Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lincoln Jeffries won't cock

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Quite easy. Not sure about the tool being special though. I have seen two arrangements to hold stock on, both basically the same though. First job is remove butt plate or other access point to get at the bolt holding stock to action. On some rifles you now need a long broad blade screwdriver to reach down the hole to undo the bolt. On others I have seen it is a standard hex head bolt that needs undoing. On some the bolt is set way down the hole, on others not so far. If you can't see it try a torch. A long screwdriver tends to be easy to get but a bolt head can be a bit more tricky. I have used a standard socket on an extension bar or at times a box socket, sometimes building up the length by fitting one box socket inside another. If stock has never been off since new you may need to squirt a bit of lubrication onto the bolt to help free it. But generally they rarely give trouble. Interestingly on some rifles you can find a manufacture date under the but plate or even a name, maybe of the guy who assembled the rifle? On reassembly I now tend to add a slip of paper indicating the date and what I did.
    Good luck.
    Cheers, Phil
    I noticed during the work to restore cocking that there is a tiny bit of movement in the stock to action joint, but decided that it could go in my "jobs too difficult to tackle now" box. After reading this I will have to reconsider, although I am not quite certain how best to increase the diameter of the stock spigot. Perhaps just a wrapping of paper will be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    I noticed during the work to restore cocking that there is a tiny bit of movement in the stock to action joint, but decided that it could go in my "jobs too difficult to tackle now" box. After reading this I will have to reconsider, although I am not quite certain how best to increase the diameter of the stock spigot. Perhaps just a wrapping of paper will be sufficient.
    Could this be because the bolt is bottoming out? You could try a waher under the bolt head to se if that helps.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Could this be because the bolt is bottoming out? You could try a waher under the bolt head to se if that helps.
    Cheers, Phil
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.