm, and shoot at 6 yards (usually during the last week in each month) by agreement with all members so we know when to bring our 6 yard shooting kit!

Great! Youve got heating on just in time for summer. I bet you will never get 'Oliver Twist' aka 'The soup kitchen kid' out of there now.

That night of bell target shooting competition was SO funny.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Great! Youve got heating on just in time for summer. I bet you will never get 'Oliver Twist' aka 'The soup kitchen kid' out of there now.

That night of bell target shooting competition was SO funny.

ATB
    Ian
    Heating in time for the summer months - thats exactly what we thought - but you can't expect the electrician to work in the cold !

However, we are now "comfy" and the next bout of cold weather should not bother us.

To be fair the cellar temperature does not vary too much during the year in any case, but the average temperature will be kept a little higher now and keeping the cellar dry has to be a better environment for us to enjoy!

We have not seen "Oliver" again since that night, but it was funny. We thought he was a Rivington Club member and they thought he was a Rossendale Club member - he even signed-on to take a turn at the bell target (!), but it turned out that he was more interested in raiding the kitchen - and so I invited him to leave

We have not seen "Oliver" again since that night, but it was funny. We thought he was a Rivington Club member and they thought he was a Rossendale Club member - he even signed-on to take a turn at the bell target (!), but it turned out that he was more interested in raiding the kitchen - and so I invited him to leave
    Cheeky sod. To well dressed to be a Rivi member.

If your members are cold tell them to stand in the corner. Its 90 degrees there.

Cheeky sod. Too well dressed to be a Rivi member.

If your members are cold tell them to stand in the corner. Its 90 degrees there.

Sorry - he looked like a "down and out" so you can see how easy it was to make that mistake

Valuable advice regarding standing in the corner Ian - well up to your usual helpful standard - and well worth a try the next time you cross the "big hill" to visit us .
    Last edited by zooma; 05-04-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Sorry - he looked like a "down and out" so you can see how easy it was to make that mistake

Valuable advice regarding standing in the corner Ian - well up to your usual helpful standard - and well worth a try the next time you cross the "big hill" to visit us .
    Firstly - 'down and out'. Yes, many of our members are down and I think a few have yet to come 'out'.

With regards to 'standing in the corner'. I bet that brought back many bad school day memories.

Firstly - 'down and out'. Yes, many of our members are down and I think a few have yet to come 'out'.

With regards to 'standing in the corner'. I bet that brought back many bad school day memories.
    Perhaps you would like to be the first to try to record a 50 ex 50 at 10 meters with your air pistol live on our range?

You seem to be able to do it on your own range often enough, so this would be your chance to get your name recorded for posterity (but for a good reason this time!) by recording the first "possible" on the refurbished club range.

No excuses, perfect lighting, excellent target changers and good heating - it would all be down (!) to you........and no penalties like having to buy everyone a cup of tea to worry about either!

We have already recorded several "possibles" on the range for supported air rifle shooting, and I have hit one hole groups with the air rifle at 10 meters a few times now, so it only leaves the opportunity for the air pistol to record something memorable - and since we don't shoot air pistol much here any more, it leaves the door open for an intermitent visitor (and previous club member) such as yourself (or Oliver) to grab the honour - if you can