Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: homeloads in .44 taurus tumbling

none of the bullets should be going sideways irrespective of suitable powder weights or crimp.
    personally I would slug the bore then slug the mouths of the chambers.

i seen it on u tube ,where would i get a soft lead ball? in .44
    JB ,FAC superten .22, Dr bob quickfill....ruger 10/22...marlin 795ss .44 taurus

I've been using 6.0gns of Unique for over 20 years, it's my preferred gallery load in .44. Mike the bullets or slug the bore somethingbis not right here and it's not powder from what you've said so far since upping the Lovex load.

Quote Originally Posted by steve R View Post
    i seen it on u tube ,where would i get a soft lead ball? in .44
    What diameter of .44??
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

the heads are .429

Years ago now, but I used to use Unique in .32 ACP, 9mmP and 44 Mag, and it worked very well in all of them, and I never saw a side-on strike.

'Tain't called Unique for nothing.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

UPDATE..... glad to say its sorted boys ,few of you boys were bang on ,i finally grew the balls to hammer a lead slug down the barrel

lead flashing is really soft and melts quickly,went thru a doddle ,with my new digi calipers slug was .428 to .432

the first bullet heads from local shop .429 ,were actually nearly all undersize ,so undersize heads....oversize barrel causing gas blowing past sides of lead head

got some .430 from excellent SHELLHOUSE BULLET COMPANY, better,still slight tumble on some

then got .432 ,sorted after all these weeks here is my eyeball pleaser,thanks again boys 25yards 240gr rnfp 6.3g of unique

Last edited by steve R; 07-06-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Dalua is offline No need for me to cry...
    After a couple of years of loading 'proper' rifle cartridges, my father gave me his .357 carbine because he wasn't using it anymore.

I was used to crimping loads for .308, .270 and .303 with a Lee die, and my initial loads for the .357 I crimped to what felt like the same extent - i.e. pretty lightly.

After many scores of rounds which gave 3-4foot 'groups' at 100yds, I swallowed my pride and took some advice from someone who knew - which was to go for a markedly firmer crimp. I was initlally rather alarmed by the almost white-knuckle effort (relative to the use of the Lee die on the proper centrefires) that was required to sqeeze the case-mouth into the lead of the bullet (not into a 'crimping groove'), but the results were immediate and clear: actual groups!

Whether any of this is relevant to your situation, I don't know.
    We have always known there were two Britains: one extraordinarily pleasant, inhabited by mild, tolerant, kindly people; the other utterly disgusting, inhabited by brutal and malevolent louts. Auberon Waugh

cheers mate ,i only use a slight roll crimp, and seeing as its shootin well ill leave it be, now they dont tumble i can try and reduce the group size ,cheers steve

i had issues with cast bullets in 8mm mauser as i could only gas check them through a .323 lee sizer die and i coulnt hit anything and i mean anything at any distance,,,,,shell house reloading made me some bullets at cast rather than ,323 so they came out at .325 which i had a bullet sizer to gas check......my barrel wanted bullets at .325 to .326
    it finally put bullets on paper at 100 yds.......2 thou made all the difference

good feeling after trying several different things

You could also try hbwc

Thead hijack......

After 22 years of only BP Revolvers, I have finally succumbed to a .357 Taurus LBR.

I had been loading 180gn Bullets over 6gns of HS-6 for use in a lever action but I'm all out of 180gn Lead at the moment.

Tried a box I had sitting in the back of the safe 158gn over 3gns of Vhit N310 - way too slow out of this barrel (Not grouping well).

So please bring me up to speed what is the favourite pet load for these 12" barrelled revolvers in terms of Bullet weight powder choice and weight.

I do have a few 148gn HBWC's but seem to recall people in the past with pistols complaining the hollow skirts separating and causing problems if you tried to push these out under a hotter load - so stoking the powder up on these would perhaps be concern?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

158gn bullet & 6.5gns Unique works well in both my LBR & my Winchester 94.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for that.

Is unique still available or was it affected by the REACH regulations like lots of American powders?
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!